What makes Thredbo "European Style"?

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I've heard this so many times, but honestly I can't understand or see why it is different from other resorts that don't say things like:
- unique European feeling,
- this is a true European style resort,
- as close to European skiing as it gets in the country,
- etc.

Could someone enlighten me please?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
compared to Falls, it has IMHO retained more of the austrian heritage. just little things - decor in some lodges and bars, menus in some places.

I think it is sad that Falls has tried to obliterate it's european roots. FFS there is an approved colour scheme now that effectively outlaws traditional alpine style

Kony_Abbott

Hard Yards
May 21, 2008
It's close to Canberra - a cosmopolitan and thriving young capital with a few birch trees. I assume some of our 'eau de sophistication' can be smelt in adjacent locations (like Thredbo).

HappyGirl

One of Us
Mar 12, 2009
Dos, do yourself a favour and buy yourself a copy of "Thredbo 50" by Jim Darby.

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
DOS, you should really move to Thredbo mate and live happily ever after. Your passion for the joint is certainly infectious!

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
It's a village which sits in a true alpine valley and looking up at Crackenback, it actually looks like a mountain, not a flat hill, plus it has good options all year round not just in winter.
It's also got long ski runs!

TC

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 7, 1999
Gulmarg Resort Kashmir Sydney
gareth_oau said:
there's a pizza shop there!
EvilGrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Why is being faux Euro a good thing?

Okay the town design of Perisher and to a lesser extent Hotham is appalling, it's like buildings were blown out of a giant shotgun and left where they landed. Perisher sprawls over a huge area and no attention has been paid to interconnection, access or amenity. The "vibe" of the place is hopeless.

Thredbo and Falls Creek have the same design of being built on a steep hillside, although Threders lacks the snow covered roads and ski in - ski out access that Falls Creek has. Both have scenic views of the mountains from most guest rooms.

In town design Buller has four main roads radiating from an identifiable town centre. It's comfortable and mostly functional, but some lodges are a long walk from the ski slopes. Perhaps it has this in common with European ski locations?

Despite being smaller resorts, Baw Baw, Ben Lomond and even Charlotte Pass also have their own vibe, but that vibe doesn't pretend to be Euro, instead each reflects the location they are in quite well.

Perhaps the best designed Australian ski town is the newest. Dinner Plain has the pubs, the pizza joints and 300 other buildings, all conforming to a style a friend of mine called "Aussie Chocolate Box". But it's not twee. DP's town design works because it doesn't attempt to ape any alien style, nor were any of the buildings built on the cheap, it has it's own very distinctive style which works well because it really reflects the location and heritage of the place it is built in.

In that sense Thredbo has a much more Australian vibe than anything else, and that is a good thing.
smile.gif

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Thredbo aint faux euro. Its just got that nice village feel u get in many euro joints. Snow covered roads? Nope, the real euro villages are in the bottom of valleys. Otherwise, what tw said.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Thredbo has lost a lot of it's European feel over the last 15 or so years. A lot of the very early settlement, architecture and styling was based on a European ski resort style, all the way to the furnishings as well. All the new development is a more modern minimal style (incidently, so is the newer Euro styling, according to *Wallpaper mag) and a lot of the old lodges and buildings have been redeveloped and lost a lot of that style. Thredbo still has the "Village feel" that many others have mentioned here. But the old style feel of the Village, restaurants like the Stubl etc has gone now.

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
smitty484 said:
Although not more than 200m of reliable snow

I'd challenge that in a heart beat, the proportion of days that the supertrail is open would be pretty high IMO

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
_im_ said:
And flat creek dont count

Funny story regarding the 'Flat Creek' quip...was at a ski related session the other week and on finding out I was from Falls Creek a person made the tired old Flat Creek comment. Her home mountain.....Baw Baw!!
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Nowada

Addicted
Jan 12, 2011
NSW South Coast
Snow conditions and lifting at Thredbo are nothing like Europe. Nice enough village, but limited access to the hill and a lift system layout that creates bottlenecks at the base.
To me, it's designed for people who's main concern is not being on the hill.
At Perisher you can start the Day at either Guthega, Bluecow, Smiggins or many base lifts at Perisher depending which lodge you chose to stay, so its easy to avoid any major queues.

