1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

~@~Welcome to all the new Tasmanian Members~@~

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by Ben Lomond Brad, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture Moderator

Welcome to all the new members of the Tasmanian ski.com.au moosh community. This year there it has been fantastic to see so many new members, as it keeps the enthusiasm for Ben Lomnd and Mt Mawson alive (for a long time there was just the Iceman and myself bantering [​IMG] ).

So, introduce yourself, tell us a little about yourself and why you love the Ben and Mawson so much. Even the 'oldies' around here could tell us a thing or two about themselves [​IMG]

#1 Ben Lomond Brad, Aug 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Ben Lomond Brad

Re: ~@~Welcome to all the new Tasmanian 'mooshers'~@~

Ok, I'll go first.

Started skiing on Ben in 1991 and caught the bug. Skied Buller and Falls the next two years as well as on Ben. Started boarding in 93 and have continued to both since then.

Worked in the Creek Inn on weekends during the seasons of 97 and 98 and have been a mountain "local" ever since. Recently 'officially' became a member of Tas Rover Ski Club last year, but have been hanging out over there for 'a while'.

Have skied/boarded Ben, Buller, Falls and Hotham and think I need to go to Japan soon.

Cheers
    BLB

3. Jonwah

Jonwah Hard Yards

haha i better write something to keep you company brad..

started skiing on the ben in 1990 age 4 or so, skiied till age 11 when poor seasons/certain poncy ntac committee members made leaving the mountain not a hard thing..

went skiing in 02 and remembered how much fun the mountain was again, started boarding in 03 and haven't looked back.. keen to get up for the bender next year and meet some more peeps..

have skiied ben, falls, buffalo, boarded only at ben... japan sounds like the way to go, they have buttloads of pow over there!! thinking about a move to canada/nz depending on visa entry requirements [​IMG]

jono (aka jonwah)

#3 Jonwah, Aug 20, 2007
  4. SnowManDan

SnowManDan First Runs

Whats a moosher?!?

5. CaptainPowder

CaptainPowder Hard Yards

ok heres my 2cents worth...
    started skiing ben in 1988, had been up before but really started skiing there then, travelled all over trhe place chasing the snow. Have skiied loads of places here and overseas.
    ok here comes the gloating list:
    Ben, Mt field, Cradle mountain, buller, hotham, falls creek, Perisher (jusr got home on friday lol), Thredbo,Mt Hutt, Broken River, Craigieburn, Porter Heights, heli skiing with methven heli, Val Desire and Chamonix, Alberg, Whistler, Banff (Sunshine, lake louise).
    hopefully heading to Japan and chille next year.
    Have worked in the creek inn couple of years ago and i think i still have the record for most jagers poured in one shout (27) correct me if im wrong.
    hey Jono, have limited numbers for Canada Visa so get in early and you have to be under 30 years of age (there are truckloads of countries that you can apply for visas for but all have to be when your under 30) [​IMG]

I still love skiing at Ben, have had loads of fun over the years and love the people i have met up there. I hope teh Ben can move forward, and finally get some assitance from the state government, maybe if we decided to put a pulp mill on the hill we would get some help lol.

peace

#5 CaptainPowder, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Ben Lomond Brad

the previous version of the forums was called moosh.
    Perhaps I need to change the title [​IMG]

#6 Ben Lomond Brad, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. benny b boy

benny b boy First Runs

righty o, i'm gunna look like a spring chicken!!

i've been up at ben for a few years now, prolly 3 and usually get 4 days in each year, mainly cause i'm from hobart so can get up every weekend. recently went to perisher for a day, but i'd prefer to ski ben for 2 days at the same price!!

i wanna join a club one day with my wife, but gotta save up the money first :)

if i ever get sacked just before winter, i'll be sure to try and get work up there!!!

8. SnowManDan

SnowManDan First Runs

I'm also going to look like a spring chicken compared to you others and the places you have been.

Dad first took me skiing up on Ben, must of been about '94 when I would have been early on in the double figures. Remember picking it up pretty easy (used to rollerblade, yes, rollerblade - so perhaps that helped), and loved it straight away.

Then didn't ski again for quite a number of years until about 4 years ago. Had only skiid on Ben until I went to New Zealand, South Island, last year to ski on the mountains there.

