What season pass to get for Honshu?

Bruuuueeeeyyy

First Runs
Sep 26, 2019
Hey there,

I've just moved to Tokyo and am counting down the days till the white stuff starts falling from the skies.

I'm looking to buy a season pass but am going round in circles of which group of mountains to go for. Myoko, Nozawa, Hakuba? So far I'm favouring Myoko but was hoping to hear some for and against points on these places.

I'll be going up to the mountains three times a month, for 3-4 days at a time midweek. Would love to be up there all season, but I've already spent 5 months away from my wife this year so I'll have to keep travelling back to Tokyo to see her.

I've done 5 seasons and Whistler and have boarded over alot of the U.S., NZ, Hokkaido and Hakuba. So yeah, pretty experienced. Love tree runs.

There's only 4 days left till all the season passes go up in price so I've got to make a snap decision. Any info will be awesome.

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Definitely Hakuba > Myoko if you have done 5 seasons at Whistler. Way better terrain.

However... I bumped into a chap with a combined pass for Kagura/Neaba and Hakkaisan last year. Must have been some sort of prince deal. I was pretty jelly. Plenty of other resorts in the Yuzawa area too, and it's an easy trip from Tokyo.

Bruuuueeeeyyy

First Runs
Sep 26, 2019
Cheers fellas.

I was just doing some more reading on Nozawa and Shiga and it said off-piste riding is not allowed. Is this the case? Can you ride off-piste in Myoko?

What I forgot to mention was I also need somewhere that has a variety of options for cheap accommo.

Why do you both say Hakuba straight off the bat?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Hey there,

I've just moved to Tokyo and am counting down the days till the white stuff starts falling from the skies.

I'm looking to buy a season pass but am going round in circles of which group of mountains to go for. Myoko, Nozawa, Hakuba? So far I'm favouring Myoko but was hoping to hear some for and against points on these places.

I'll be going up to the mountains three times a month, for 3-4 days at a time midweek. Would love to be up there all season, but I've already spent 5 months away from my wife this year so I'll have to keep travelling back to Tokyo to see her.

I've done 5 seasons and Whistler and have boarded over alot of the U.S., NZ, Hokkaido and Hakuba. So yeah, pretty experienced. Love tree runs.

There's only 4 days left till all the season passes go up in price so I've got to make a snap decision. Any info will be awesome.
If you're going up to the mountains three times a month, for 3-4 days at a time midweek, I honestly wouldn't bother with a season pass.
Lift passes are cheap enough as it is, particularly with discount coupons. Getting a season pass will restrict you to just one area, when there are heaps of good places out there to explore.
I live in Yokohama, and never bother with a season pass.

How many days have you spent in Hakuba?

Bruuuueeeeyyy

First Runs
Sep 26, 2019
If you're going up to the mountains three times a month, for 3-4 days at a time midweek, I honestly wouldn't bother with a season pass.
Lift passes are cheap enough as it is, particularly with discount coupons. Getting a season pass will restrict you to just one area, when there are heaps of good places out there to explore.
I live in Yokohama, and never bother with a season pass.

How many days have you spent in Hakuba?

Where do you get these discount coupons?

I spent 2 weeks in Hakuba but it was early March and conditions weren't great.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Where do you get these discount coupons?

I spent 2 weeks in Hakuba but it was early March and conditions weren't great.
Well, since you live in Tokyo, I can SHOW you sometime!!! ;)
There's also an annual coupon thread here, which will kick off soon.

How long have you been in Tokyo? Just reading your post, my guess is that your wife has the job in Tokyo, and you'll be riding snow midweek while she works?

Bruuuueeeeyyy

First Runs
Sep 26, 2019
Well, since you live in Tokyo, I can SHOW you sometime!!! ;)
There's also an annual coupon thread here, which will kick off soon.

How long have you been in Tokyo? Just reading your post, my guess is that your wife has the job in Tokyo, and you'll be riding snow midweek while she works?

Yeah awesome. That'd be great, I do like a good deal. Thanks

I've been here 9 weeks now. Yeah she's got the job and I'm on a spouse visa. Might try and pick up some part time work before the season, but if I don't I'll just wait till after the season. Just going to school at the moment, trying to learn Japanese.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Cheers fellas.

I was just doing some more reading on Nozawa and Shiga and it said off-piste riding is not allowed. Is this the case? Can you ride off-piste in Myoko?

What I forgot to mention was I also need somewhere that has a variety of options for cheap accommo.
Off piste is a relative term.... often it snows so much that you can ride deep snow on the runs.
And then you need to learn the best places to go on the day.... Hakuba is a classic case for this.... a lot of people go to the wrong places at Hakuba ;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass