1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

~@~Welcome to all the new Tasmanian Members~@~

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by Ben Lomond Brad, Aug 18, 2007.

1. DownhillDinosaur

DownhillDinosaur First Runs

Re: ~@~Welcome to all the new Tasmanian 'mooshers'

Hi all,

My name is Marcus and I am getting back to the snow after a lot of years in WA and SA - and young kids since being back in Tas. First managed to get up 'the mountain' as I remember it being called then was in the late 70's. Only other place I have been skiing is at Mt Buffalo in Vic. I love going to 'the ben', and still get that feeling of excitement when I head out through St. Leonards. My grannies ashes are in an out of the way place on the mountain so I like going to 'see' her too.

Really looking forward to being part of it again, and hopefully catch some old friends and well as meeting some new.

2. ski mama

ski mama Hard Yards

Hi all,
    I'm one of the antiquated ones on this forum. Learned to ski on Mt Wellington at age 8 (1970,s) where we drove to where we could, walked up for half the day and then strapped on skis and skied on the side bits on the way down (now that's dedication!). Spent the next few years skiing on Mawson for a week at a time and the bug took hold. Skied on Ben in 1980's driving from Hobart for the day. Stayed at Tallaria lodge for a week with my uncle in '82 and have skied Buller during my time living on the mainland. Haven't skied now for some time and hoping that this is the year to take my girls (9 and 15) and introduce them to one of the great winter pastimes. I'll never be as good as you young ones but just love it so much. So glad to see there is still a season here and that here are so may pasionate about it! Glad that Ben is not a mainland resort as that is its charm, I'll put up with less snow and a few hassles just to be able to get there and back in a day and have less posers and (hopefully) crowds. Very thankful for the people who keep it going each year in spite of low seasons and global warming!

3. Boarder69

Boarder69 First Runs

hey all

ive been going up to bens since i was 4 did stay in creek inn now rovers. my cozin is a member there and he introduced me to boarding in 04. now i got a board of my own and i go up every year.
    going 2 check out Mawson soon and hotham next year.
    Going 2 ben August 15 who els is going then hope it keeps snowing tows are open first day this year today.

Any1 know when they r going 2 but the webcam up on rovers??

4. The MilkyBar Kid

The MilkyBar Kid First Runs

Been Reading this site for a while now so thought I should join up and put in my two cents.

Grown up on the ben as a kid with the folks in Borrowdale.. A.K.A "The Hut", So the Ben's like a second home,and although I've skiied a few resorts on the mainland and added Vail to the list last year, some of my most memorable and best days have been up the mountain. It's great how laid back it is and everyones just up there to have fun and make the most of it whilst there is a drop of snow on the ground.
    Authoritarian politics has marred the mountain in the past few years but hopefully they'll get over trying to make it a "Mainland" resort, and let it return to " The good Ol' days".
    I'd love to get some racing up and going, something I always loved as a kid.. even if just for a Mars Bar and Coke for going in the Junior Races. Maybe thats a plan for next year.. although it all comes down to snow!!
    Well I've rambled on bout who I am and what I think should happen so I'll leave it there. Hope to see you all up there ripping out your style however you do it;)
    Josh

5. B-St.G Skier

B-St.G Skier First Runs

my parents told me to remove this post.

6. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

"don't like boarding much"
    I like the sound of you. see you soon Isaac

7. The boy from Tas

The boy from Tas Hard Yards

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#57 The boy from Tas, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. boarder67

boarder67 First Runs

you guys suck boarding is sick way better than skiing

9. 7212boarder

7212boarder First Runs

Re: ~@~Welcome to all the new Tasmanian 'mooshers'~@~

Gday all
    Im Jeff and i came up to benny for the first time last year.
    i love boarding and will be doing it well into the distant future.
    i have my own board now .
    im going up there on the 15th anyone else going ?
    catch u all later
    Cheers !!

10. Boarder69

Boarder69 First Runs

good on u jeff.
    i am boarder67 aswell btw.
    any1 that comments here say if u board or ski we'll see whats more popular.

11. SnowManDan

SnowManDan First Runs

Why do you have 2 usernames?
    BTW... I Ski, only.

