1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Whakapapa New lifts.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Pow_Hunter, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Pow_Hunter

Pow_Hunter Hard Yards

Anyone know the status of the new lifts proposed at Whakapapa? Would love to be filled in

2. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Are you referring to RAL's proposal to replace the Knoll Ridge and Waterfall T-Bars with chairlifts and extend snowmaking into this area? It's also proposed that RAL will remove the Valley T-Bar, presumably access to the Valley will be provided by the new Knoll Ridge chair. All 3 of these lifts currently impinge into what is called the "gift area" i.e. that part of the volcano that the Crown and Tuwharetoa agreed was sacred to Tuwharetoa when the volcanoes were gifted to the nation as a National Park in the 1890s.

3. Pow_Hunter

Pow_Hunter Hard Yards

Yep thats the plan i was looking for an update on :)

4. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

[​IMG]

The Knoll T is my favourtist T in the whole world.
    It has everything a good T should, on the day.

[​IMG]

These pics are not representative of the queues all season round.

[​IMG]

I'd be devastated to see it go, opening up to the thrill seeking hoi poloi with their Dr Scholls sandals and thick (or nasal) ..insert nationality here..accents and their adoration of Abba, so anyway, local issues mean nothing will happen.
    Last time I heard (maybe listened) the legality of the gifting of the whole mountain had been questioned.

#4 Toto Warmlet, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    ScottGN likes this.
  5. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

2013 winter was poor , RAL just broke even ,
    $ not released yet for 2014 season, but was pretty awesome going to Nov 9th with no queues.

RAL is a nonprofit operator so probably very difficult for them to take out large loans for the lift build.
    but they do publish their report.
    just google ral annual report 2014 ruapehu

2014 they are bogged down in long term lease renewal, seeing its a world heritage park.
    so they need that secured and the big$, before any build.

there are many +s with the current lift layout and a lot of -s with the proposed lifts : Im more than happy to see the current layout maintained

theres a 500m V skateboard comp on soon; and plans a'comin for Turoa summer gravity MtB

~