Canberra
Dual belt adjustment.
belt.jpg

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
My new bag arrived yesterday. What a beauty .Very nicely crafted piece of equipment. Some incarnation of Dyneema that feels tougher than what Hyperlight bags use. Excellent adjustment on the pockets, with an interesting stretch material on the central pocket. Looking forward to dragging it around the bush and crags.
atom1.jpg
atom2.jpg
Watch this space.

Reactions: Kletterer

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
My new bag arrived yesterday. What a beauty .Very nicely crafted piece of equipment. Some incarnation of Dyneema that feels tougher than what Hyperlight bags use. Excellent adjustment on the pockets, with an interesting stretch material on the central pocket. Looking forward to dragging it around the bush and crags.
atom1.jpg
atom2.jpg
Ice axe attachment but no ski attachment!
Looks nice.
Basic is best (but maybe a tad more for skiing ;) WMG)

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Sorry folks i missed your questions- but yes its the MO model 60 litre. Dragged it through some roughness on Sunday. Burnt sticks- Hakea and Banksia stabs , falls on scree and such for its first run. It was nice to get a personal note from the Atom team saying Laura handmade my pack and please use the haul loop. I chose a customized option

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
@zapruda - what size backpack do you travel with in the snow?

I have a bulky older sleeping bag and also a bulky down jacket so prefer 70L plus..

My Osprey Aether does the job, but I must admit it is tempting to shed some weight.... on the backpack as well.

Hey @Chaeron ....I looked at that model this morning and thought it might be an option for overnight. Just a night or two snow camping and skiing.

Would you recommend and had it (besides the weight) proven to be functional when carrying ski etc?

Cheers.

Reactions: Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Hey @Chaeron ....I looked at that model this morning and thought it might be an option for overnight. Just a night or two snow camping and skiing.

Would you recommend and had it (besides the weight) proven to be functional when carrying ski etc?

Cheers.
Would highly recommend for the price - the new model and the high end new model even more so. I have used it for exactly this purpose and it does the job well - keeping weight below 18kg for skiability. The detachable top bit for skiing laps with once you’ve dumped the pack is also good.

One can go lighter, but it costs way more.

Fine carrying ski on the walk in - strapped to sides or attached to back and tied skis together at top.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Would highly recommend for the price - the new model and the high end new model even more so. I have used it for exactly this purpose and it does the job well - keeping weight below 18kg for skiability. The detachable top bit for skiing laps with once you’ve dumped the pack is also good.

One can go lighter, but it costs way more.

Fine carrying ski on the walk in - strapped to sides or attached to back and tied skis together at top.

Thanks. I liked the harness and fit seemed about right for me. Most of my other kit is reasonably light so that model might just work. Cheers.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Thanks. I liked the harness and fit seemed about right for me. Most of my other kit is reasonably light so that model might just work. Cheers.
https://www.paddypallin.com.au/osprey-aether-pro-70l-pack.html

New pro model a bit exxy... but punches above its weight ( hard to do as well for the same price)

Regular model new version also good, and you’d get good pricing on the old model...

I’ve upgraded to an Exped so if you want the older model in 85 litres.... (some Aussie bush wear though)

Reactions: SMSkier

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
The Pro looks alright weight wise? I know you can almost halve that though. A typical canvas, old school would be 2.5-3.5kg, so anything under 2 looks alright to me!

Reactions: SMSkier and Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
The Pro looks alright weight wise? I know you can almost halve that though. A typical canvas, old school would be 2.5-3.5kg, so anything under 2 looks alright to me!
The challenge of middle age - don’t make up for a lack of fitness by buying lighter gear you dreamed about when you were younger and poorer. Rather get fit!

Reactions: malas1 and telecrag

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
A friend just purchased Arc’teryx Bora AR 63 packs for himself and wife - male and female versions. Wholesale so won’t be as pricey as the list price which looks crazy expensive.

I have Arc’teryx touring kit but no insights as to their backpacks... any experience ? Apart from pricing.

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
I love a white pack that’s been thrashed. I would also love a Cilogear pack... hmmmm

Pics?
Flicking back thru this thread. Saw you wanted some dirty white pack pics :)

As you can see, most damage is on the W/NWD lower material (xpac inside). Again, I think it demonstrates the weak point of the xpac grid. But it got hammered as well... The upper sides are woven dyneema, they're doing well.

Gave the pack a good wash recently. And got a new hipbelt to replace the old.

This is as clean as it got...

IMG_6849.jpg
IMG_6850.jpg
IMG_6851.jpg

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Flicking back thru this thread. Saw you wanted some dirty white pack pics :)

As you can see, most damage is on the W/NWD lower material (xpac inside). Again, I think it demonstrates the weak point of the xpac grid. But it got hammered as well... The upper sides are woven dyneema, they're doing well.

Gave the pack a good wash recently. And got a new hipbelt to replace the old.

This is as clean as it got...

IMG_6849.jpg
IMG_6850.jpg
IMG_6851.jpg

What a beaut! Thanks for the pics. Id love to own one myself but I’ll stick with the Northrim and Southwest for the moment.

All the xpac I have used has always abraded too quickly at the X grid. It’s a shame because many packs are being made with it these days. I’m guessing because the profit margins are pretty good using it.

Thanks mate.

Reactions: ecowain

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
I sent a msg to HMG today to ask if their pro program was open to me or not. The northrim looks nice. Still can't decide if a 4400 would be most useful for my mix of personal and work use. 3400 would mostly work, but might be maxed out a lot if carrying stuff for the kids as well.

And amazon US made the xmid 1p accessible again today, so have a new tent on the way, hooray.

It must be raining!

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
I just got a 28l Granite Gear daypack weghing 510g. Lightest non-tech pack I saw for the weight.
Not for skiing as such- and not uberlight I know but great for pottering around doing lots.

Last edited:

Vibrrrsov

First Runs
Aug 18, 2021
I have a similar fishing backpack. Of course, it is not the same, but the technologies of production are the same. Did you know that the Germans first started to use waterproof backpacks for their army in the Second World War? I think that the one that is on the photo might be one of these. Since that time, that waterproof started to be produced not only for army reasons, and now a regular person like me can buy one for going fishing and not only. For example, while ascending mountains, the waterproofness of the backpack is also essential.

Last edited:

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
I’ve been using a Pa’lante desert pack pretty heavily since April. The pack design is fairly standard for a frameless and hipbelt-less pack but it’s the material that has me all hot and bothered.

They are using a combination of 800d and 400d “Ultra”. It’s lighter and stronger than the equivalent in polyester and nylon.

I’ve been really impressed at how it’s been holding up. I’ve pushed it through and slid down quite a bit of granite and limestone without any noticeable damage. It shrugs of scrub easily. Even the mess of thorny creepers in the Budawangs didn’t puncture it.

There is also similar fabric on my HMG Northrim pockets. Metal ski edges have not caused any problems.

I think this start to become the default fabric in ultralight packs going forward. It will certainly be the end of polyester backed DCF packs.

F641B7C2-BB74-4DDA-8972-2CC50ED63A2B.jpeg

FD89BC4B-20C9-45D2-BD57-F2ECC1F78C09.jpeg

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
I’ve been using a Pa’lante desert pack pretty heavily since April. The pack design is fairly standard for a frameless and hipbelt-less pack but it’s the material that has me all hot and bothered.

They are using a combination of 800d and 400d “Ultra”. It’s lighter and stronger than the equivalent in polyester and nylon.

I’ve been really impressed at how it’s been holding up. I’ve pushed it through and slid down quite a bit of granite and limestone without any noticeable damage. It shrugs of scrub easily. Even the mess of thorny creepers in the Budawangs didn’t puncture it.

There is also similar fabric on my HMG Northrim pockets. Metal ski edges have not caused any problems.

I think this start to become the default fabric in ultralight packs going forward. It will certainly be the end of polyester backed DCF packs.

F641B7C2-BB74-4DDA-8972-2CC50ED63A2B.jpeg

FD89BC4B-20C9-45D2-BD57-F2ECC1F78C09.jpeg
How often do they have these in stock?

Reactions: zapruda

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Day pack

Winter night+ trip

Had a dynafit speed 27L day pack but eventually broke after lots of use