1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What does Jindabyne really need ? .... your wish list

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Me+3, Aug 19, 2020.

1. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

looking at this map, are we talking about the hill behind the row of houses on the upside of the dead-end bit?
    I suppose that’s the green area

2. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Oh look I can see our place on that map...

person s likes this.
  3. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don't remember mine staying in town at all. Maybe some dentists appointment where we met them there.

Same for all the farm kids I went to school with. It has not changed, it is unlikely to change. I don't actually see the problem. One of the reasons we moved out of Sydney was to escape the criticism for not taking my kids to after school activities daily. Much happier to have them come home, touch base then wander off to do what ever. Soccer training once a week locally. All good.

Podlet, crackson and malas1 like this.
  4. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

The very steep hill behind that lands you at the ovals/stockyards.

5. person s

so is it buildable?
    and big enough?

6. Billy_Buttons

Nope.

Podlet and person s like this.
  7. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

The Goulburn bypass is only ~200m longer than the old route. It's also on the nation's busiest freight route, which greatly assists with BCR modelling, freight vehicle vehicle kilometre travelled values being considerably higher than private vehicles. It was also a challenge day in and day out, not six Saturdays and Sundays a year. But I guess you know this.

8. skichanger

So the thing that has annoyed me and got my back up is - I don't know what your profession is but it is a bit condescending to imply that on that basis the opinions of the rest of us are irrelevant. There is a bit of - of course you know better than us dumb parents and local residents. And then you tell is only 15-20% walk/cycle/scooter to school. Which is more or less consistent with what we have been saying.

Add to that the Delegate comment ......

So no playing grounds at all at the school you went to? How is that good? Bet you still had more showers and other resources than Jindy. And just because that was what you had doesn't make it perfect.

But moving on:
    In my opinion, the only kids a change in location could possible affect negatively are the 15-20% walk/cycle/scooter group. At the moment the overall benefit for all is being compromised for this group.
    There are arguments for and against locating the High School out at Sport & Rec. So not sure if it is the right location.
    What I do know is that what they have at the moment is less than ideal. And this school has been under resourced since it became a central school.
    If Jindabyne is going to grow something needs to be done and the sooner the better.

Me+3 likes this.
  9. Ozgirl

I had no showers at my primary or high school.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  10. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Better than Hanson’s pocket :eek:

climberman likes this.
  11. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I don't even know what a BCR is when it's at home. Except someone with inside knowledge showing off that knowledge, which is always a bit sad.

I would have thought that the best argument against a bypass is that the vast majority of problematic traffic originates in town, so would not use the bypass. But what would I know? I don't even know what a BCR is.

climberman likes this.
  12. Ozgirl

Where would the bypass go?

Up the "high side" of Jindy that's more susceptible to snow?

Sounds like a brilliant plan :rolleyes:

13. skichanger

Really? That surprises me. Didn't you do sport on the school grounds?

I suppose one of the things that winds me up about this is that the kids from Jindy mix with the kids from the private Sydney schools.

I went to one they built in the mid 70s. With the square buildings and quadrangle in the middle. It had a separate canteen/sports building. It had a basketball court and change rooms above the canteen. Was kind of weird to visit Killarney Heights high school when we lived nearby and know where everything was.

14. skichanger

Near the tip and Sport & rec, straight across to the Barry Way. Bypasses most of the town. Gives people from that area much better access to the rest of the world.

15. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Tunnel. East Jindy to Snowline.

skull, Ozgirl and skichanger like this.
  16. chicski

No showers for us. Guess we were just sweaty and smelly. Qld too.

Ozgirl likes this.
  17. skichanger

hmmm need to re-adjust my .... parameters as to what is normal. I still think schools should have some showers to encourage sport.

18. skichanger

Bridge might be more feasible.

19. Chookfooter

Chookfooter One of Us

If you have a look at Six Maps you can see the easement for the bypass, and it actually follows the new road in Highview that heads off towards Sport and Rec. There is a but though. When I was having a wander around the council website there was a DA for a childcare centre up there mentioned it was on land that was destined to be the bypass, but is no longer required. So the whole bypass idea appears to have been shelved. The other problem with building a bypass is the rules inflicted by the RMS on main roads, which would mean at least 2 lanes each way, possibly a roundabout, which requires visibility of at least 200 metres I believe, and all the other stuff to go with it. There is really nowhere between the dam wall and town where this would be feasible.

20. Ozgirl

We did sport/pe etc.

No showers, change of uniform (for HS only, not primary) and deodorant.

Was always amazed US highschools on tV had them.

21. derider

derider Early Days

I don't think there are many (public) schools with showers. I also went showerless in every school I ever attended, including an American middle school.

climberman and Ozgirl like this.
  22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

My high school, built in the mid 60s, had showers. Just not enough to cater for a whole PE class in the time allotted for changing at the end of the lesson.

skichanger likes this.
  23. climberman

I'm not implying your views are irrelevant, I'm discussing views. I think your views are really interesting. I kinda think, overall though, it's much much better to have kids located in towns, rather than well outside the urban area. 20% of kids walking to school is huge (~170 kids). You'd have to go to hippy-wanker-knobsville like Darlington public to better it I would say- it's double the TfNSW mode share goals for active transport for the next 40 years for regional areas. Nearly triple!. It's kind of weird to say 'only 1/5th of students would be impacted' (ignoring that getting driven to school when it's in town is more useful for the driving parent more often than heading a bunch of distance out of town, and then back in,as part of the daily multi-stop commute). The school has definitely grown - it'd be interesting to know whether that's considered a bulge or a future trend. Student forecasting is a bit of a challenge.

Re facilities, we had no showers at all, at either my primary or secondary schools, 3 or 4 spaces for staff parking at my secondary school, a third the space and a few more students, also across a K-12 setup (and because we were a wanker-la-de-dah school, 12 more staff). We also didn't have a gym (while I attended). It's not good nor bad but it makes me realise that space perceptions are all relative and are just perceptions, and I never really felt that we lacked anything (it's also very hard to feel hard done by for my alma mater, it's a strange place full of weird people). It was also in a highly urbanised environment, so space perceptions are different from the start. We did have a combined outdoor tennis court / netball court / basketball court which still seems to be there. Of course, I am old (old enough to have been catching double decker buses home if I missed the schol bus - these bloody things were from the 1940's!!
    )
    and perceptions of what are important things to have at schools change. Certainly my old school is now wildly over-serviced with physical and financial resources, but, well, that's their prerogative and I think there's a great argument to reduce or remove public funding of private schools but... not really likely to happen from what I can see.

Having travelled considerably to access school, I now place a very a large value on proximity; looking at the value (not only economic) that schools can bring to towns and suburbs I also think it's important they are co-located inside towns as best as possible. The increasing use of schools as shared community space is a positive too (community colleges, sports fields,cricket nets, courts, etc)

Benefit Cost ratio - my mistake, I live in three letter acronym world and it can vomit onto the screen while typing.

By far the more important issue for a place like this (for many places!) but not always grasped in a first pass conversation :) Most folks feel that there are few important local journeys (theirs, their mum's) and the rest is extra-local traffic, and in their way and should use a bypass.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  24. climberman

I went to a fancy school so we didn't have showers, but we smelled of roses and 1980's nouveau riche misplaced overconfidence :D

Telemark Phat, skull and Ozgirl like this.
  25. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The land there is not Crown and is only half the area of Central School so I'd suggest unfortunately that it is not a very suitable site.

26. climberman

Now I think about it no showers at the primary school my kids went to, or either of the high schools.

27. chicski

Soap in the toilets would be a start.

Ozgirl likes this.
  28. climberman

Ooooohhh, faancy!

Ozgirl, Bogong and chicski like this.
  29. Chookfooter

Chookfooter One of Us

You had toilets? Looxury.

chicski, climberman and piolet like this.
  30. skichanger

Ok. I got the wrong tone on some of your comments. Sorry, said genuinely not parronizingly.

I am a fan of schools being built on the edge of growing towns. In time they are then in suburbia. I am not keen on them being near the shopping centre. And as far away from busy roads as possible/practicable. I know these things are always a compromise. But the current location of Jindy Central, across the road from the major shopping centre, contributes to traffic congestion.

I had assumed 20% of kids walking to school was low. In my childhood it was. But then I remember we were threatened with being reported to docs for letting our kids walk to school when we lived in Sydney. That attitude was one of the reasons we moved out of Sydney. It surprises me that the goals for regional NSW are so low.

WRT driving kids to school, whether the school were in Jindy or a little out of town it would still take us less time to drive them there than it did in Sydney. And we lived so much closer to the school in Sydney. And not all are driving from in town. So in my opinion, for those driving their kids to school, so long as it wasn't way out of town, it wouldn't make much difference. The time spent finding a park near Jindy school can be more than the extra drive. Out of winter it is not like driving in Sydney or a major regional centre.

WRT to no showers. What about sport at school? My kids did sport one afternoon a week out of winter. I will have to ask what else they did. Pretty sure they don't have a gym. At least it is not really hot in summer down here. They played basketball and handball at lunch times. But if we want kids to be active these are the things we need. I look at all the over resourced private schools and ... how is this ok?

We are not allowed to use the schools as shared community spaces. Even playing on the playing fields out of school time and on weekends is actively discouraged. There have been incidents where the police have been called over this. The primary school my kids went to in Sydney has had a huge fence put up all the way around it. Personally I think this is wrong but it seems to be the policy. Apart from when I have had school aged children we have had nothing to do with schools. An enormous change in attitude by the schools and the powers that be would be needed to change that. My kids both did distance ed for a while. I have scathing views of the education system. This is not a criticism of teachers but of the system. I find it incomprehensible that things have not changed from when I went to school, and I am assuming I am older than you, so that is no change over a long period of time. I am almost surprised we don't have more suicides.

Space wise it should not be valid to compare city and country schools. Ironically the local schools where we were in Sydney, Frenchs Forest, had a lot more space than the schools down here. The primary school at its peak had about 1k students and 250 when my kids were there. They just about had 2 rooms for every class. We had a choice of 8 schools of a similar size. I think all the buildings at Jindy are single level. Lots of demountables. So a big footprint for what they actually have.

Time spent traveling to and from school, especially in the city, is sometimes a choice.

Summary: if Jindy keeps growing they need to do something about the school.

Me+3 likes this.
  31. skichanger

I just find this incomprehensible in the current situation.

32. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Yes, no problems even with the easement. It's not that bad, most of the area is flatish.

The primary school my kids went to was built on a steeper block than that. I've been to quite a few schools on worse locations. We lived across the road from a school for 10 years and it was great. Apart from the 10 -15 minutes of mayhem at the start of school and finish, it's quiet and the kids could play in the grounds on weekends.

That location provides a corridor of learning from SMGS through to the oval and JCS.

Me+3 likes this.
  33. Ozgirl

Most parents struggle to get their kids in the shower at home. Let alone at school. There typically is not enough time either.

Also with parking. Not sure anyone parks at Jindy. Isn't that why the road was closed for drop of pick up??

34. climberman

No worries at all! Good discussions :)

The school grounds use seems to be slowly changing but I have no insights into what the differences between schools are. The primary down the road from my home has a basketball court that is super-popular for locals and it's totally supported and allowed. I've gone down to 'shoot some hoops' (I'm so with it) with my lad once or twice on a weekend. I also did French lessons at another local school after hours in classrooms, which was great. But my son's high school is pretty locked up. Buggered if I know, schools are this huge bit of potentially public space in an modern world of restricted funding and co-use opportunities.

I think showers would be a great idea :)

35. skichanger

Isn't the shower how you wake up?

You approach the school from the topside if parking. Coming in from the round about - :headbang:

36. Ozgirl

I don't know anyone whoose kids shower in the morning!

I totally would shower at night if my hair was susceptible to it! (Don't ask...)

I hate showering in the morning.

37. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

We have to whip our kids to take a shower then once they're in you can never get e'm out. What's that all about?

skull and Ozgirl like this.
  38. Me+3

Me+3 Addicted

What makes you say this ?
    Six Maps tells me JCS is about 2.6ha.
    The corner block at roundabout noted in the pic further up the thread is 3.5ha.
    Plenty big enough and suitable.

39. Ozgirl

Kids??

That's pretty much me!

skichanger, CarveMan and climberman like this.
  40. Billy_Buttons

Have you stood at the edge of stockyards and looked down at how steep and narrow that plot is?

41. skichanger

Being able to have a shower in the morning is a major issue for westerners in Japan. It can be a bit of a shock to be told you can only use the shower between 4.30pm and 9.30pm.

42. Billy_Buttons

Public liability insurance issues. All changed over the past 10 years.

skichanger and Me+3 like this.
  43. Billy_Buttons

Pinetree corner or empty lot corner?

44. Billy_Buttons

It means bedtime follows. But getting wet is fun.

DPS Driver likes this.
  45. Ozgirl

Well yes. I would be the same.

Take away my choice and I'm not happy!

skichanger likes this.
  46. chicski

Admittedly it’s been a couple of years since I used them.

skichanger likes this.
  47. Me+3

Me+3 Addicted

Pinetree corner. Actually extends a fair way up.
    Check it out on SixMaps. Free website. Allows yo to turn on/off Lot ID, Lot boundaries etc... as well we do m2 checks & measurements.

piolet likes this.
  48. person s

yep, nope

49. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

No

50. Billy_Buttons

Yep, it goes all the way up to the stockyards. I was talking about the small strip behind Clide St. directly below the stockyards only.

Me+3 likes this.