12. B-St.G Skier

B-St.G Skier First Runs

Im a skier! Its way better in my opinion, but i thimk skiing is more dangerous.

#62 B-St.G Skier, Aug 6, 2008
  13. ski mama

ski mama Hard Yards

I ski. Have never boarded so nothing to compare it too. Think I'd probably be too unco to do it though. Skiing will do me. My older daughter wants to board once whe has learned to ski though.

7212: I'll be there on the 16th so depends if you're staying around for a few days. Tried to wangle it to get up there on 15th but my girl's school has something on that she can't miss that day...........bugger.

14. Boarder69

Boarder69 First Runs

i have 2 accounts because i made one for my mate Jeff (7212) then he forgot the password so he made a new 1. i was on it to see if the password was right.
    BTW 16th is saturday so come up that morning, R u staying in rovers, and i san teach your daughter to Board if u dont know anything about it

15. ski mama

ski mama Hard Yards

Maybe next year. Staying in Lonny with my other half and his mum and just travelling up for the day. Want my daughter to ski first then maybe try boarding next year if keen. They're both so excited so hope they are not disappointed. Although IMO how could they not love it!! 8 more days...

16. Nomad

Nomad First Runs

B69 i've got my feet in both camps so thats not going to help your litle ratio thing much but this year I have only boarded tho because I'm trying out the most recent board I made. Seems to be holding up well. I'm going to try to make some skis for next season.

17. 7212boarder

7212boarder First Runs

I board and i feel it is alot beter
    i skied last year and thought it was very boring no offence
    [​IMG]

#67 7212boarder, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  18. gnome stealer

gnome stealer First Runs

hey
    heres my two bob worth
    well ive been skiing be for 10 years started up on ben lomond, when i was 5 on the road between a friends legs, been to canada i was there in australia day (2007), i have skied sunpeaks, silverstar, big white, and red mt,, and have skied Hotham twice loved the snow. have skied in powder at red at big white pretty good, im a member of the FSC, i go up to ben as often as i can have a season pass, dont no many people my age up there a lot either older or younger then me. talk to you all later if yr my age and go up there send me a message catch ya

19. The boy from Tas

The boy from Tas Hard Yards

your 15 then yeah?
    well im 17 ? [​IMG] should raz up the ben together some time [​IMG]

#69 The boy from Tas, Apr 23, 2009
  20. gnome stealer

gnome stealer First Runs

hey ha yer, wats ya name then man,

21. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

u live in launnie or something man?

22. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

oh yer and i have skied on mt field a few years back loved the walk(not). only 15 almost 16 skied for 10 year bout that love it! any1 my age up at the ben ?????

23. gnome stealer

gnome stealer First Runs

my other account is gnome robber just remembered the email address

24. doomechanic

doomechanic First Runs

Basically born and bred on the mountain. Started skiing in '88 at 11mnths, haven't stopped since!! Didn't start boarding till 2006/07 in Canada. I've got an absolute obsession with snowmobiles, currently 20 odd in the garage, most of which have their history tied to the Mountain. I've worked for AE since 2005 as BD's right hand and am now in charge of the mountains sled maintenance and repairs.
    I'm one of those sad people with a passion for the hill who would rather be down here on 10cm than in Canada on 10ft (although it was nice)!!
    I hide out in either Birubi or the Bin, or anywhere else the beer is kept...

25. DaveAC30

DaveAC30 Hard Yards

Fraid, I am another oldie skier. Started way back in '78 when I was about 17 or 18, firstly at Mawson, was a member of the Uni Ski club and remember some excellent parties there, including skiing at Midnight from the top of Mawson to the carpark with only moonlight to light the jeep track.

Next skiied Ben and from there in '81 went to Europe and skiied at Grindelwald (Switzerland) and also some mountains near Innsbruck (Austria).

Then heaps more skiing at Ben, and occasionally Mawson, even once skiied in my parents backyard back in Taroona, Hobart in '85, when it snowed down to the rivers edge !

There after trips to NZ (5 trips so far), including Mt Hutt, Porters Heights, Mt Cheeseman, Mt Dobson, Broken River, and in more recent years, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Cardrona. Am currently on my 3rd set of new Skis, which I bought a couple of years ago in Queenstown. AC30s and Rossi boots. Fantastic gear. Gave them a very good workout last year in NZ.

Was hoping to go across this year but lack of $$ prevented this. Am hoping possibly to get up to Perisher for a couple of days in August but not sure if this will happen.

Will definitely be up at Ben once it snows sufficiently to be open. Bring it on Hughey !! Dream destinations, Canada, Japan, French and Italian Alps and will get there one day. Also heli skiing, plus plenty more trips back to NZ, and of course Ben.

26. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

geez not many young people here. . TBFT and i seem to be the young ones.

27. Nicho

Nicho First Runs

How youngs young?

28. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

teens at high school and at collage

29. RAvensTHorpe

RAvensTHorpe First Runs

Hi all,

I've been living in Tassie about 10 years now (I'm 29)
    Went skiing 1st time last year and totally loved it (wish i'd done it sooner)

Anyway really looking forward to this ski season and catching up with you all for a ski and beer on the ben

Cheers
    Ian

30. The_BL_Kid

The_BL_Kid First Runs

Hey

Im from the south of the state.
    I started boarding when i was 4 and started skiing when i was 11
    on my second day of skiing i won a junior race
    when i was in grade 4 i went to new zealand for to weeks.
    and thats pretty much my story

31. Ironstone

Ironstone Hard Yards

I first saw snow in the form of big old drifts while on a family holiday at Charlottes Pass Chalet but that was it for many years.
    I did time on the mainland seeing very little snow beyond the odd fluke of falls while at boarding school and on high ground in SE Qld. I grabbed the chance of a job on the Tassie West coast and took up cross country at the first chance I got and have been keen on it ever since. At the time I was really keen to escape tropical hot climates and have not regretted it, and ended up retired and living in Launceston.
    My obsession has been with getting into high ground patches on the central plateau by practical routes for carrying skis. I had early success with Ironstone Mtn using a wombats line to minimize the dolerite boulder field problem to access the 1400m country, though it is still a stiff walk but manageable as a full day trip from Launceston. I also established linked animal pads to do the same for Clumner plateau as I call it.

32. snow lover  (:

snow lover (: First Runs

hmmmm i happen to be a young one, maybe you don't know the right people!!!!

#82 snow lover (:, Jul 27, 2009
  33. InnerThigh

InnerThigh First Runs

Got my first taste of snowboarding in 08 (years ago compared to most, I know :)) in Buller on a school trip, followed that up by going to Benny. Put a few hard scuffs and bruises on my board haha.
    And just recently, went for a trip over to NZ for a week.

Brings me to here, sitting in front of the Mac during my lunch break.. Waiting, for a dump on Benny!

Hopefully there is snow around the 19th-20th as I will be heading up to Benny with my old school..

34. melissajane

melissajane First Runs

So this hasn't been posted in for almost 2 years lol.. but better introduce myself

First learned to ski in 2001 at age 13, spent 2 days up there learning and loved it. Went back the next year (2002) and spent 2 days up there that season, but up until 3 weeks ago, I hadn't been for 8 years (and trust me this was only due to school/work commitments and lack of a decent snow season the last few years).

Have always loved the sport, but my passion has re-ignited and i'm holding out for the ski lifts to open again this year. Attending my first Ben Lomond Bender in a few weeks time, super excited for it should be a great day/night!!! Just hoping the snow continues to fall until then [​IMG]

#84 melissajane, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  35. Rucas

Rucas First Runs

Well since Melissajane's post it's been another year since this has been posted in but again I'll introduce myself instead of lurking like I have for the past 2 months.
    We'll I'm a mid twenty's guy who has travelled a bit, including to Canada for a few winter seasons. I am a snowboarder who learnt at Revelstoke Mountain Resort a few years ago. I skied since I was 3 or 4 ish at Mt Selywn.
    I am in Launceston for some Uni and hope to get to Ben Lomond as much as possible. Can't wait..

Now I just have to settle into town, find some work, learn how to make a better fire and explore.
    -Lucas