1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to the Arlberg

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by FatBoyDave, Aug 17, 2015.

1. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

First time I've been back at Buller in quite a few years. Thought I'd check out the usual old haunts.

What the hell happened to the Arlberg?

I was looking forward to sticky carpet, burnt pies left in the warmer for too long and an over priced beer while fighting my way to the open fire.

Not sure how I feel about the new family friendly vibe...

When did that all change?

CarveMan likes this.
  2. jgm

jgm Addicted

Just go to Abom! I called in last week for lunch for the 1st time in a couple of years & couldn't believe how far downhill it has gone. The place was filthy, & in the entire time we were there, nobody cleared or cleaned the tables. The "food" is no longer served on plates & is all pre-packaged. Prices have gone up as well & quantities are reduced. Spurs used to be the dirtiest place on the hill, but it is 5 star in comparison (& they still have plates).

ladycamper likes this.
  3. wolly

wolly One of Us

Jgm. Are you referring to abom or arlberg

ladycamper likes this.
  4. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

Big rebuild a few years back, maybe longer. I don't often find myself there.

5. jgm

jgm Addicted

Abom. Both the OLD Arlberg & the OLD Abom used to be similar, but they have now gone in opposite directions - Arlberg up and Abom way down.

Nooky's at Arlberg, Kofflers (menu unchanged in many years), Tirol and Cattleman's are OK. Prices are similar everywhere (including Spurs and Abom), it is service & quality that varies. Abom appears to have abandoned everything but school groups, & Spurs seems to be mainly populated by ski school.

If you must have faster food, Kofflers is good & clean, followed by Spurs which does vary the menu, but the cleanliness leaves a bit to be desired.

6. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty

The real old Abom was good, I ate a lot of apple pie there days working Bk St poma's.
    Sprint to Abom at smoko, slam down an apple pie, cream and hot choc and back to the lift in 10 min.
    Howqua poma or Grimus top I did the same at Kofflers every morning.

#6 DbSki, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  7. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

...FWIW: I think of a lot of apartments at Arlberg are now privately owned and leased out rather than 'Arlberg' owned -perhaps this has sparked the changes??

While on the topic, what's happening at the Kooroora? Has it been refitted? Is it being demolished and redeveloped or on permenant hold? My last visit inside - maybe five years ago - I thought everything looked the same as when I started skiing in mid 80s.

IMO - this part still feels really rundown, it feels worse now that do many other old buildings have been modernised or redeveloped. Be interesting to get a bit of inside goss/ vibe on this. Thoughts?