1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question What drove the 2017 season?

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by bugeater, Jul 20, 2019.

1. bugeater

bugeater Hard Yards

I was just wondering what weather patterns drove the big dumps we got relatively late in the 2017 season. They finally shook me out of my complacency and got me skiing again, so I wasn't paying much attention to any analysis on the systems at the time up to that point. Any chance of a repeat (even if in a minor way?).

Guess I'm trying to understand what climatic patterns lead to those sorts of events.

2. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

bugeater likes this.
  3. Hermon

Hermon One of Us

Another important difference between the 2014 season and 2017, 2018, & 2019 is that 2014 had a much larger Antarctic Sea Ice extent in comparison with recent years.

2017 also had a cold wet April (which followed a mostly cool summer), but a mostly warm and dry June. It was a year of transition out of La-Nina to weak el-nino.

rocketboy likes this.
  4. Jellybeans

Jellybeans Walking on a dream Ski Pass: Gold

2014 was not a great season at the looks of things. Which is rather peculiar, given the Antarctic sea ice extent. Probably down to other factors.