1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if it rains?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Kimandkids, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Kimandkids

Kimandkids Hard Yards

Hi there! I am going skiing again for the first time in about 8 years, this time with the kids I had since I last skied! We are staying in Jindy from Sunday - Friday and I have pre booked and paid for us to ski / kids in thredboland and all the hire gear for the Tues and Weds. Wow, it's a lot more money to spend when you have kids!
    MY QUESTION: what happens if it rains on the days we have booked? Does everything still operate? Will it be awfully miserable for everyone trying to ski in the rain? Does thredbo allow you to change the days booked or are they set in stone? With ony 2 days skiing booked to ease the little ones in I'm fretting if it rained!

2. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Never fun when it rains.....below are Thredbo's Terms & Conditions:

http://www.thredbo.com.au/terms-conditions/

#2 HappyGirl, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  3. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

I was lucky to be taken skiing from when i was about ten or so but always at the cheap part of the season, june. So skiing in crap conditions and often in rain was just how i thought it was - fun! Ymmv.

4. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Don't ski in rain. Kids will hate it and not want to ski again.
    Perisher is higher. So many be snowing there.
    Otherwise:
    War Memorial in Canberra.
    Movies in Cooma.

5. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ski
    Rain hail or sunshine

6. Robs

Robs Hard Yards

Or snow

#6 Robs, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There is rain and theres rain, that said, it's always a dilemma, but remember, if the kids are not uncomfortable then they will play in the rain for "some amount" of time. They will sense if you are uncomfortable about it.

When we first took our daughter she was 4years, and we were lucky enough to have been able to borrow a complete set extra ski clothes gear for her. So any time it rained we played until she had had enough, then went inside, occupied ourselves (kids love hot chocolate). Then when she was ready to go again we dressed her in dry thermals, socks ,gloves etc and went outside again. It's so easy to turn kids off skiing, by being negative yourself, or them having a negative experience. There weather will be what it will be, you just have to be creative about how you deal with it. Warm / Dry / Fun regardless of the weather is the key.

I reckon for the first two years my daughter was deriving more pleasure from the chairlift ride up than the ski down, (now she reckons all the chairs are too slow), so we spent a lot of time falling over in front of her, rolling in the snow, throwing snowballs, looking for wild animals in the trees, and generally being clowns, it worked, she got used to the environment, and now, just turned 10 she will ski in any weather including rain.

Just don't ever be negative about the weather, or let on that you are uncomfortable, remember when you were a kid and you played in the rain and how it didn't really matter until you went inside and got in trouble from your mum for being all wet.

#7 Nidecker, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  8. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo also has lots of stuff to do if it is simply too much for you to enjoy - take the swimmers and towels for the rec centre, it has a slide and play stuff for the kids as well as a 50m pool, and gym.

9. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

If it rains, the kids get put in green plastic garbage bags and they go out and have fun (but only if Ski School remembers to cut holes for heads and arms).

10. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Grad some really big orange plastic bags and cut arm and head holes and pull them over your gear.

If you are cashed up, ask for a "dabo bag" at the ticket office as they have ready made ones with logos.

If you get green bags you will have to go to Perisher.

11. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

^^^^^^^ too true ^^^^^^^

^^^^ nice advice, but really if your child is skiing Thredbo they should be in SOS or POC or some combo of both, you might get away with the spare outfit being some more common brand but, nah you can't [​IMG] [​IMG]

#11 Nidecker, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  12. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Sliding in rain is NEVER fun.
    Apart from the discomfort, the rain makes the snow unevenly sticky so 1 second you can be sliding along ok and the next you get pitched forward as you hit a wet patch the almost stops you dead.
    Although I think the worst part is the chairs are always sopping wet.

we have done enough rain days in the past to know we won't again.
    We head up to the resort, but if the freeze level is above the resort we head straight back to the accommodation for a cosy day inside watching DVDs.
    we always take a selection of movies & tv shows with us for the rain days.