1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Weekend 11-12 August

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, Aug 8, 2012.

1. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The ski trails opened yesterday (Tuesday) for the first time in weeks. This afternoon the snow was heavy and sustained - a mountain worker was (privately) reporting 8cm of fresh snow on Jubilee Trail. With more snow expected tonight and tomorrow, I think we can be assured of the best weekend of this season so far [​IMG]

#1 teckel, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. davidr

davidr Hard Yards

Re: Weekend 11-12 July

you should change the title of the post to be august

3. eurosnowtec

eurosnowtec Hard Yards

Very nice skiing on all the trails

4. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

Any more details ,like : temp, snowfall intensity , snow on the ground at present etc....? [​IMG] [​IMG]

#4 alpino, Aug 9, 2012
  5. teckel

Umm, thanks. [​IMG]
    They're fitting chains at the bottom gate.
    Weatherlink hasn't updated since Monday night. Eurosnowtec, is there anything you can do about that?

#5 teckel, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  6. eurosnowtec

eurosnowtec Hard Yards

Doing what I can with the weather link, we have had a good 12 cm of snow today, skiing is very nice, temp as sat all day at about -1.5 and snow making all day.
    Strong winds all day,

7. teckel

What a great season opening it will be this weekend! [​IMG]

#7 teckel, Aug 9, 2012
  8. Laker1

Laker1 First Runs

My first post here as it has been such a shocking season for X-country. LM Team has been out all night and all morning, grooming packing down and generally trying to get things in best shape possible for the weekend whilst trying to preserve as mauch a possible. Early grooming difficult as ground very wet so have to be careful about losing the precious white stuff. Overnight team did good job to get packed base but pushed it down about 5cm. Early team have improved it again and with more snow falling on upper trails all night we have more again.. The snow levels are moving all the time. New posting to web site at 9am but with more grooming still going on ther will be a new post again at midday as the staff get out over the trails and measure. Bottom line is that this will be best weekend to hit the trails all year. Get your skis on early as it will be a big weekend and you do not want to be locked out or catching bus from Arnolds.

9. teckel

Thanks for that info, Laker. I've had a huge number of phone calls today from people planning to visit Lake Mountain on the weekend, and a large number of customers today. People have been watching the snow cams intently for the last few weeks, and now that they see what they're after, they will be here in droves on the weekend. My estimate is lockout at about 10am.

10. Re: Weekend 11-12 July

Posted this one the snow report comments: Went up to Lake Mountain today (11/8) today. Started seeing patches ofsnow just before the ticket booth. Chains were not required. Consistentcover along Echo Flat Trail through to Helicopter flat. IMO Very skiable. There are some bare patches on the Taggerty Return trail down towards the village which I imagine have become a bit bigger today. TIP FOR PUNTERS: Leave Melbourne by about 7.00 am and you should get a reasonable park (Left at 6:55 am) and got a park in the very top car park around 900 am. Went Snowshoeing for a few hours and left at Midday. CROWDS galore... I estimate nearly a kilometre of cars parked along the road with more heading up at that time as we were
    heading down. Had a great day! Make sure everyone stops in Marysville or Narbethong for coffees/food etc and support the locals!

11. teckel

Thanks Possum. As I understand it, the snow is not standing up due to too much water under the snow. Let's hope that snow this coming Thursday and Friday helps save it.

12. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Avoided the w/e crowds and went up today (Mon. 13/8). Blue sky. Short walk to skiable snow, 2-300 m. depending on where you wanted to start dodging mud/grass. VG conditions around Woollybut and Panorama in the morning but soft and melting off on Echo Flat in the afternoon. Jubilee was still holding up but my legs weren't so I backed off and returned to main trail for some easier skiing in the arvo. Trail was noticeably deteriorating and I hope it does not get rained on because it will be over. Thin cover. Friday might bring the top up. Bring it on, for a longer season. Up to fc next week.

13. Equus

Equus Addicted

Please Could You post Some Photos
    Thanks

14. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sorry, but I didn't take photos today, cam memory maxed out after Gwinear trip last week. Wife says she wants to paint snow scenes instead of coast scenes.

15. Equus

Equus Addicted

Been There re Memory Maxed... On My 1st Trip up a French Mountin as well, Was NOT a Happy Bunny!!!

Re Wife Very Nice and LUCKY Her to Have a Husband That'll Bring Her Snow Scenes to Paint....

#15 Equus, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013