Thought about learning to board, but when I get up there I always think I can't be bothered hiring and taking the time to learn so just put the skis on again!

Love having Ben so close to home, hope it can move forward even more. Managed to get up there 5 times this year so far.

9. BenLomondBezzer

BenLomondBezzer Hard Yards

Maybe an intermediate, started on Ben with my dad wien i was about 3 i think (1990)... Oh all those good times in dads back pack. Then started on a pair of plastic skis i think again between dads legs.

Joined Bellendina Lodge in early 90's and skiied through to 1998 solidly on ben going up between 5 and 12 weekends depending on the season. Had many great times up there. havent skied much since we dropped the lodge membership a bit after 1998 when the seasons were really bad and it didnt seem worth it.

skied at Buller for three weeks, one in 97' another in 2004 and 5.

Keen to get back into a lodge soon. wanna get more involved on the mountain. rather than the once or twice a year.

Bez.

10. SirWinston

SirWinston Hard Yards

If you guys are spring chickens, I must still be an egg! :)

I started skiing the last day of season '04. I skiied every weekend of the crappy, short '05 season, which taught me to avoid rocks! :) '06 was a joke, no real snow and new boots killing me. This year has been much better. I've been up for three weekends so far, and will be there most weekends for the rest of the season.

I found skiing to be very easy. Like Dan, I used to do a lot of in-line skating, and there are a lot of similarities between the two sports.

My wife is an associate member of Borrowdale (<25YO child of a member), but we won't be sinking our money into that hut as there are too many "hut nazis" (read: stupid members with no rationality and extreme selfishness). I can see us buying into Rovers when we finish our PhDs (in about nine years time).

If the BLC wants to raise some money, they should do a deal with the police and arrange to have a speed camera half way up the mountain, with half of the "proceeds" going to the BLC! :)

11. benny b boy

benny b boy First Runs

heheee, once my mate got done speeding in there!! and i think at that time there were no speed signs either, now there is 1 50k sign, bah

it's good to find out who everyone is, but still you see regulars on the mtn and cant put a face to the forums

12. Ben Lomond Brad

If you are feeling very brave, post a pic of yourself [​IMG] but host them somewhere else rather than ski.com.au photos, unless of course it is a pic of you in the snow [​IMG]

#12 Ben Lomond Brad, Aug 20, 2007
  13. benny b boy

benny b boy First Runs

k then, i'll start the ball roling! off the old camera phone on sat. i look like a gold fish

[​IMG]

#13 benny b boy, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  14. billy boy

billy boy First Runs

Re: ~@~Welcome to all the new Tasmanian 'mooshers'

Im fairly new to this site, but been on the mountain for quite a few years. skied up there for about 12 years before i got bored of that and decided to take up boarding which ive been doing for 5 years now.

tried out hotham last year which was a big waste of time but i also continued on to mt kosiosko? for a XC trip which even on a bad season still had heaps. planning on heading to hotham in a couple of weeks.

mostly stay in toorbunna, which i love because its 10 m from car park. try to get up 4 time a season but living in hobart and work commitment always screws plans up.

had my first derailment a couple of weeks ago which goes to show even the experience guys can stuff it up. (sorry to any one riding giblin at the time).

good to be hearing everyones history with the mountain keep em coming

15. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

I feel like a geriatric (mid life crisis) compared to the young guns that post on here. Anyway, I started skiing in 1983 and have extensively skiied at Ben and Mawson at their very best (and worst). Have also been to Falls Creek, Buller,Hotham,Thredbo,Perisher,Mt Hutt,Coronet Peak,Cardrona and The Remarkables. I also like XC, and have been to Cradle,Ben,Field,Wellington,Snowy Range,Hartz,Mt Anne,Rufus.

These days with young children I don't get out much (atm), but the itchy feet are hereditary, so I think they'll follow in my footsteps. I never got the hang of snow boarding, so its two planks for me for good now.

16. Jonwah

Jonwah Hard Yards

thanks captain powder, i'm looking to go about november next year but i have to check my record with the tas police, there is a few naughty adventures that might prevent me from getting a working visa :S

this is me and a few mates a couple of years ago in a slow season when we felt like a drive.. im the one in the blue hoody, maxcimus is behind me looking for abominable snowmen..
    [​IMG]

#16 Jonwah, Aug 20, 2007
  17. lucepip

lucepip First Runs

I'd have to say that the thing i love best about Tas skiing is the fact that there are threads like this!!!

Lets see... I started skiing around '82, about the same time I learnt to walk (my dad was a xc ski racer/ enthusiast + would hold us under our arms and ski with us between his legs.) I live and breath snow. I even look up this website in the summer! is that sad or just keen?

Skiied mostly Perisher growing up cause I lived in Sydney, with a couple of visits to Thredbo and Charlottes Pass. In recent years I've skiied Buller, Les Diablerets and San Moritz and saving like mad in order to go to Val D'sair (or however you spell it) this xmas. On moving to Tassie 4 years ago I have now been lucky enough to have had the Ben and Mawson experience. (I have to stress that Mt Field is THE most beautiful place I have ever been to. Who cares that it doesnt have heated quad chairs?!!) Oh, and I've kinda skiied Mt Wellington (the fire trail). (the image on the left is my dog Pip playing up on the Mtn)

Oh, and since I was a little tyke, my dream has been to work a season in the snow (growing up skiing in Perisher, that is where the dream was located). I havent had the freedom yet to take that time out from the other side of my life, but hopefully before Im 30....

18. Tassie Tiger

Tassie Tiger Hard Yards

Move over boys - It's the girls turn......
    Started skiing 1987 when the family moved to Tassie from Phillip Island Vic (from surf to snow). I will never be a great skier like those of you who started out as kids (like my 6 & 8 yo boys will probably be) but I love the snow and BenLomond.
    Have skied most of the Vic Mountains and the 4 main ones around Queenstown NZ, loved Cardrona, hated Trebble Cone.
    A founding member of Rovers Ski Club, I look forward to many more seasons on the Ben, watching all of the kids learn to ski and develop a life long relationship with the snow.

19. tassie_simon

tassie_simon Hard Yards

A Hobart boy, I only started at the snow in 2004 (apart from a few trips to mt field with a sled!) when i did a season working in Jindabyne, and they gave me a season pass to perisher, started snowboarding, then gave skiing a go. love both of them now, and still do both. so i have only slid at perisher, thredbo, ben and mawson, with incredible back country trips out the back of perisher to kosi, and more recently up to rufus. with a working holiday planned for 2009 in canada when i finish my degree! bring it on

20. Pavalicious

Pavalicious First Runs

Greetings all.
    I have been lucky enough to have been traveling to Hotham, Falls, Perisher and Thredbo almost yearly as a kid with the fam. Been to boarding in Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Sweden. But of course, none of these places have anything on Big Ben and Mawson. Been going to Ben with me dad's school trips when I was younger, ah what fond memories I have of those trips. Hadn't been to Mawson until last weekend where a mate and I found a concrete cylinder and made a gnarly jib out of it. And that's about it from me. From Hobart too.

21. Baldy

Baldy First Runs

First Name is Jason , Baldy has been my nickname since school and no its not because I dont have hair [​IMG] , Will post a pic when I get home. Live in Launceston age 32.

First Time I tried boarding was in 03 up the ben , had a bout 3 trips up that year and didnt really get up the lifts once so I gave up and went to Hotham in 04 with 2 of my mates , was a wicked roady to my mates subaru on the boat and 6 hours later we was there, Stayed for 4 nights and I think I spent more time drinking that snowboarding, the snow was great.

Since that trip only managed once in 05 up the ben and didnt wander up in 06 , still class myself as a beginner as cant combine turns without going over but its all fun I just want to master the tows.

Oh yeah done the 03 bender to but there was no snow so about 4 of us walked up summit with a 6 pack of VB's

#21 Baldy, Aug 21, 2007
  22. tasskibum

tasskibum First Runs

My turn, started skiing on mt wellington when i was about 3yo 1983, been skiing ben lomond pretty much every year since on occasion, also skied Mt Anne, Cradle Mountain. skied in Germany, Austria, NZ extensively, Kickinghorse, Fernie.
    Worked as a ski instructor in 2005 for Adam. skied one day on ben lomond this year then moved up north to townsville.

As my skiing life goes on im getting more and more into the backcountry and the freedom of skiing sweet untouched lines. happy skiing everyone, thinking of the snow while sitting here in 29 degree heat.

