1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What is your favourite ski run in NZ?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by windy, Jul 30, 2016.

1. windy

windy Hard Yards

I wanted to get some insider knowledge on the best runs/zones at the NZ field's.

From past experience I loved bullet at TC but I have gotten better since then so I'd be interested to see how it compares to my memory of it.

2. Roarkie

Roarkie Addicted

When I was over a few weeks ago, I found I enjoyed the runs around Valley View at Cardrona. Got away from the crowds at Whitestar and Captains Express as well. Shouldn't be busy now though, that was during school holidays.

skiingtk and windy like this.
  3. windy

windy Hard Yards

I'll have to check Valley view out. Last time I was at cardrona it was closed because there wasn't enough snow. Looks good this year though.

4. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Another vote for the Valley View area at Cardrona. I loved going super-fast down the Tail Race run. Probably my favourite run on the whole mountain.

skiingtk and Roarkie like this.
  5. col

col One of Us

Bluff Face at Porters on a powder day. Huge and steep as. Big Mama at Porters would be next

dr80 and Gimp like this.
  6. Roarkie

Roarkie Addicted

Tail-race was my favourite run in Valley View as well.

7. windy

windy Hard Yards

How does Big Mama compare to The Wall at round hill? I was thinking about checking Roundhill out if the have enough coverage on The Wall.

8. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They're similar. Big mamma is more consistently steep over it's length.. Round hill's slope is a much longer but the bottom couple of hundred metres mellow out considerably.

The difference with Porters vs Roundhill is porters has many more aspects to play with and is also located in a location that gets more consistent snowfall. As such, you're likely to find better snow at porters than roundhill which:
    1) is located in a snow-shadow; and
    2) the rope tow terrain faces west and hence suffers from frequent freeze-thaw cycles; and
    3) By being exposed to the west means being the predominate windward side of the ridge so gets stripped of snow during windy conditions, which occur regularly.

The above three points often lead to the rope tow being closed for most of a normal season.

But when it's on, it is spectacular:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dr80, Karicta, Froff Life and 2 others like this.
  9. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

If its in bounds i probably couldnt answer, i dont really care for much of it unless its got 30cm on it...

OOB id say descending off Single cone at remarks in any direction. Big vert, best views!

sbm likes this.
  10. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

hmm , lets see
    Organ pipes/ eagles beak
    triangle / mangaehuehu gl
    black magic 3rd, 4th bowls
    redskin bowl
    skyline
    limelight
    frontstage / backstage
    mackenzies mistake
    yankee/ amphitheatre
    haensli face

and the national dh home run

11. col

col One of Us

me sitting at the very top of Bluff Face last season. Would have to be one of the longest /steepest runs in NZ inside a resort boundary

[​IMG]

dr80, Dumph and windy like this.
  12. sbm

sbm One of Us

I only got to look at the Wall at Roundhill as it was closed...but man that is a HELL of a slope. Pics don't do it justice. If you scored it in pow the one day a year it's on, I don't think you'd listen to anything else here. Middle Basin at Craigieburn probably counts too if you make it up the tows, with the same caveat about conditions.

I have a fondness for Mt Hutt (probably as I've only been there on bluebird days!). Hubers Run is the best groomer on the south island I reckon. Towers into International is good.

Coronet Peak, Cardrona, some good stuff but not big enough. The Remarkables has some spectacular stuff, but the lifts stop short of the best you have to walk, skin or bus/shuttle for it.

I reckon I'll put my money down as the two best single *chairlifts* on the south island as Saddle Basin at TC and the 6 seater at Hutt.

windy likes this.
  13. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Speaking of shuttles. Friday was pretty clagged in abover 1700m at remarks, Homeward shuttle wasnt operating. But Outward had enough snow to easily ski into the new carpark 4. Carpark shuttle works just as well as the homeward shuttle. People were waiting at homeward but the shuttle didnt stop. pretty quick lap times. not many out there doing it! snow was decent!

ScottGN likes this.
  14. Dumph

Dumph Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Upper Gun Barrel at TC can be ok.

15. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

If I'm gonna hot-lap groomers it's the Hurdle/Shirtfront or Greengates/Lower Walkabout at Coronet, lapping those in under 2 minutes a a pop always keeps me entertained.

Struggle to get bored of the lower Bills' chutes at TB too.

In my mind, "runs" are groomers, otherwise it's more "lines". I dunno.

16. pedub

pedub One of Us

Yep. Raffils would be my favourite, perfect pitch for me. I would drop off before Pete's treat though, into saddle back or ego alley.

Since its actually marked, I have to say Ridge run at Ohau after my first visit. Towers / Shirt Front was also another nice couple to lap there.

There are some nice groomers on Rua too but I forget all the names. Yankee slalom rings a bell, and Muzza's on Turoa.

If its groomed I want a little less steep, if its ungroomed pow I want steep as I have the balls to ride! :)

17. pedub

pedub One of Us

Wow that looks sick! I have seen a few videos from here, such a massive slope. Riding the tow up must make it so much more rewarding.

windy likes this.
  18. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

that heritage tow is ride unto itself

just did the Homeward to the north end of the Remarks/ to the hairpin; nice ride and sno quality

19. windy

windy Hard Yards

I was at remarks on Thursday and was parked in car park 4. Went to the start of homeward to try and get back to the car but there was a bit thick could sitting on that face so I snowboarded back to the base and took the shuttle. Next time. It looked really fun.

20. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Snows great and its fall line.. Just hold on and let the mountain take you :)

21. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

210 into Middle Basin at Craigieburn with 60cm of fresh & first tracks was memorable.

22. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

The golden rivet

23. dustmonkey

dustmonkey Early Days

Owing to the fact that I haven't skied anywhere else in years - The Planets (skied from the top of Earth Bowl), at Rainbow, would currently be my favourite run. Not the longest of runs, but certainly steep, twisting and turning with plenty of different aspects, and some nice cornices. Skiing it in one hit, is a good test of fitness.

Backside of the planets can be pretty decent as well.

Donzah likes this.
  24. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Vertigo at Turoa

Black Magic at Whakapapa (from my younger days!)

T2 at Roundhill

25. dayzoff

dayzoff One of Us

Anything steep at Porters mid winter fresh snow. South Face Mt Hutt 1st tracks in fresh snow. Off the top of the Dobson ridge line, down the big face below the chair then take the drainage gully as far as it will take you. And this one, 600m vertical ridge line just outside the Porters boundary, would love to get it all the way down to the road.

DPS Driver, Dumphfish and Fozzie Bear like this.