1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to all this?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by trickie rickie, Aug 5, 2009.

1. trickie rickie

trickie rickie First Runs

#1 trickie rickie, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

i don't know if stav exists any more

the idea of moving xc base over to the dam is still being promoted. no decision AFAIK

lifts in McKay area theoretically still mooted but in reality won't happen because it is not believed to generate enough extra revenue. (see any of the hundreds of threads on this over the last x years)

3. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Maybe extra revenue is not the correct way to view McKay lifts. Perhaps it is a required investment to protect Falls Creek market share and reduce the churn rate of new skiers learning at Falls but then doing much of their skiing overseas after they get past intermediate standard. The feed back that I have got from people switching their skiing dollar to overseas resorts, including southern hemisphere where the snow fall is not necessarily that much more is that they are not getting value for dollar in Oz. They are paying for the sort of runs you would get at McKay but not getting them. With some longer runs on McKay we may be protecting our market with a lesser rate of loss to overseas. It the moment we are spending considerable dollars each year to recruit new skiers only to have the expense wasted by loosing them after a few years. Perhaps expanding the ski area is a better investment. Mindless expansion is not smart, but standing still in business does not work either. In the long run you are either growing or going backwards. The last decade Falls Creek has not realised it's winter potential. May be we need a new lift franchisee with a better vision of what can be.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't disageee with you ocker, I just can't be bothered posting about it again. I just summarised why it is very unlikely to happen

5. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

That is an issue that faces the entire industry and not just Falls. A couple of lifts wont fix the problem either.

#5 Ian D, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Really cannot see it happening anytime soon, if at all. As Curra says, this has been debated to death before...

7. Auska

Auska Hard Yards

agree with all the above, especially in the current economic environment.

The question also needs to be asked about long term viability of Australian ski resorts and the possible effects of climate change.