Weirdest/Funniest Thing You Have Seen While Skiing?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by powderhound123, Oct 29, 2017.

1. powderhound123

powderhound123 Just Registered

Whats the weirdest or funniest thing you have ever seen happen while on the mountain? For me it would have to be at Falls a beginner (i assume) got on the summit chair, got to the top and was too scared to get off and just went round and round on the chair until a ski patroller had to get on the chair with her to convince her to get off.

2. SuskiQ

SuskiQ Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Took 4 guys to carry this thing past the ski patrol building st Mt Baw Baw. No it never went up the hill. They were able to take it home at the end of the day.

powderhound123 likes this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe not the weirdest, but really tickled my fancy
    A beginner alpine skier was struggling down wombats ramble with no idea. Belinda Phillips, ex Australian National XC Team member, in her Aus team kit (and on XC skis) stopped to give her some tips

At SIC at Hotham on Keogh's Bash, +1 and @sastrugi (I think it was sastrugi, but certainly another ski.com-er) were in each other's blind spots and collided as they skied from opposite sides of the run. They tumbled, limbs and skis entwined for what seemed like half the run. People rushed to help with the carnage but they both stood up, dusted themselves off and laughed. No damage at all.

sastrugi likes this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Last year my FIL was struggling to put chains on going up Buller and he told me about the lovely guy 'Lawrence' who helped him out. I asked a couple of questions and figured out it was Lorenz Grollo.

5. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Opening weekend Mt Hotham 80s. Me and a mate were on the jugs at the pub. Decided to go the Arlberg. After midnight. walking along we discovered a big dude face down in a patch of snow. pants down around his ankles Must have been taking a leak when inertia overtook him.Looked hilarious but we realised the poor letch was looking at hypothermia. He was really plastered and getting him up was a real feat. Blob of jelly. Only thing we could do was grab 1 arm each and drag him to the Arlberg. A few faces watching in disbelief.

6. Slalom

Slalom Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Probably a regular occurrence but still remember a dude in his 60's with the best "raccoon face" standing out front of the Eiger at Perisher a few years back. It was the most brutal goggle tan I've ever seen.

7. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

About 10 years ago at Falls, a group of Buddhist monks in the full robes but on skis sliding around near where the old Village T bar used to be

Claude Cat and FatBoyDave like this.
  8. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Backward skier dude at Rusutsu

Chaeron likes this.
  9. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Reverse pole plant, observed from a chair in Canada.

Texas pole plant, perhaps?

Dude was planting to the right to push off and jump his tips to the left, and vice versa. Not a one-off either, I watched him keep doing it until my eyes teared up from laughing.

10. Zeroz

Zeroz Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

For whatever reason, there’s one event that is strongly imprinted in my memory.
    Decades ago. 1980’s. Cresta, Mt Buffalo. It's where my parents took us to learn to ski. Basic but it did the job.

The thing about Mt Buffalo, as we learnt in high school, is that it’s full of ‘tors’. A fancy geology word for big f-ing boulders.
    Eons ago they broke off the mountain. Cresta has a few of these tors just sitting in the middle of some of its runs.

As usual, there are lots of beginners at Cresta. This time it was a big school group and they’re dickwit teenagers on skis.

I'm on a poma next to the run and I see one lad blasting downhill completely out of control. Headed straight for a tor.
    The tor is about 4m tall x 4m wide. Flat on top. Tors are made of granite. I'm spellbound as I watch the imminent crash.

His arms are outstretched, open jacket billowing, skis straightish but wobbly, he isn’t turning and is increasing speed.
    He heads straight into the rock. At the last minute he leans way, way, back, recoiling from the expected impact.

Now there’s about 1m of snow around the base of the boulder. So as he meets the rock he hits that snow leaning way back, and he shoots up vertically.

He’s carrying enough speed that he goes up the side of the rock. But he’s carrying exactly enough speed that his momentum stops at the top of the boulder, which has about 30cm of snow cover on top. He stops perfectly upright.

So instead of smashing into the rock and dying (no helmets back then) his fortuitous ski technique now has him standing alone, on snow, except on top of a 4m boulder. I expect him to drop to his knees and cry in relief after cheating death.

Instead he looks around, realises what’s just happened, and yells out triumphantly with his arms wide:

“Hey guys!! Check me out!!!” His mates look on in wonder how the f*** this legendary skier got up there.
    I can only wonder how he’s not dead.

11. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Back then we used to call it Mount Goof.

12. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

A year or decades ago, I enjoyed a very social and wet evening up at the Sundeck in Perisher before making my way down Front Valley to the lodge. Beautiful crisp clear evening with stars just magnificent I just had to sit to enjoy the spectacle and tranquility.as only someone pissed can do.
    But with a roaring hissing vengeance my tranquility turned to sh*t as I was all but disemboweled by the firing up of one of the original snow makers I had rested my now frozen bum on.

13. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Oh the serenity @hipo

hipo likes this.
  14. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Single ski with boot in the binding flying down the piste all by itself in Hirafu.

I can only imagine the owner of said ski/boot getting off the lift in his/her sock....

Chaeron, MarkGC and alexd like this.
  15. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

a- bit chilly?

16. Whatever really

Whatever really New Member

The old Pup to Pub as a kid at Smiggins, I watched a bunch of drunk guys dressed as Indians carry a Canadian canoe up the mountain and slide down it straight into one of the race huts.
    As a Queenslander it cemented my love of the snow, these were such great events when Wide world of sports would cover it.
    I now live in Melbourne and have not been back to Perisher in years.

17. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

That's what I was going to say! Except it was High Noon at Thredbo...ski with an empty boot still in it, flying dead straight down the fall line like a missile...how often does this happen? How does this happen?

18. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

I've seen a ski flying down with the bottom half of a ski boot still in the binding, plastic deteriorates over time and old boots shatter.

Chaeron, alexd and sbm like this.
  19. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

As an ex liftie I can't understand how they were allowed to go around the Bull Wheel

Charlie likes this.
  20. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Seen Sandy in his suits on the slopes.
    Also seen a dude playing bagpipes skiing down a tiny strip of snow on Baldy/Buller in the 90s where there was absolutely no snow.

Chaeron, alexd and Claude Cat like this.
  21. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

As someone who struggles to get her foot in and out of her ski boot I just don't get it! But I'm assured it's someone who undid ski boots for the lift ride and they just fell off. Wouldn't happen with my boots, but there you go.

22. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Season Pass Gold

I can't understand how there wasn't a trip switch!

SkiMountaineer likes this.
  23. TomGroggon

TomGroggon Active Member

Not on the mountain but watching guy put chains on in Nuggets carpark on a sunny day

Chaeron likes this.
  24. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe he was a newbie to chains like myself and just doing a dry run to make sure he knows what he's doing. I did the same thing last year. Thankfully by the time I got to Wilson's Valley the restriction had been lifted.

climberman likes this.
  25. Normo

Normo Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Easily the funniest thing I've seen was at the loading point of the Mt P double chair.
    It was a few years ago when it was running at a higher speed than it does now. It was when the lifties really had to "bump" the chairs, holding each one back to give the riders time to park their bums on it.
    Anyway, the two snowboarders ahead of me were deep in conversation about the gnarly shit they'd been doing that day. They casually moved down to the upload position and just stood there chatting.
    The chair comes around.....the lifty holds it back and then lets it go.....the two guys remain standing in an upright position........the chair smashes into them and sends them sprawling on the ground, their gear going everywhere.
    Emergency stop.....lifties running over to them to see if their dead or alive, picking up their gloves and beanies and stuff.........Lifty asks "Why didn't you sit down when the chair arrived???"

Splattered snowboarder replies.............

"We thought it was a T-Bar!"

SkiMountaineer, hipo, MarkGC and 6 others like this.
  26. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

ROFL

Chaeron likes this.
  27. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

I've seen a few funny things but this one just keeps popping into my head.

80's or early 90's on the old Perisher chair where the V8 runs now. Travelling up behind two young, newish skiers about mid teens. They're having a great time coming up to mid station chatting away across mid station they then look up and see the top of the chair and realise it's too much for them so decide to get off at mid station. Only problem is, they've now left their dismount too late. For those that remember, mid station had a ski off down a ramp. Now these two are about 8-10feet in the air when they decide that jumping is less terrifying than skiing from the top, so jump they did, ending in a pile of mangled bodies, skis & stocks.

They were young and flexible so not too much damage I don't believe. I don't know what was funnier though, seeing both their heads look up and then collectively alight or seeing the look on the lifty's face at the carnage, as I sailed by.

Chaeron, alexd and Normo like this.
  28. TomGroggon

TomGroggon Active Member

Hey left the carpark with them still on.

29. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Oh man that reminds me. Saw a very determined snowboarder this year attempting to ride a t-bar, they crashed after a few meters, as they do, but utterly refused to let go and got dragged at least 30m up the first little hill, then in a feat of strength somehow hauled themselves back upright, and managed to ride up the rest of the way holding the T with their arms!

Chaeron and alexd like this.
  30. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

And that reminds me of an even better T bar story.

Coming up the T-bar from the Burning Log at Guthega. Riding with a snowboarder mate. We notice a chocolate bar wrapper on the snow next to the track. Wait, is it.....no seriously.....yes, that's an unopened chocolate bar someone has dropped!

My mate is all over this. "SCORE! I'm gunna lean over and grab it!"

Knowing his, shall we say, "progressing" T-bar riding skills, and the long queue we just waited in a the bottom, I say "Oh no you don't, you better not fall off now I am NOT waiting for you"

He leans right over, snatches the chocolate bar, and in a wild effort to get balanced again, wrenches the T, pulls himself upright...and shoves me off!

I watch him sail off uphill and I am seriously pissed. In anger I take off my skis and start charging up by foot. I get to the top, and he's waiting there eating that $%$@@!&$ chocolate bar.

31. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In 2012 i saw a man in his late 60's learning to ski in a private lesson at Smiggins.
    Luckily it was a warmish late winter day because he was wearing denim jeans instead of snow pants.

back in 2000 my daughter and her friend were loading on the Blaxland T barat Perisher, the lifty grabs the T, sets it behind their butts and .... nothing happens. Next thing the lifty stands up and chucks the T on the ground behind him - the line had come out of the T just as it tensioned up - lucky it happened there and not halfway up.

32. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The funniest question someone asked me..
    Spring 1999 2 blokes ski up to me while I am strapping in at the top of Front Valley and ask "are those green things for slalom?" pointing to the domes over the snowmaking connectors

33. sastrugi

sastrugi Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I don't recall this incident but that's not saying it wasn't me! ;)

34. Normo

Normo Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Funniest question ever?
    Probably.....

"Can you ride the T-bars down the mountain?"

She wasn't blonde..........:)

Chaeron and Kletterer like this.
  35. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Early 80s Lifty at the old Falls Creek Saddle link lift had fallen asleep one day . We placed a metal shovel over his face and hog tied the laces on his Sorrells , then moved on.

Froff Life, DPS Driver, alexd and 3 others like this.
  36. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Funniest thing I ever saw. Yes I’m a cynic

At the top of Friday Flat a beginner mum and beginner daughter. Probably aged around mid teens. Nothing I’d seen so far to suggest she was handicapped in any way

The daughter took off at a very slow pace but with no control and sobbed and moaned for her mummy until she gently crashed about 20m away and then burst out crying mummy mummy mummy.

Mum to the rescue, she shouted out oh my baby I love you. Hold on I’m coming, and then skied off in compeltely the wrong direction and crashed (slowly) into a tree LOL

#36 gareth_oau, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  37. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Dedicated Member

Was that Thredbo, on the Basin?

38. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room

At Rusutsu last Feb, I saw ~50yo Japanese guy with a cowboy hat, and his binding mounted backwards on his 80s vintage skis.... but he was skiing the ENTIRE course backwards!!

39. 2ESki

2ESki New Member

Skiing in southern Germany in the late 80's ? my brother and I were going up a 2 seater chair and there was a T bar about 150m away with a loud American tourist and his son,about 5yo? [ had heard his LOUD BOOMING voice all morning ] they were on the T bar, he was about 6.3 and a big bloke so you imagine the T was down around his ankles, it was steep,his son had troubles and the father fell off side on to the slope, as he slid down the hill he took out about 8 pairs of people off the stopped T bar, trouble is because he was so tall no one could get out of the way and every time he "skittled" a pair the whole mountain shouted " OLE " [as in bullfighting] I haven't laughed or shouted ole so hard in my life :D :D :D , funny enough his son stayed on with his dad shouting that he'd meet him at the top :thumbs:

whether, Chaeron, Normo and 1 other person like this.
  40. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Last January in Nozawa. I think we were on the Uenotaira chair in the Paradise area when we glanced down to see a rather well-dressed Japanese lady skiing slowly down the slope with a hapless Chihuahua reluctantly following her on a lead. To this day my youngest son still says, “Mum, remember that poor dog skiing in Nozawa ...”.

chicski, whether, Kletterer and 2 others like this.
  41. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

I just remembered a cracker. On Karel's T Bar was David Oldfield, Pauline Hanson's old mate and his "demure" wife. We were on the T behind and they hit a bump and David almost fell off, taking Mrs O with him. Well the tirade of F bombs, insults and put downs that came out of her mouth directed at poor old David would have made a Truckie blush. It was so loud that she probably could be heard at Friday Flat.

We saw him that night in the bar alone and couldn't help but remind him of the incident. He shrugged and said "what do ya do", we laughed and bought him a drink. Poor bugger, I don't know how he does it.

42. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Heard someone moaning in the trees out wide in Annupuri gate 8.
    Turned out to be someone had his missus up against a tree having the time of their lives

43. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

44. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Quite common in Austria.

45. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

When my youngest was about 5 he had boots that were like rear entry boots. He would not do them up properly. Had an incident one day where he crashed and instead of the ski releasing, the boot came off. So I can I can imagine beginners having this happen to them. The thing that got me was that this kid was skiing all over the mountain including some black runs with his boots undone.

46. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

The guy is a saint or a glutton for punishment. That woman is toxic!

47. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

mmm over the years there have been lots of weird and funny incidents so really hard to pick just one.

Probably the first really funny thing I saw was at Mt Hutt. Japanese guy catching a poma. For some reason the cable did not unwind properly. So he was lifted of the ground and spent most of the ride sitting on the disk and spinning in the air. He seemed to have no idea that this was not normal. We did not see the outcome as the top of the lift was out of sight. But it could only have ended badly.

whether, Dave allen and Chaeron like this.
  48. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I have a lot of funny things I could relate. But this year's best was the guy I hired some (XC) skis to. He was a beginner. Well, he phoned at about 6:15 pm to say he was going to be late to return. (I close at 6:30). He arrived at 6:45 saying that he didn't realise how far it was! (Umm, about 35 mins from the shop to the LM car park). He told me I'd hired him 'professional skis'. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he was on about, until he mentioned that he'd been at Buller. Apparently an instructor (who obviously knew zilch about XC skiing) figured they were telemark skis.

Chaeron likes this.
  49. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

48 posts... No mention of Astro.......
    Dem times

50. Hermannator

Hermannator Active Member

Snowboarder giving up after failed attempts at the nutcracker and rope-tow.

Resorted to lying on the ground and allowing himself to be dragged up. Rope de-railed from most of the pulleys.