Yes Thredbo has a vertical but as pointed out many times, its base and probably 30%+ of its ski terain is 300m below the natural snow line. It is also fairly 2 dimensional in that its runs mostly face one way, so you have no options getting out of the wind when it becomes a problem. So it actually needs the village to provide something else to do.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
Hully said:
_im_ said:
And flat creek dont count

Funny story regarding the 'Flat Creek' quip...was at a ski related session the other week and on finding out I was from Falls Creek a person made the tired old Flat Creek comment. Her home mountain.....Baw Baw!!
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Well you win since you have a home mountain.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
smitty484 said:
Perisher > thredbo purely on snow reliability alone

But Thredbo > Perisher whenever it's in good shape.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
currawong said:
compared to Falls, it has IMHO retained more of the austrian heritage. just little things - decor in some lodges and bars, menus in some places.

I think it is sad that Falls has tried to obliterate it's european roots. FFS there is an approved colour scheme now that effectively outlaws traditional alpine style
I'm not in architecture world and have very limited knewledge in architect. I can't tell which one looks European or not. I can only tell something like "this one looks modern", "this one looks cute like fairy tale", or "this one looks like old architecture."

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
gareth_oau said:
there's a pizza shop there!
Wow that makes Pyrmont really really European then. We have like 5-6 pizza shops around here in 500 metres radius!
laugh.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Ironic_Ivan said:
It's close to Canberra - a cosmopolitan and thriving young capital with a few birch trees. I assume some of our 'eau de sophistication' can be smelt in adjacent locations (like Thredbo).
I don't understand the connection here about proximity to Canberra. It doesn't explain why Thredbo is European. It rather says Canberra people go to Thredbo because they feel something at Thredbo which is in close proximity.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
HappyGirl said:
Dos, do yourself a favour and buy yourself a copy of "Thredbo 50" by Jim Darby.

skichanger said:
Huge European influence in the area with the workers who came out to build the Snowy Hydro scheme.
HappyGirl, I know about history of Thredbo and who built it, as skichanger stated above. But when people hear that a resort "gives" European feeling, it has to be explained in today's situation context where people can see and understand without having to dig through the history of the place. It's what remains today that gives the feeling, not the history. Otherwise, the feeling will be absent without the knowledge of the history.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Dos said:
Ironic_Ivan said:
I don't understand the connection here about proximity to Canberra. It doesn't explain why Thredbo is European. It rather says Canberra people go to Thredbo because they feel something at Thredbo which is in close proximity.
I think II's comment was tongue in cheek.
laugh.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
friely said:
DOS, you should really move to Thredbo mate and live happily ever after. Your passion for the joint is certainly infectious!
Believe me I wish I could. Honestly, I hate the complexity and confusions of city life. I could do with mountains and creeks and bush as long as I have the internet to connect to the outside world.

I had two weeks stay at Thredbo during late winter and another two weeks in summer. I was in heaven, I tell you. I wish it could be permanent.

Although, my main work doesn't require me to be stationed in Sydney, but other side works need me to be present here from times to times, hence cannot move away permanently. I wish...

The only down side that Thredbo can't beat Sydney in any way, and won't in a million years, is food -- Thai food to be precise.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Lady Mamabear said:
I think II's comment was tongue in cheek.
laugh.gif
Oh thank you, LM. English is another thing for me that is a long way to go, to learn, apart from skiing and snowboarding
tongue.gif

And I learnt another phrase today: tongue in cheek. Never used it before.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
_im_ said:
It has a nice village feel, unlike the other option. Vic doesnt count.
Mt Buller looks cuter to me. Actually, the village I like most among the ones I've visited is Dinner Plain. It looks really cute just like taken out of a fairy tail book
biggrin.gif

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
Dos said:
_im_ said:
Mt Buller looks cuter to me. Actually, the village I like most among the ones I've visited is Dinner Plain. It looks really cute just like taken out of a fairy tail book
biggrin.gif

yeah but vic doesn't count.
nah actually the stuff down there over 2000m is pretty good and counts

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
tele-whippet said:
It's a village which sits in a true alpine valley and looking up at Crackenback, it actually looks like a mountain, not a flat hill, plus it has good options all year round not just in winter.
It's also got long ski runs!
smitty484 said:
because it's the only resort in australia that feels like it has a real village.
_im_ said:
Thredbo aint faux euro. Its just got that nice village feel u get in many euro joints. Snow covered roads? Nope, the real euro villages are in the bottom of valleys. Otherwise, what tw said.
Oh you're right. I forgot about this point: sitting in a valley. I went googling for photos of European villages and most of them are actually located at the bottom of the valley surrounded by towering mountains.

As for feeling like a real village, I tried to think of all the resorts I went to during summer. Only Thredbo gives the impression of a village with something to do around while others give the feeling of tourist attractions where people go see and play and take photos eg Mt Buller, Falls Creek and Dinner Plain. Hotham at that time was like having an invisible "we're in maintenance mode" sign despite being open.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Bogong said:
Why is being faux Euro a good thing?

Okay the town design of Perisher and to a lesser extent Hotham is appalling, it's like buildings were blown out of a giant shotgun and left where they landed. Perisher sprawls over a huge area and no attention has been paid to interconnection, access or amenity. The "vibe" of the place is hopeless.
I agree. When I went to Perisher I was like "Are you serious these lodges and hotels are this far apart? Who is gonna stay over there long long into the mountain and very far from the road? And where exactly is village centre?"

Bogong said:
In town design Buller has four main roads radiating from an identifiable town centre. It's comfortable and mostly functional, but some lodges are a long walk from the ski slopes. Perhaps it has this in common with European ski locations?
Although it isn't a village in the middle of stunning mountains, I do like Buller village. Standing, actually parking, above the cloud feels very good. I've visited several mountains where I could stand above the cloud, but to actually driving through the cloud and park above it gives totally different experience.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Telemark Phat said:
BobGnarly said:
all the snobs in onesy's

rofl.gif

A better class of skier skis at Thredbo.
laugh.gif

Took me a few minutes to find out what "snobs in onesy" means. Now that I do I'm glad I'm learning to ski at Thredbo. Perhaps that will improve my "class" situation a little bit
rofl.gif

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Hey DOS seems like being a Ski.com member is really advancing your knowledge of Aussie colloquialism's!!

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
sastrugi said:
Thredbo has lost a lot of it's European feel over the last 15 or so years. A lot of the very early settlement, architecture and styling was based on a European ski resort style, all the way to the furnishings as well. All the new development is a more modern minimal style (incidently, so is the newer Euro styling, according to *Wallpaper mag) and a lot of the old lodges and buildings have been redeveloped and lost a lot of that style. Thredbo still has the "Village feel" that many others have mentioned here. But the old style feel of the Village, restaurants like the Stubl etc has gone now.
To be honest, I like modern kinds of buildings -- made of concrete, steal and glass. Those building made of wood aren't appealing much in my opinion.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Nowada said:
Snow conditions and lifting at Thredbo are nothing like Europe. Nice enough village, but limited access to the hill and a lift system layout that creates bottlenecks at the base.
To me, it's designed for people who's main concern is not being on the hill.
At Perisher you can start the Day at either Guthega, Bluecow, Smiggins or many base lifts at Perisher depending which lodge you chose to stay, so its easy to avoid any major queues.

Yes Thredbo has a vertical but as pointed out many times, its base and probably 30%+ of its ski terain is 300m below the natural snow line. It is also fairly 2 dimensional in that its runs mostly face one way, so you have no options getting out of the wind when it becomes a problem. So it actually needs the village to provide something else to do.
Being centrallised is a good thing for me. If I was to design a resort, terrain permitting I'd put all the access lifts in close proximity to each other, pointing outward like your fingers and cut trails that terminate at this one central area from all directions. This would allow all riders to choose which lift to get on next and it'd spread the load across all access lifts. Of course, we need enough space in order to prevent or minimise bottle neck.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
_im_ said:
Dos said:
_im_ said:
biggrin.gif

yeah but vic doesn't count.
nah actually the stuff down there over 2000m is pretty good and counts
I'm beaten
laugh.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass