1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Weekend Trip Report

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by benchives, Jul 14, 2008.

1. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

PB Saturday.

Thredbo Sunday.

The recent snowfalls whilst of a nice consistency had no base to grown on. I spent all day Saturday on Mount P (and I was one of the first ones there). Unfortunately, and take this as advice, stiff race skis should not be used on a powder day. My bad.

The people who did have the right skis, like magfires, ah hem, were having a ball. There were some sweet lines to be had. PB is the holy grail in NSW for skiercross or freestyle, or the more advanced and progressive types of skiing. The natural hits make even the most detailed parks seem stupid. I drooled at the possibilities. I was struggling. A year between drinks, crowds, and my most hated friend, uncle chop chop snow just was throwing me around like a silly man.

Met up with the illustrious Dr Wood Duck around lunchtime. By this time Mount P looked like chopped liver. But I tells you something, that Duck has a sweet, sweet style and nothing like crowds or snow condition can stop the guy! He was kind enough to give myself and cin enough homework to get a degree in technique, and by two oclock I was entirely embarrassed. My tail firmly between my legs, we left with big plans for the forthcoming day.

Was about fourth lift up gunnbarrel at thredbo on sunday. Me and cin looped high noon four times. My skis were loving the perfectly groomed trails. Big credit to the thredders groomers, it was a neat top to bottom experience. By the end of the fourth run we decided to traverse to supertrail but by then only snowgums was running as the wind had put kosci express on hold. We were looping snowgums top to bunny walk load, with an occaisional all the way down run for coffee and those darn sausages. Amazingly, about eleven in the morning and I was still making the first tracks across some groomed trails. Admittedly the wind kept the punters away and most of the tracks covered, but I was just amazed how at times me and cin felt like we had the whole of supertrail to ourselves.

Unfortunately too many sausages sent this silly sausuage sick. Tummy rumbles from hell and stuff that should never get mentioned in a place like this. So our planned day racing with the duck was cancelled today. I went up to PB just to say bye to Dr Duck, and it was snowing very nicely, and just as i left, the sun came out. Oh dear. But we will be back.

Passiginating in the drive back home gave me time to reflect, as it does. Australian snow is as good as anywhere in the world. You can have your stinky Nisekos and Chamonix and Whistlers, I just love the Snowy Mountains.

I left Sydney on Friday with sixteen dollars to my name. I came back today with seventy dollars and a five hundred dollar debt.

Priceless.

Priceless.

2. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks to the report, I'm amped, I hear you loud and clear.... I love the Snowy Mountains too!! And I'll be there at the end of next week [​IMG] [​IMG]

#2 sastrugi, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

Go pigface - see I told you ducky was more yellow floatey type than attack duck... [​IMG]

Glad you had a good time - I'm stuck here in Coffs Harbour - oh well I'm working on another 3 months in Colorado

#3 Little Tiger, Jul 14, 2008
  4. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

Super report. Your enthusiasm shows through [​IMG]

#4 Snow Addict, Jul 14, 2008
  5. NoOne

NoOne First Runs

good stuff pigface!

[​IMG]

#5 NoOne, Jul 14, 2008
  6. benchives

thanks dudes and dudettes.

7. Silence

Silence One of Us

Stoked on the report. Thanks

8. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Was in PB on Saturday myself and cannot agree more with you! [​IMG]Were amongst first on Mt.Perisher(why do they wait until 0900 to open the quad chair???)and found lots and lots of trails with freshies and little cliffs and noone else threading it yet!However it was wind-blown at the top with grass and rocks poking out!Absolutely agree,at 11am it was all "chopped liver" [​IMG] and with +5 in the villige at 1400 and huge crowds we gave up...Looking forward this weekend again,Guthega will come handy if the "blizzard conditions"will happen.Nothing like skiing in the storm,cant see anything and anyone,just you and the nature... [​IMG]

#8 sara777, Jul 14, 2008
  9. sastrugi

I hear you sista [​IMG]

I'm a big blizzard skiier myself, I've even been known to leave hubby at home and attack the top of the mountain (Thredbo) on my own for hours on end with just ski patrol and the lifts manager to keep me company! Pete and I call them "singing days" cos you can sing at the top of your voice and no-one but the wind can hear you, and the skiing is the best it can be and it's all yours (hi Pete [​IMG] )

I admit it would be more difficult on a mountain I didn't know, but I love hitting blizzards at Thredbo [​IMG]

#9 sastrugi, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  10. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Pictures?

11. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

that Duck knows hes stuff .
    a master i believe.
    Great report Pigface and love the financial summary at the end .
    [​IMG]

#11 skimax, Jul 15, 2008
  12. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

One day I would like to ski O/S, but after over 30 years of skiing, my love affair with the Australian Alps shows no sign of slowing. To those who bag it I say MOVE, who needs you. I have no problem with appreciating whats on offer O/S, but Im with pigface, I love my Snowys!

#12 telecrag, Jul 15, 2008
  13. sastrugi

VSG, here's a pic of me in the last blizzard I went for a rip in [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#13 sastrugi, Jul 15, 2008
  14. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Its all good. Pigface and Cin are great guys and strong skiers but even I don't take race slalom skis up Mt P on a chop chop day.

The skiing is good and the sun has been out and the crowds no problems. The only downer has been that Junior Duck has been in bed sick for 5 days. He is on the mend though.

Blardy hell my legs are sore.

15. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

#15 Ian D, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  16. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

great report Piggy, I really felt I was there with you, thanks for sharing [​IMG]

#16 'H' Jones, Jul 15, 2008
  17. benchives

Sorry no pics. Too busy not trying to be a silly sausage!

I will be down again soon so I will take some pics then.

And Duckman is the nicest, kindest, most warmhearted person I have met. He is a cunny funt too.

Oh and I still have your bib Duckman. Will give it to you around August.

18. VSG

[​IMG]

#18 VSG, Jul 15, 2008
  19. VSG

one back at ya.. sastrugi dude.

August 07, skiers right of Karels, on the way to DHG... winds pushing snow and punters over the top... [​IMG]

best fun.

[​IMG]

#19 VSG, Jul 15, 2008
  20. sastrugi

That looks like a perfect ski day [​IMG]

#20 sastrugi, Jul 16, 2008
  21. Pedestrian

Pedestrian One of Us

Pigface- yep, I know what you mean about looping an empty Strail for freshies off SNowgums. Same thing last year July twenty-something, all lifts on windhold except FF and Merrits chair (for terrain park thing up there). They opened snowgums at about 2pm, by that time everyone had rugged up inside but it started snowing moderately, probably had about 10-15cm that day by 5pm. Wasn't deep but just made bushranger/worldcup/supertrail so pleasant.

Sastrugi- nothing better than skiing a mountain you know well in a blizzard when everyones inside. Don't know thredbo well enough unfortunately, had a week there last year and will be down again from Sunday-Friday coming so hoping I'll be able to find my way around by braille on Sunday!! But yeah, Pretty much only skiied Hotham 2001-2005 and the best days are when its empty, you get in the trees and the lifty at the bottom is stoked to see someone out!!