23. Ra_

Ra_ First Runs

Hi all

Matt from Hobart
    2002 Boarded Ben for a half a day, then thought bugger it, this is too hard! 5 face plants later i'd come to the conclusion that i gotta make one thats easier to control.

Made my first board later that year but had only mt wellington to take a spin on. Improved the design somewhat the year after, went to Falls to do a full test and purge my obsession.

But bugger it worked.. now making my own 'creations' and trying to take it riding... Duh'I mean testing :)... everywhere (when cash scraping level finally hits jackpot that is)
    NZ, Can, Utah ... and hopefully Japan is on the horizon so I can 'test' for flight in the light stuff which is what it looks like its meant to do [​IMG] - in between giving them a run in the park.

old boards examples - http://www.grafsnowboards.com/yours/index.php?spgmGal=Matt%20Polaris%20(Ra)

latest boards - 156 and a little stunt board (edit: when I find them damn pictures)

So if you see a funny lookin board up the ben, stop me and ask for a go... I'd happily welcome some more Guinea pig pilots.

#23 Ra_, Aug 24, 2007
  24. SnowManDan

SnowManDan First Runs

Thats a pretty awesome job you did Matt!
    Must have taken a lot of patience.

25. TeleTinbum

TeleTinbum First Runs

better aussie it up a bit i guess
    G'day,
    Nick from the south of the state. Been being pushed onto the snow in tassie since i was a wee tacker (era 1983), but mostly on the old skool xc touring sticks. Got a bit older and found the need to be able to enjoy the downs a little more, so took the natural steps onto the telemarks, havent looked back since. Spend most of the time earning my turns, but have been known to enjoy sticking a poma between my legs up at the ben, making the most of the hospitality of rumdoodle.

Always looking for a new line and exploring the mountains of tassie, love this place.

Been lucky to spend plenty of time exploring south island NZ and just spent last season living in Niseko japan

look forward to bumping into some of you on the hills
    thats me!
    [​IMG]
    http://www.pbase.com/tasmart

#25 TeleTinbum, Aug 25, 2007
  26. SNOWBOB

SNOWBOB First Runs

#26 SNOWBOB, Sep 2, 2007
  27. BenLomond Iceman

BenLomond Iceman One of Us

27 Jagies is a lot for sure! Snowbob but im sure that would have been broken many times in the late 80s & 90s when the original Creek inn partners were in full flight! Good times!

28. gnome stealer

gnome stealer First Runs

hey does qny1 no if the races wil b on 2m?
    and does any1 no were the gnome is i no dat the kks had it!!

29. gnome stealer

gnome stealer First Runs

hey does qny1 no if the races wil b on 2m?
    and does any1 no were the gnome is i no dat the kks had it!!

p.s i want to have the gnome this weekend(if i go up!!)

30. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Wow, a 6 pack, and only 4 of you......
    You crazy guys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#30 Charlie, Sep 7, 2007
  31. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

[​IMG]
    23 jagies, first of five shouts

#31 Bulldozer, Sep 27, 2007
  32. The boy from Tas

The boy from Tas Hard Yards

how did i miss this thread?

If it wasnt for CP i wouldnt of even checked the forums... [​IMG] .

Well anyway, im Dylan and am 15 nearly 16. Have skied since i was 9. first ever ski was on the ben and since then i havent stopped. Skied Hotham, Falls, Ben, Cardrona, Treble cone, Remarks, Heli skied in nz, And best of all went to Japan. Was damn intense in Jap!!!!

Well as im fifteen i havent poured too many Jagers yet [​IMG] . .

Have a good summer and I hope to see some people up the mountain in Feb!! [​IMG]

#32 The boy from Tas, Dec 17, 2007
  33. pavlova

pavlova First Runs

Hi All.
    About 2yrs in Tassie, only skiied the Ben once and loved it. Have been skiing since i was about 5, so for almost 25yrs. Despite my age I do ski twin tips and would love to see some rails on the hill.
    Have done 8 full time seasons at the remarks in qtown, and two at Mt Buller.
    Looking forward to a weekend or five this year.
    Cheers

34. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I heave heard you can't post in this thread so I am testing it

35. BenLomond Iceman

You got me excited ian, thought someone was alive on the tassie forums.. Everyone should come out of summer hibenation soon enough

36. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am actually Ian posting on behalf of almontyrat who apparently can't post here.

37. Ben Lomond Brad

Well that is a little weird, she did PM me and ask about it, so i mentioned the "hammo'ing" and said try again in a couple of days. Obvously still no luck for her [​IMG]

#37 Ben Lomond Brad, Apr 27, 2008
  38. almontyrat

I'm trying again.....

39. Ben Lomond Brad

and it is working [​IMG]

#39 Ben Lomond Brad, Apr 28, 2008
  40. CaptainPowder

CaptainPowder Hard Yards

hi

41. CaptainPowder

CaptainPowder Hard Yards

coming out of hibernation...big yawn [​IMG]

#41 CaptainPowder, Apr 29, 2008
  42. almontyrat

I'll try more than a one liner and see what happens. Very strange as I have no trouble posting to anywhere else on the forum. Perhaps it's because I don't have enough heads to work it out yet (ducks for cover)

43. BenLomond Iceman

where have you been captain , havn,t heard from you in ages.! Must be coming around to snow time again..!

44. The boy from Tas

The boy from Tas Hard Yards

hahah he went and got married [​IMG] [​IMG]

#44 The boy from Tas, May 30, 2008
  45. Frozenescort

Frozenescort Hard Yards

Hey everyone, after years of just reading the forums on here i decided it was time to join, im 25 and from Hobart's Eastern shore, strange as it may seem being from tas ive only ever really boarded at hotham and buller, booked for hotham for Aug 17th to 23rd but would love to climb the ladder and take the other half ( beginner ) up to the ben!! im keen to put my 2 cents worth in on the weather forums as well! lets hope we are in for a big 1 in '08 woohoo

46. Annago

Annago Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

I'm with you F, My first time in the Tassie zone also. Getting pumped with these fronts. This is old time stuff.

47. snow lover  (:

snow lover (: First Runs

Amy Jos 16yo almost 17 , the girl from Hobart;
    Well i think ill tell my long relationship with the mountain now.
    From a family of skiers from the Toorbunna lodge i born in 1991 i bought to working bees in the summer as i turned one i was plonked in to a baby backpack in 1992 when mothers could still wear them. By the next season i was a little tike in between my mother and fathers legs learning the basics of downhill skiing. And when i could walk i could ski with assistance of my parents.
    Ever since then i've fallen in love with skiing and its my first love. As i got older i became friends with many other keen skiiers on the mountain. In 2004 i found my skiing bud Charlie, we have had many a good times including chatting to towies and perving on the hot guys. In 2006 i was off to Perisher where i bought a board from a sales man with to stretchers in his ears and tried my hand at boarding though skiing is my first love boarding is a new love.
    That is the story of me and my first love Ben Lomond. [​IMG]

#47 snow lover (:, Jul 17, 2008
  48. Ski Ben Lomond

Ski Ben Lomond First Runs

so i finally got through, have been trying to post for ages but hasn't worked. im 17(in a few days) have been skiing since before i could walk(1991) and i love it!! ben is my second home and im there as much as possible [​IMG] got asked by a toey one year if i had a home to go to?! haha cant wait for the season to start and the fun to being! [​IMG]

#48 Ski Ben Lomond, Jul 19, 2008
  49. hobartboarder

hobartboarder First Runs

G'Day All,

Anthonys the name, im a 21 year old lad from Hobart, Started boarding on the ben back in 2003, Been loving the snow (the white we have had) every year since!! Hit up Mt. Mawson whenever the opportunity arises! Dont mind a couple @ the Creek Inn either [​IMG] . Keen this year to get up there as much as possible!! And maybe even check out Rufus or the Hartz mountains?? Hope to catch you on the Mt.

Cheers

#49 hobartboarder, Jul 21, 2008
  50. julz7250

julz7250 Hard Yards

Hi all,

Am just a newbie, having been introduced to skiiing on the Ben last year by my better half. Now am as keen as mustard and itching for some more time on the mountain. Haven't skiied anywhere else yet, tho Hotham and NZ may be possibilities in the near future. Actually got engaged on the summit of the Ben (not sure if thats a common occurence???).
    Great atmosphere and people up on the mt and can't wait to spend some more weekends up there.
    Not long now!!!