1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What can you do with all the ice at Thredbo?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Luekerbadder, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Luekerbadder

Luekerbadder First Runs

I was at Thredbo right after the school holidays - and it was the best i'd seen the resort in years!!.. nice deep powder everywhere.. made me wonder why i'd been visiting Perisher everyseason for the past 5 years.. made me wonder what if.. what i'd been missing out on..

ANYWAY.. i was at thredbo again last saturday.. it had become a Ice Rink.. thredbo marketing call it a "Firm Cover on packed snow" for us lay people thats ICE.

All of the runs that made it worth while to visit Thredbo had not just little sections of ice but massive sheets of it..

The Dream run - was shocking.. less than 1cm of snow on top of solid ice in some parts the rest of the run was just ice.

The Funnel web was ice moguls... with dirt, mud & sticks at the end.

Little Beauty was more than a little icy..

I think you guys get the picture.. really unless Thredbo gets a healthy dose of snow.. don't bother going there unless your planing to wear ice skates down.

So now thats spoilt my vision of Thredbo again for another 5 years..

2. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

You really need to learn where to ski in Thredbo mate [​IMG] No point bagging an entire mountain just cos you don't have your bearings.

Dream Run and Funnel Web say it all really... wrong wrong wrong parts of the mountain. NEVER EVER ski Nightmare unless there has been 2 foot of snow overnight and you're first tracks. Give funnel web a miss if there's been no fresh snow for a week at the most.

Why weren't you skiing Basin, Karels, Sponars, Antons and Wiiamea where we were getting up to boot deep freshies all day long on the same day?

If it's windblown on hardpack, you need to stay HIGH and that means dressing up and putting up with the weather and getting into it. It also means skating over ice patches to find the stashes, which I've found pretty normal going at all ski resorts I've been to while chasing windblown.

#2 sastrugi, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. Luekerbadder

Luekerbadder First Runs

Maybe you like doing the same runs again and again all day.. but when i ride thredbo.. i start up at Meritts , go through the bowl a few times.. then down Dream run just for something longer.. back up and down high noon - over a few jumps while i've still got some energy..

Antons and Sponars are only worth doing once or twice.. cos a 20min wait to do a 5min run isn't worth it i reckon.. then off to supertrail/kosi express. ..so i've checked out the entire mountain then head back to the good bits...

But really... Basin, Karels, Sponars, Antons are a bit short don't you think.. you spend more of the day queuing than riding..

Unless your one of those buggers who do the active queing thing - you know who you are..

4. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

20 minutes on Antons/Sponars?

You were there in school holidays right?

Skiied Basin/Karels for a few hours 2 weekends ago, no queues (well 4 or 5 people) and I don't think I did the same line twice and got lots of fresh windblown boot deep powder on great fall lines.

Shame you didn't like it, but each to their own.

5. sastrugi

Ah nevermind, it's ok mate. Go back to Perisher [​IMG]

#5 sastrugi, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Luekerbadder

Luekerbadder First Runs

I was talking about last saturday.. 2 weekends ago-it was awesome i agree.. right after school hols..

but lastweekend just highlighted that Thredbo needs another good dumping for top to bottom skiing... or else you get stuck on short runs at the top all day..

#6 Luekerbadder, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. whatajoke

whatajoke Hard Yards

Yep, Couldnt agree more sastrugi. There are plenty of places to ride at thredbo when its been cold and no new snow has fallen. (ice)

You just need to know where to go. and sharpen your edges too.

#7 whatajoke, Aug 8, 2007
  8. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

It is no use saying "you need to know the secret spots" when the vast majority of the mountain is such a mess of variable snow at the moment with not much fall line that could be called "quality" snow.

Calling it with some honesty is far more useful for the skier than taking the "precious local" approach.

Conditions change all the time so being "loyal" to a hill usually means you put up with average when over the hill may be excellent.

9. Ian D

Well 2 weekends ago I skiied Antons/Sponars, Basin/Karels.

Short queues and lots of varied lines to choose from. Didn't see a 20 minute queue all day, longest would have been 5 minutes at Merrits where we went for lunch.

10. Ian D

How are runs that are clearly marked on the map "secret"?

Anyone that has skiied a few times at different resorts in Australia should be capable of identifying a few simple truths.

1) High traffic areas are either heavily compacted (ice) or slush after some time with no fresh.

2) The lower you go the heavier it gets

3) The more exposed ridge lines get icy quickly

4) The higher you go the better the snow quality gets and it is best in the lee of prevailing winds (usually from the W quarter - NW to SW).

It isn't rocket science. I could goto any resort in Australia and with no fresh snow for 10 days tell you where to avoid and where to go and that is just from looking at the piste maps.

Complaining that the supertrails and funnelweb were hard and icy after a week or so of no snow is like complaining that towers at Perisher or Zali's at Blue Cow is the same. It is no more than a statement of the obvious. Shock horror, the lower supertrail was getting heavy, wow, so was the lower part of the Ridge!

11. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I was also there 2 weekends ago and had a great time on the t-bars with very little queuing.

there were queues on all the chairs, far more than I am used to at falls. One look at dream run from the chair told me it wasn't going to be any fun in the conditions. I had fun around world cup and true blue and up at merritsand high noon was quite good first thing on sunday. But otherwise the runs around the chairs were pretty awful. But it didn't matter because the t-bars were so bl00dy good.

and basically it was my first time at thredbo: so it wasn't a case of knowing secret spots, just keeping my eyes open and using my brain

12. Hilo's alter ego

Hilo's alter ego First Runs

I sympathise with the complaints, but "that's Thredbo". In less than ideal conditions you need to stay high. Thredbo has a limited number of "high runs". After all, it's selling point is its vertical drop, and some of my favourite skiing at Thredbo is that last drop in the vicinity of Lovers Leap (L&R) which is really only good a few days a year at best. But that's an aside. I sympathise with the limited variety of skiing at Thredbo in average to bad conditions, but that's partially offset by the great village and variety of other activities; ski in the morning and when you're bored go play a round of golf, or tennis, or do some laps, or go for a bike ride, or read a book and sip a coffee etc etc. And even in the average to bad times you can really learn to arc a turn at tHredbo. If you can carve a proper turn on Tnredbo's firm hardpack you'll become a truly good skier.

Variety is the spice of life. Ski all the resorts at least a bit.

13. sastrugi

I'd hardly call skiing Sponars Gully, Central Spur, the Basin or Sasha's Schuss secret spots. I wouldn't say the skiing on Monday or last Thursday was the same as the skiing on Saturday either, which is what the original post was about.

All the 'precious local' comments do is continue to sound like sour grapes from bitter ex employees. There's plenty of them around [​IMG]

#13 sastrugi, Aug 8, 2007
  14. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What he said. You really need to get to know Thredbo.

I am sure people say Perisher has bad features too.

Don't bag out a resort based on one frikkin day. Sunday was ferkin fantastic, if you'd hung around, sunshine.

#14 VSG, Aug 8, 2007
  15. VSG

Hey!.. this bloke knows what he speaks. Sometimes. [​IMG]

Hey bladder.. you better go back to Perisher.

#15 VSG, Aug 8, 2007
  16. VSG

Hey, take it back a peg. Skiing in Australia is shyte, most of the time. Take the good with the bad. No precious locals stuff here. I skied PB for 18 years before I really discovered Thredbo.

And Thredbo is the superior resort.

#16 VSG, Aug 8, 2007
  17. dawooduck

I think the point being made is that, with the exception of a hand full, the "clearly marked runs" at Thredbo are currently a dogs breakfast of snow conditions. I know Sagi as I was there on Monday and not in the Melbourne suburbs playing "inane local".

As was noted by another "valued employee" friend on Monday, much of the best snow holding terrain at Thredbo is messed up by the endless need for people to traverse across the hill to get from one ridge to another. The suggestion was that Thredbo needs a lift out of Black Sallees up to the top of the ridge and another lift from the bottom of WC up to the top of the Ridge line above the Basin.

One thing you learn as a skier is that "loving" a resort only limits your skiing experience.

The superior resort is the one with the best snow.

18. VSG

...and then we'd keep wishing we were at Jackson, or Steamboat, or Park City.

Be happy with what we have. Yes, Thredbo has limits. But no dramas if you have the right mindset. [​IMG]

#18 VSG, Aug 8, 2007
  19. choc

choc One of Us

Yes, for the majority of the season, most of the lower runs (Dream run, Highnoon, Supertrail, Funnelweb, Schuss, etc) all get icy, hard packed, slushly, crap. And when that happens, head high and ski the 300m of vertical that is good (Basin, Karels, Sponars, Antons), after all thats all the vertical that you ever get over the road. But when it is good, skiing that extra 300m of vertical (probably only happens 20 days a year) is what makes Thredbo good.

I think DWD summed it up well with "The superior resort is the one with the best snow."

20. TB

TB First Runs

I agree with the precious locals-I took a vic friend to Thredders the SIC weekend and week beyond. I would dearly love to have taken him into GCB, funnel web, dream run and the schuss but they would have been completely carp.

We had a great time and yeah we prob rode too many Tbars but we got some awesome tracks around areas mentioned plus Merrits boundary. By thurs when it was really icy we enjoyed some nice groomed long runs (mexican had to keep "resting").

I love Thredbo its awesome when it is and its beautiful when its ordinary.

Hey sastrugi I met you briefly at top Karels, my other mate was telling you about the mexican who had to retreat with serious boot injuries. I in fact stayed at squatters a couple nights later.

21. sastrugi

The superior resort is the resort you are at on the day. Can't be in two resorts at once and what's the point of whinging on any given ski day?

#21 sastrugi, Aug 9, 2007
  22. Ian D

Ahhhhh

S

S

S

She .....

#22 Ian D, Aug 9, 2007
  23. VSG

Ian .. nobody tells me these things. Like Deye is a big girl.

24. choc

choc One of Us

I'll pay that.

25. Luekerbadder

Luekerbadder First Runs

Geez no need to get narcky there bro..

All i said was Thredbo needs a good dumping of snow, and then i gave a condition report on some of the top to bottom runs..

So we all agree.. Thredbo is bloody tops when it has fresh snow.. at the moment it needs some fresh snow..

When conditions are like this the go is to stay high and ski the top of the mountain only.

runs to avoid is anything top to bottom - as you'll encounter large sheets of ice..

And I will go back and ski Perisher, Falls & Hotham till Thredbo gets another good dumping..

26. dawooduck

The top of the mountain was a dogs breakfast on Monday so we went to where the snow was excellent on Tues [​IMG] .... whilst the rusted on "locals" stayed with second best.

No one is "whining" Sagi ... they are just calling it like it IS

#26 dawooduck, Aug 9, 2007
  27. sastrugi

Ummn.... last I heard Perisher, Falls and Hotham have not had any fresh snow either???? Oh that's right, they all have good snow all the time anyway. I keep forgetting.

All that and this:

[​IMG]

#27 sastrugi, Aug 9, 2007
  28. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

I'm not buying into this Thredbo v Perisher exercise but surely Perisher gets icy sometimes. Everywhere will get icy if the conditions are right. As long as it's not bulletproof and you have sharp edges skiing in "firm" conditions can be fun. Doesn't hurt your skiing either.

29. Goats Eye Riders Left

Goats Eye Riders Left One of Us

^ even Canada gets Icey

30. VSG

If that was directed at me...

Fair call. Both resorts can be crap. Lets leave it.

Lucky Oz has snow, in the first place. [​IMG]

#30 VSG, Aug 9, 2007
  31. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Gee seems a bit like people laying into a bloke for stating his opinion about the current conditions! Give the bloke a go.

Thredbo may be icy, Perisher may be slushy, Hotham might be on windhold, someone might not njkoy skiing there because of those things. They are at least entitled to state their opinion!

Well done Luekerbadder, I can assure you I will not be skiing thredbo this year! [​IMG]

#31 trappers, Aug 9, 2007
  32. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

trappers, his experience was based on SIC weekend when many of us were there. Our experience was that you could find fantastic conditions and avoid most of the ice. His report said not to bother going there because it was all ice. So it's hardly surprising that he has come out of it a bruised for not making the best of the conditions on offer at the time.

33. whatajoke

whatajoke Hard Yards

At the end of the Day, Thredbo is super fun whether it is icy or pow! just enjoy it whatever the conditions, and the more you ride there, the more knowledge you will gain as to which runs ice up earlier than others.

I know i would rather be rising an icey thredbo than being at work.

34. VSG

Good. We don't want you. lucky you are up near the Arctic. [​IMG]

#34 VSG, Aug 9, 2007
  35. dawooduck

My motley crew of hard charging, Jindi dwelling, old school, resort building, disgruntled ex employee, turkey chicken wood duck punters had a few "precious resort" laughs on Mon & Tues whilst we where tearing up the snow that was on offer at Thredbo & PB. Skiing is such a funny sport full of really hilariously serious people.

Back for another go on the 18th & 19th & 20th and loving that 2007 is not 2006.

Its all good ... on the day.

You need to get out more Sagi [​IMG]

#35 dawooduck, Aug 9, 2007
  36. sastrugi

Glad you managed to squeeze two days in mate. Not sorry we left the mountain so totally trashed for you when the going was going was genuinely great in the 2-3 days preceding.
    Surprised your old body will be up for more in less than a month [​IMG]

My next ski days will be in Vic, probably within the month [​IMG]

#36 sastrugi, Aug 9, 2007
  37. dawooduck

May I suggest Falls Creek ..... ASB can show you all the "secret spots".

Perhaps one day you will join me for a trashing. Well for one run anyway .... because I don't wait for stragglers [​IMG]

You are still 8 days behind [​IMG]

#37 dawooduck, Aug 9, 2007
  38. sastrugi

Wow, it's a wonder there's any room on any mountain to fit in your ego.

And you just can't stand a woman having the last say, can you [​IMG]

#38 sastrugi, Aug 10, 2007
  39. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

Get a room you two. [​IMG]

#39 adminvb, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  40. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

That is enough of that I think. This has run it's course.