What do you reckon will happen with the NSW season?

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Impact shorts might help in the first day or so. Just been having this discussion on a snowboarding women page. It’s more psychological than anything especially if you’ve hurt your tailbone before. However getting decent instruction and learning how to manage your edges on ice so you don’t slide out and crash onto your tailbone is the key to long term success. Edges are your friend EXCEPT on ice and boxes/rails.
I've got some and have removed all the padding except for the tailbone piece...I usually wear them on the first few days of the season more to give me confidence rather than any real risk of falling. It's like if I'm afraid of falling I WILL fall, but if I feel protected and confident then I never (rarely) fall. Especially after having broken my tailbone 3 times in my life, and it's still sore from the last time (mid-season 2018!!)

Reactions: LMB

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Or you could have a grommet like mine "I am NOT a skier, I am a snowboarder and I am going to snowboard school" (quote from when Mr 12 was Mr 3 accompanied by stamped feet)
Parents shrugged shoulders and sent him off to snowboard school. He loved it from day 1.
He still loves snowboarding and has never downhill skied. He is a pretty competent cross country skier though and enjoys that as well.
But this way I can pass off buying new ski gear (for myself) as necessary "for the baby" ;)

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
Now that the Regions are aligned with Sydney lockdown, there is no trigger point for it to be released in isolation for the SMRC LGA to operate IMO. Bad news for most of us but hopefully locals can still hit the backcountry (and post pics)
What an absolutely glorious job the authorities have done in Sydney, not only did they steadfastly refuse to put in real control measures that would have contained it to Sydney ,with numerous request for a "ring of steel" .
They also sat around for a few weeks to see what worked and what wasn't working and along the way the entire state is shut down , with outbreaks in country NSW, Canberra and all the way over in N.Z.
The most effective time to really control it was probably in the first few weeks with harsh measures , but after 2 months , the time for getting really good compliance and long gone as many out in the general population suffer from mask fatigue.

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
not much they can do. they have restricted everything to testing (is it accurate?), lockdowns (for all!), vaccines (only!), and quarantine. those are the the choices, no other choices!

the whole state of NSW is now ring fenced. hasn't worked before but let's hope it sort a works and even works!

really, best time to control it was in feb/mar 2019 or even before.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I'm fairly certain hubby already thinks I'm over-indulgent by having a solid board + splitboard LOL

Next purchase for me will be some skis+boots I reckon - looks like that's an easier way to get grommets on the snow :love:
I've had diehard boarding friends go back to skiing with grommets. Def the way to go. Then you can do both!

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
not much they can do

Lockdowns can be tweaked - and they'll need to if they want to stop transmission. If they don't get the reproduction value under 1.0 (it was 1.3 yesterday), then there'll be lots more sickness and death for months...

So there's all sorts of options available for the government:
- Forget LGA's and just give everybody a 5km radius (except for regional people who can go to their nearest town)
- Close non-essential places like fast food, hardware stores, and office supplies
- Pay people to stay home
- Mandate mask wearing anywhere outside the home where you're in close proximity to other people (say within 20m, because nobody wants to mask up if there's no-one around).

I hope they'll choose some or all of these, whatever is necessary, because it has got the the stage where nobody will be skiing any more this season without seeing more restrictions first. Besides, skiing will be the last of our worries if the health system starts collapsing.

Reactions: LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Why waste fresh snow on a board when you can ski it? :out:

In all seriousness though, much easier to be on snow with tiny tots while you're on skis than on a board was my point.
1629352769980.jpeg

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Lockdowns can be tweaked - and they'll need to if they want to stop transmission. If they don't get the reproduction value under 1.0 (it was 1.3 yesterday), then there'll be lots more sickness and death for months...

So there's all sorts of options available for the government:
- Forget LGA's and just give everybody a 5km radius (except for regional people who can go to their nearest town)
- Close non-essential places like fast food, hardware stores, and office supplies
- Pay people to stay home
- Mandate mask wearing anywhere outside the home where you're in close proximity to other people (say within 20m, because nobody wants to mask up if there's no-one around).

