News Wettest March in Sydney in 33 years

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
depends on where its measured.
which is why I really hate stories like this.
We had more rain in March 2012 than March 2017.
So it was our wettest March in 5 years.

Falls expat

One of Us
Jul 12, 2000
London
There must be some mistake with the observations.

PROFESSOR TIM FLANNERY: We're already seeing the initial impacts and they include a decline in the winter rainfall zone across southern Australia, which is clearly an impact of climate change, but also a decrease in run-off. Although we're getting say a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas of Australia, that's translating to a 60 per cent decrease in the run-off into the dams and rivers.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
There must be some mistake with the observations.

PROFESSOR TIM FLANNERY: We're already seeing the initial impacts and they include a decline in the winter rainfall zone across southern Australia, which is clearly an impact of climate change, but also a decrease in run-off. Although we're getting say a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas of Australia, that's translating to a 60 per cent decrease in the run-off into the dams and rivers.
Disingenuous post. Sydney has a completely different climate to southern Aust (VIC, southern SA and WA, Tas). These areas are all seeing a decline in winter rainfall year on year because the roaring forties (which also bring us snow) are being forced further towards the 50s. I am no Flannery fanboy by a long stretch. He has made some clangers in the last but he is dead accurate on this one. Also, the high Sydney rainfall happened over end of summer, early autumn, not winter.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
If this becomes a climate change discussion, I'll shut this thread down very quickly.
You have been warned.
I stand 100 percent by my post, which added much needed meteorological context to a deliberately provocative comment

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
I'm not picking out any posts in particular; but climate change discussions here become a shitfight, and everyone knows it.
That's why we don't have them in the weather forum. By all means, discuss in CV.

Reactions: DbSki

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Last edited:
Reactions: FourSquare04

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I apologise for dropping that bombshell. It was done in a light hearted way...at least I thought so. Once again sorry.
Thus have several things been averted, included among them:
1. Angry mods (and nobody EVER wants that).
2. Angry me (ditto, although I'm much more harmless)
3. General annoyance and lack of good spirit on the forums

Reactions: Claude Cat

Angleski

Hard Yards
Jan 28, 2016
North of Anglesea
A question to those from Sydney. What has been the impact of the rain on soils, gardens and the bush?

The Geelong area had rainfall in the top decile for April. We had a wetter winter and early spring last year and even though the summer period was dry the cracks in our heavy black clay soil did not open up so much, indicating a fair bit of sub-soil moisture. It has been interesting to observe how well the established trees looked over summer and how much the shrubs we planted last year have grown. After the April rain out soils are saturated and we would be happy for a couple of dry weeks. Happy to send our rain to anyone who needs it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass