Weekend of 23 August: Newbies !

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Macgyvers_Tigers, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Macgyvers_Tigers

Macgyvers_Tigers First Runs

Hi there,
    We were hoping to go to Lake Mountain tomorrow from Melbourne - this is a first for us. Taking 2 kids a 4yr old and 7yr old. Just doing a day trip, we have no snow gear, don;t know the first thing about anything snow related - boy do we need help !
    We wont be skiing - just building snowmen, maybe tobogganing - we probably have jackets we can wear, but outside of that no snow gear.

Anything you guys can help us with would be appreciated:
    Do the kids need waterproof clothing or just warm clothing
    Do we need ski boots - have heard stories of people just letting the little kids just wear gumboots
    Do we buy a day pass before we go - or at the mountain somewhere
    Do we get toboggans on the mountain or hire beforehand
    What sort of money are we up for in terms of day passes, toboggans and gear (if we have to gear up)
    Is there enough snow there given the weather we've had recently ? Does it tend to get crowded on days like tomorrow when the conditions haven't been great in the leadup - or do people stay away in drives ? (or maybe the reverse - people turn up because they think nobody will be there !!)
    So many questions - anything anyone has would be appreciated !
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

Jason, Apologies for not seeing this earlier.
    There is not much snow left, and the weather is warm. My suggestion would be waterproof only clothing. The snow will still be cold, so we recommend snow boots rather than gum boots.
    It's a lot cheaper to hire toboggans off the mountain that once you get there.
    We can kit children out with waterproof pants, boots and toboggan for $15. Adults for $18. Waterproof jackets $5 extra. Gloves $5 extra.
    We've had a busy morning this morning, with 3 coach loads through, as well as lots of families like yours. People certainly haven't stayed away today, although I suspect tomorrow may be a little quieter.
    The toboggan run consists of manmade snow only, but if you care to take a good walk, you may find natural snow in patches higher up towards the summit.

If you come by tomorrow, we're on the left side of the highway in Narbethong (10 mins the Melbourne side of Marysville) opposite the CFA. There's a public phone box outside.

3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

When I click the link in @teckel sig I get an error message.

4. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

:eek: Thanks Legs. I think it's fixed now?