I hope they'll choose some or all of these, whatever is necessary, because it has got the the stage where nobody will be skiing any more this season without seeing more restrictions first. Besides, skiing will be the last of our worries if the health system starts collapsing.
80% of freight in the nation goes through NW. Will need to be a well managed ringfence.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Why waste fresh snow on a board when you can ski it? :out:

In all seriousness though, much easier to be on snow with tiny tots while you're on skis than on a board was my point.
Cant skate on a snowboard!

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
80% of freight in the nation goes through NW. Will need to be a well managed ringfence.
yep, ringfences haven't worked sofar (perhaps because they ringfence sick and not sick together) so probably not working in the future (perhaps never!). perhaps the (quite invasive!) test is not that useful because positive does not mean that you are sick. If you are sick then surely it is noticeable!

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Sydney in lockdown till 30th September.

Regional cases exploding.

State wide lockdown for the foreseeable future.

Ski season is toast.
I doubt the regions will be getting out of lockdown on the 28th that is sure, and I highly doubt the ACT will lift the ACT/NSW border restrictions until the Sydney/NSW restriction are lifted.

Hopefully I can get some tours out in October.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I doubt the regions will be getting out of lockdown on the 28th that is sure, and I highly doubt the ACT will lift the ACT/NSW border restrictions until the Sydney/NSW restriction are lifted.

Hopefully I can get some tours out in October.
Better tell the peeps in NSW who are thinking Perisher will re-open next weekend.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
3 of the 4 combined resorts done for the season. Staff released with quite an exodus of lifties from resort this morning - ski gear etc in tow. Perisher the only possible candidate to reopen at some point…IMO.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I was considering getting snowboard lessons with the kids after the season programs wrapped up this year. I guess that will now wait till next year and I will be even way too old to learn new things
You need to get a Covid test

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
I would assume Perisher has enough permanent Mt Ops staff that they can open the V8 and maybe one or two other lifts at anytime of year if they wanted too. So they don’t really need to officially call an end to the season, not until the snow melts at least.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I would assume Perisher has enough permanent Mt Ops staff that they can open the V8 and maybe one or two other lifts at anytime of year if they wanted too. So they don’t really need to officially call an end to the season, not until the snow melts at least.
Oh for sure.
Those guys will be busy now. Winding down the resort.

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
NSW crisis cabinet meeting today re regional NSW reopening. Very concerned about cases in the far west and north west, so that sounds like good logic to continue shutting down the rest of the regions which is bigger than many European countries!

Dont worry, Big Johnny is always putting the regions first and Gladys is going to let the ladies in Sydney get their hair done and the Brazilian tuned in a few days (no risk there), maybe a bit of a conflict of interest in that decision Gladys.

BUT outdoor recreation will most likely still be limited to the elite sitting on their surfboards for 3 or 4 hours in the one spot in the Northern Beaches and Eastern Suburbs………

despot721

One of Us
Jan 16, 2015
I just watched today's press conference and I'm rapidly losing confidence that any regions will come out of lockdown.
I've tried to stay positive about a Sep reopen but I don't think it's looking good.

Barilaro said 8 cases in Shellharbour and Wollongong. There is sewage detection (no cases yet) in Merimbula. He hinted at Canberra folk that headed to the coast prior to ACT lockdown.
I'm almost resigned to the fact the whole state will stay in lockdown until 28Sep.

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
I just watched today's press conference and I'm rapidly losing confidence that any regions will come out of lockdown.
I've tried to stay positive about a Sep reopen but I don't think it's looking good.

Barilaro said 8 cases in Shellharbour and Wollongong. There is sewage detection (no cases yet) in Merimbula. He hinted at Canberra folk that headed to the coast prior to ACT lockdown.
I'm almost resigned to the fact the whole state will stay in lockdown until 28Sep.
Some regional members of that thing they refer to as a Parliament have already leaked that there will be 6 more weeks NSW regional lockdown, of course taking it just past the end of the school holidays. Then the feeding frenzy will start for Xmas bookings with the promise of reopening and prices will be through the roof. Get used to more home tasks till February 2022 when the States will be panicking again cause we reopened too early etc……….

Reactions: Snow Blowey

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT

Andrew Barr's press conference response was hilarious. He said "I don't know how John knows how to tell the difference between Canberra poo and NSW poo, but if he has scientific evidence he should present it."

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass