What do you reckon will happen with the NSW season?

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
If anybody believes that any politician can stop Delta in this country regardless of lock downs is crazy.
yep (not with the current process(s)). there are many other variants (modifications) waiting to happen (spread)

i have not heard of the flu affecting peoples (for the last 18 mths) but perhaps it's also waiting to happen (again)!

if they treated covid like the flu then things would probably be just like the flu and we would probably be skiing or sb!

Reactions: 7wombathead

Bedeb

Early Days
Jul 22, 2021
Milton
Personally I think the writing is on the wall that they are looking at operating at 20% of normal for August, after being shot down for at least half July. And thats a best case.

IMO, they will look next week at scaling back operations. Thredbo will look to operate what they can with full time staff (think summer ops). What will Perisher do?

The onflow effects of seasonal and other staff being laid off?

Or is it worth taking a BIG loss, business as usual?
I don't see what they can do? Who can actually go to the N.S.W snow ?

Bedeb

Early Days
Jul 22, 2021
Milton
I think it is unlikely Perisher will close completely for several reasons. Closure would potentially trigger more epic pass refunds.
Also, the competition between Perisher and Thredbo is pretty fierce, neither wants to give an inch to the other. So both will want to try and stay open in some capacity, even if it is just a handful of lifts
Who the hell is going to be able to go there?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I don't see what they can do? Who can actually go to the N.S.W snow ?
Was pretty busy right up until they shut us down on Friday. I was commenting on the skier traffic, and occasional need for lift queue control during both Thursday and Friday.

Although sadly I expect some long stay players who were here prior to Sydney or Canberra going into lockdown have bugged out once the whole state went in. So they won’t be coming back.

Reactions: Bedeb

7wombathead

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
South
In the Backcountry everybody has the responsibility to keep everybody safe and sound (assess risk), and help people that need a rescue. We also have to make our own decisions and be prepared to self Rescue, which means we have to take our own survival gear (Water, sleeping bag, bivy, warm clothes and a stove) and wait it out, particularly if there is bad weather and you're injured.

During the 2019/20 fires (State of Emergency), no one relied on just one thing (even the emergency services), and it was important that you made sound reasonable decisions, and communicated effectively within your affected community. We did not rely solely on the State to keep us safe. After a while we all figured out how to manage Fires. And as conditions abated we lost the Fear. This happened in SIX WEEKS.

COVID poses not as much as a Public Health threat in Australia, as the Threat that extended lockdowns pose, particularly if we start denying services (trade) within our community and destroy our small business economy. We need to stay together as a community even if we can't agree with each other.

The Australian Way.
IMG_2033.jpeg

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
In the Backcountry everybody has the responsibility to keep everybody safe and sound (assess risk), and help people that need a rescue. We also have to make our own decisions and be prepared to self Rescue, which means we have to take our own survival gear (Water, sleeping bag, bivy, warm clothes and a stove) and wait it out, particularly if there is bad weather and you're injured.

During the 2019/20 fires (State of Emergency), no one relied on just one thing (even the emergency services), and it was important that you made sound reasonable decisions, and communicated effectively within your affected community. We did not rely solely on the State to keep us safe. After a while we all figured out how to manage Fires. And as conditions abated we lost the Fear. This happened in SIX WEEKS.

COVID poses not as much as a Public Health threat in Australia, as the Threat that extended lockdowns pose, particularly if we start denying services (trade) within our community and destroy our small business economy. We need to stay together as a community even if we can't agree with each other.

The Australian Way.
Get Fcuked. From a firefighter. On both counts. You're welcome.

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
If anybody believes that any politician can stop Delta in this country regardless of lock downs is crazy. It is globally endemic and can't be stopped. It would take a complete stop to all trade and international people movement.

Nope. Our Australian and NSW Governments have failed at keeping us safe and healthy, but don't assume that keeping safe and healthy is an impossible task.

The problem with the current approach in NSW is that the government is listening to both the health and the business lobby advice. One says to lock down (although they refuse to publish what the health advice was), the other says not to lock down. This impossible situation leads to our current politicians' woefully ineffective lockdown.

If we had an effective quarantine system, then we wouldn't have cases coming into the community. And now that it's in the community, if we paid people to stay home, then we'd reduce the cost of sickness, death, and the indefinite economic burden of our current soft lockdown.

Reactions: Telemark Phat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
Cases up significantly in the ACT with a 2 week lockdown extension. That doesn’t bode well for the prospects of a lifting of the lockdown in southern NSW :(

Yeah would seem unlikely and being that it will be September by then I doubt the resorts will open back up.

Although I suppose if the snow is plentiful Perisher could use full time mt ops staff to open the V8.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Went for a wander to get some fresh air, it’s a very sad little hill, all the lockdown feels.
3DF28060-7900-464C-AF21-572D332874EB.jpeg
Village life would be rather subdued right now. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like for the residents.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
@LMB please tell me you have a splitty, you can at least still hike up anyway.
Ahhh…
She does... in Japan...
This! LOL
PB and I had intended to buy one each for keeping here when he “next” came over…
I do have the offer of the use of one (a good 5cm longer than I usually ride, but thatd be fine) .

But I don’t mind a boot pack either…
If and when PB gets here and we are still locked down I reckon that’ll be on the cards.
I reckon @LMB has inadvertently made some real corker decisions about equipment since this whole shit show has begun.
Indeed!
Choosing food over board collection in the hour before LOCK may have been a choice I’ll regret LOL
But I think I’ll be able to go get it out of the locker room at some time this week.

PB is bringing the mountain bikes and skateboards too, so there will be options for amusement.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
yep, exactly! due to the current process(s). getting there is very difficult, and now the lifts are shut!

Lift queues, bathrooms, all the indoor areas, etc are why the resorts are closed.
Think about how quickly colds and flu's go around the resorts and mountain towns in winter normally.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Aside from the financial concerns, I reckon it would be weirdly nice?
We thought it would be fun and were pretty excited when the Village was evacuated on Blues weekend in January 2003 but it actually got ridiculously boring very, very quickly. Sure, the 50 or so of us left in the Village could liaise and hang out together while not on ember duty, but due to the smoke and air quality, we couldn't actually do anything other than eat and drink. And with so little to talk about other than fire talk, it wasn't as fun as you'd think. Also, no streaming and smart phones back then, no local online businesses to keep some afloat.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
but due to the smoke and air quality, we couldn't actually do anything other than eat and drink. And with so little to talk about other than fire talk, it wasn't as fun as you'd think.
Sounds the last 7 weeks in the Okanagan. Except we have a bajillion tourists who are too dumb to change their plans, they just party their arses off and give us more covid cases than we've ever had.

• Sad
Reactions: sastrugi

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Never too old to learn new things!
start of the seasonal program this year, the instructor my daughter had for the last few years skiing was teaching snowboards this year. That afternoon when I picked her up, she stated "Dad, I want to learn how to snowboard now"

• Haha
Reactions: cold wombat and LMB

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
start of the seasonal program this year, the instructor my daughter had for the last few years skiing was teaching snowboards this year. That afternoon when I picked her up, she stated "Dad, I want to learn how to snowboard now"
Both my kids did both, youngest competed at interschools on board and skis. Great to develop extra skills while they're still young (and don't break as easily).

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
I'm fairly certain hubby already thinks I'm over-indulgent by having a solid board + splitboard LOL

Next purchase for me will be some skis+boots I reckon - looks like that's an easier way to get grommets on the snow :love:
Or you could have a grommet like mine "I am NOT a skier, I am a snowboarder and I am going to snowboard school" (quote from when Mr 12 was Mr 3 accompanied by stamped feet)
Parents shrugged shoulders and sent him off to snowboard school. He loved it from day 1.
He still loves snowboarding and has never downhill skied. He is a pretty competent cross country skier though and enjoys that as well.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Impact shorts might help in the first day or so. Just been having this discussion on a snowboarding women page. It’s more psychological than anything especially if you’ve hurt your tailbone before. However getting decent instruction and learning how to manage your edges on ice so you don’t slide out and crash onto your tailbone is the key to long term success. Edges are your friend EXCEPT on ice and boxes/rails.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Or you could have a grommet like mine "I am NOT a skier, I am a snowboarder and I am going to snowboard school" (quote from when Mr 12 was Mr 3 accompanied by stamped feet)
Parents shrugged shoulders and sent him off to snowboard school. He loved it from day 1.
He still loves snowboarding and has never downhill skied. He is a pretty competent cross country skier though and enjoys that as well.
I would prefer my kids to stick with skiing so I don't have to buy more gear, however if they take up snowboarding they will need to split board or I am not supporting their choices. Well, split board or decide to still ski for BC trips.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Impact shorts might help
A mountain biker I follow on utube wears armoured/padded under shorts. Seemed pretty cool and I have thought about it on the bike, not sure if I would be comfortable skiing with them though

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
A mountain biker I follow on utube wears armoured/padded under shorts. Seemed pretty cool and I have thought about it on the bike, not sure if I would be comfortable skiing with them though
My butt is too generous to use them, don’t need any more padding under my ski pants thanks very much! LOL

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass