1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What to do at Falls if you don't ski? (especially indoors)

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Powderhound29, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Powderhound29

Powderhound29 Hard Yards

Heading up to Falls for a long weekend this week with the family. We are staying off mountain. I'm taking my 8yo daughter for her first ski with lifts (we've done cross country the last two seasons). My wife isn't interested in skiing, and I don't trust my 4yo son on skiis as yet :)

So my question is, what family things are there to do at Falls Creek if you don't actually ski? I see there is a Snowplay Park in the village bowl which we will probably check out (is it operational?) but what about indoor options if the weather turns ordinary, and you don't want to be outside all day? I can't really find much information about things such as kids play areas, cinemas, gyms, pools etc.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I don't know about your wife, but what's the problem with the 4 year old? Put him into ski school and see what happens.

3. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This in spades. They know what they're doing and don't push or rush the kids.

And the thing to do if you can't ski is learn...

;)

:D

4. cold wombat

FWIW, plenty of threads in the past about "how young can kids ski". Will see if I can dig some up.

5. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

In my total non-expert opinion (I'm not a parent nor a regular carer of young children), I would think four is a great age to be starting your son off in ski school - he could just do a half-day and your wife could pick him up and spend the afternoon with him while you are skiing with your daughter.

As for indoor activities, I don't believe there is a cinema or gym anywhere. There is a day spa as part of the QT complex, I think - from memory it is downstairs underneath the Stingrays cafe. I'm sure there are other day spa/massage options around. There is a tiny museum at the bottom of the Last Hoot, but I don't know how good it is. Once you arrive at FC, collect a village guide and the 'What's On' magazine which will give you a good overview on what's around.

I do recommend a walk out to Rocky Valley dam following the aquaduct if the weather's nice - the scenery is pretty speccy and would look great with some snow around the place!

6. raspberry

raspberry First Runs

Just returned from FC and I wasn't skiing for medical reasons, just killing my time waiting for my hubby and daughter. To be honest I wasn't looking for entertainment much, so was mostly spending time between the Stingray cafe and Cloud 9 cafe with my tea and my book (but I've got no younger kids to entertain). There is a spa underneath Stingray indeed, but again, I couldn't use it for medical reasons so wasn't interested.

There is a tobogganing area somewhere near overnight carparks, we didn't have time to check it out. Also a snow tubing activity in the Bowl (same, didn't try). They also have evening entertainment most nights (street party on Tuesdays, night skiing on Wed, fireworks on Thu etc.)

To be very honest, not that much to do on the mountain except for walking, snowplay and eating. If you are staying off mountain, maybe it's worth exploring the area down there.

Also, I know you didn't ask for any advice but I totally agree with those saying 4 yo is the perfect age to start skiing. My daughter is now 6 and I really regret not starting her two years ago (started last year at 5, she is totally hooked up now). Ski school is on top of the mountain and your wife can accompany your son on the lift if she wants, no lift pass needed, just tell the attendants she's taking the kid for his lessons. I did just that and loved watching all those little daredevils 3yo and older.

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

4yo = go skiing. He might surprise you.

8. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Hate to be boring, but 4 is a terrific age to start ski school, my kids attended ski school for full days from the age of 3. The little ones have a fantastic space at Cloud 9, with the magic carpet right outside the door. The instructors make it fun and the kids go ahead by leaps and bounds.

There use to be a cinema in Freauf village, Cinema Glo, is it still there @currawong @Hully

If not Mount Beauty is a small town with a lake, a river, kid's park. I would suggest hiring a couple of bikes and your wife could take your son over to the lake. Still think he'd prefer skiing though.

9. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

yep 4 year old - perfect for skiing

10. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There's a gym in the QT complex, open to the public on a casual basis. $20 single visit or $45/week
    http://www.fallscreek.com.au/Gym

PS Our youngest started at 3yo in snowclub, just sayin

11. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Depending on the kid (and your budget) 4 could be the age to start skiing. There is a special snowboard program for 3-5 year olds.

Tobaganning - Park at windy corner (quick walk up to wombats ramble for skiers) or get the shuttle bus there from near gully or falls express.
    Ride gully chair for free then walk up to the aquaduct and walk along a lovely quiet flat path.
    I don't think tube is running yet but snow play park should be. Late tue afternoon is "Street party" - sounds lame to me but I'm not the target audience, and never been.
    Pete the snow Dragon show 5pm sat.

If 4yo does ski, wife might enjoy a snow mobile tour.

Stay in mt beauty some days. Walk around the pondage. Hire bikes and ride to Pebble beach. You get the bus and leave the car so your wife can go to wandiligong maze and bright.

12. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Positive note : think of the money you'll save:p

13. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

14. Powderhound29

Powderhound29 Hard Yards

Thanks for all the encouragement and responses!

We are staying in Tawonga South, and love looking around Mt Beauty, so that is fine.

Its more of a cost-benefit issue at this point in time, where for the time spent on mountain for the 4yo (1 or 2 days at most this season) and the substantial $$$ outlay, it probably doesn't make sense to get the little one skiing just yet. He had a go on Queens birthday weekend in fabulous conditions, and he really wasn't any good. We do have him rollerblading around the house though!

I have gotten the 8yo to the point over the last two years where she is pretty decent on green runs (without ever riding the lifts - skiing at Buffalo and Falls Nordic Bowl area), so now we are progressing to some lessons and lifts which should get her really up to speed!

My wife has probably done about 15 days skiing, but doesn't get the enjoyment out of it to warrant the lift pass cost. So it was more of a question of if there were any "hidden" indoor / non-snow activities at Falls Creek to do that aren't actively advertised on the official website.

Especially since we will probably hang around until 5pm on Friday / Saturday to watch the Sled Dog race!

15. currawong

Just realised you were emphasizing indoor activities. Really not much, especially with a 4 year old in tow. Without a 4YO it is pretty much cafes and day spa. Even in Mt Beauty there's not a lot of indoor activities - cafes, a few shops, massage etc

Falls and Mt Beauty are pretty outdoors sort of places, even if that is gentle walks or rides.

There is a cinema in Bright, about 30 mins from Mt Beauty but I think it is art house, probably nothing for kids.

16. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

TBH if you're not into snowsports and things related on mountain I would suggest not going up the hill at all. It really can be a boring place if not being actively involved. Stay off mountain, go for walks and enjoy the scenery. It's not everyones cup of tea and no amount of persuasion will help in any way. I have a partner like that. It works in my favour.

silverwitch likes this.
  17. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This. I've introduced a lot of people to snowshoeing. Many adults who don't have kids and want to escape the crowds at LM, but don't want to ski for whatever reason. Inevitably, they really love it, and come back for more, bringing their friends. The sport is really growing.

18. Ziggy

I did it 25 years ago at Falls when organised by the Ranger. Was blown away by the beauty of the Plains under snow & went back the next day to learn to ski XC.

19. currawong

Not against snow shoeing, just a doubt that it would be good with a 4YO, especially if you hadn't done it before

20. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I agree, dont go up to the hill at all. She will be bored. Take a trip to Bright. The cinema has been redone and shows new release movies. It's not cheap though. There is also the Bright chocoate factory and just the town itself is pleasent.

BobGnarly likes this.
  21. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Hop on a skidoo tour, helicopter or snow bikes. Might have to put 4yo into snowclub - Nazomi will look after the little tyke. As others suggested, 1/2 day but full day is fine with them.

22. Ziggy

& Rocky Valley ski hire rents out bikes - maybe they have a tandem.

There's a playground near the kinder. There's a library. There's some scenic drives.

Just throwing ideas up. What the OPer does with them .....

23. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

both my kids started ski school when they were 3 and that was with encouragement and advice from fellow forum members. They loved it , but if your little ones not skiing surely he would love to make snowmen , go tobogganing and just play in the snow . My son even loves playing with his Lttle falls creek snowmobile that we got from shop up there . He plays with that in the snow after his days skiing . Guess it depends on your wife & how keen she is on the snow . I absolutely love Falls Creek and think it's so beautiful , there is so much beauty to enjoy . But then the whole surrounding area is beautiful - I think the list is endless of things you could see and enjoy around the place

Apresski likes this.
  24. currawong

Do you know about the coffee club deal? It was designed to get mums skiing again. If you have a kid in ski school for the day then you can get the deal where you have a cuppa together, a group lesson and then a lift ticket for the rest of the day - all for the price of the lesson. Not for everyone, but a lot of mums have taken up the offer.

silverwitch and Ziggy like this.
  25. Apresski

I wish this was around when my kids were young.

26. Ziggy

I guess every family has to work out a modus vivendi for a day at the snow.
    Mine, as the only parent, was to buy a lift ticket for the 3 kids - a 3 to 4 y.o. through to a young teen - and do things together. The keys to a happy time were variety and regular breaks to eat and rest.
    So we'd start with some sliding (and poma loading practice for the littlie - didn't that take time!) and switch to the toboggan run. Lunch at Nordic bowl would lead the kids into making snow fairies and castles. I'd take the little one down Wombat Ramble, she'd be skiing between my legs while I bent over her holding the poles flat for her to hang onto (hard work!) while the older ones would do some laps on their own.
    Little ones especially get tired quickly in the snow so a good supply of snacks is needed.
    When we were back in the car driving off the mountain no more than 5 minutes would pass before they were all asleep.

silverwitch likes this.
  27. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I hired some out on Sunday to a 3 yr old. MSR Tykers. (Parents were insistent and novices.) They said she handled them well but was slow. They carried her 3/4 of the way, but she managed the other 1/4 on her own.

28. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Who was teaching him? You generally get what you pay for.

Kano likes this.
  29. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Both my children started skiing young at ages 4 and 6- I never thought I needed to get them up to speed- just wanted to them to know how to stop and be safe! :eek:
    They/ we skied because it was fun and played in the snow because it was fun!!:)
    I am just wondering why do parents want their kids to be good enough to ski with them- surely we just ski with our kids where they can ski because its fun to do things together where everyone has fun! I have seen so many parents push their children and in the end the child hates the activity!:(
    The funny thing is both my daughters now surpass me with both ability and style....but we still love it when we ski together as a family and I don't care where, what their ability is or if its a green or blue run- we just ski because its fun! :)
    The above is not a criticism just an observation and reflection....

wannaski and LMB like this.
  30. Kano

Kano Hard Yards

The only way to get "good" is to get out there! As for your +1, as others have said... Bright is beautiful!

31. cold wombat

Ski school for toddlers is about play, not lessons (from the kids POV). The fact that they're learning to ski is incidental. When it stops being fun play they go back inside. The kids don't have the same agenda as the parents.

And I'd *never* give lessons to family. Not just because I'm not a ski instructor either.

wannaski, LMB and Kano like this.
  32. Apresski

Learning to ride a poma is hard for adults too, especially the old Panorama poma that used to take you off your feet.

33. Kano

Kano Hard Yards

^^ Should have been clearer in my post... Only with a professional instructor!!!

34. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

^^ This
    ^^ And this, the Snowclub team is awesome ;)

35. Ziggy

Yes. But once you get the knack ....
    I love the fast one at Charlottes that you have to ride like it's a bronco, with one arm out for balance :D

36. Apresski

Haven't tried that one, but I quite like Pomas now, but they were the devil when I was first learning to ski.

37. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That still happens to me :( International Poma is the worst for it. Forget about Double Black runs, ride Australia's only Triple Black Poma.
    Back at the last Falls Creek SIC, SideStreet was on the poma in front of me at Lakeside and saw me get lifted. She almost fell off from laughing. Bloody tall people think it's so funny!!!!!!!!! :tany:;)

They are not the easiest thing to ride if you have stumpy legs and are on a board LOL

wannaski and Farkle Minkus like this.
  38. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I have fond memories of the Falls Creek pomas. I used to think they were great fun.

39. Ziggy

I love drag lifts.
    Inter can still get you airborne over the aqueduct.

40. Apresski

I have no idea how you ride any lift on a board!. International can be a bit of a trial when it goes around a corner, I remember travelling behind my son and he was taken off the ground (secretly I think he made sure of this).

41. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

:thumbs:

Always enjoy the air moment at the corner too

42. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As long as the base of it doesn't get out of place on the turn. Happened once and being airborn and in extreme agony is no fun. Very very careful since.

43. currawong

the really wild poma ride was at buller. inter at full speed was a doddle by comparison. long ago there was a summit access poma at buller (more or less where ABOM Express is now) except that when you got off at the top, it didn't stop. It kept going down into Howqua to what is now bottom of Kofflers T. The howqua poma was the name of that same tow in the reverse direction. it was violent.

44. Powderhound29

Powderhound29 Hard Yards

Probably chose some bad words there in "up to speed". I agree in exactly all that you said. What I probably meant to say was I want to get them some professional instruction so that I don't teach them my bad habits from the start! I've skiied at Falls for over 20 years, but the expense (with a young family, reduced income, etc) has meant that over the past 7 years I've purely gone backcountry in the High Plains, snow camping and skiing Nelse, The Jaithmathangs, and Fainters.

Over the last two years I've taken the kids out for about about 6 snow/ski days, carefully choosing days of nice weather, and they ABSOLUTELY love it. I've taught them on small hills with no lifts where I had to drag them back up to the top! So this weekend will be the first resort ski for me at Falls in absolutely ages. And yep - I will be only skiing where the daughter wants to ski, probably Tom Thumb and Wombats all day! It is after all spending the day with her that is the important thing.

The question I posed though was there anything else to do other than be outdoors, not really when children should start skiing. We camp at Pretty Valley and Cope hut all the time, so we know (and love) the scenery well. It is my wife's most favorite spot in the whole world! However, I really don't know Falls Creek village at all, and so the question was aimed at if there were any "hidden" indoor things to do if the weather turns bad and you don't want to be outside. But I guess that everyone has answered my question, so thanks for all the responses :)

silverwitch likes this.
  45. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Hey Powderhound, sounds like you have been doing a great job with the kids and you all have been having fun already! I understand It's not cheap to put kids into ski school :eek:. I tried to keep price under control in other ways by buying second hand gear, take our own food, hot chocolate, etc. Ski school was such a great time for my girls, they made holidays so much fun for them both and they really were looked after so well in all weather situations.
    I agree...there is not much to do at ski resorts for non skiers that's relatively cheap except some places like Thredbo etc where they have indoor pools etc. so maybe take lots of board games, have good snow shoes for non skiers so they can walk around and play in the snow- for free! Sound like you know exactly what to do! :thumbs::thumbs: Hope you all have a great experience together at the snow. :)

46. Apresski

The cost of skiing for a family in Australia is prohibitive, getting your kids comfortable, confident and excited about the snow is important if it is your major interest. Budgeting for your children's first on snow experiences is important.

silverwitch likes this.
  47. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I came across this one in today's email: Snowplay Park

Looks like fun to moi.

silverwitch likes this.
  48. Powderhound29

Powderhound29 Hard Yards

We heard that Snowpark was pretty fun for the kids, (I got the email as well), so we rocked up on Friday to the session, except there was no one about. Had to ask various Falls services people before being told that due to staffing issues, it would not run. Pretty lame excuse, and not very happy, especially after just advertising it in emails the day before.

49. Powderhound29

Powderhound29 Hard Yards

My initial question was pretty prophetic - concerning what indoor activities are there at Falls Creek to do, because Saturday turned out to be absolutely horrible with wind and rain all day. And yeah - there is nothing to do indoors on mountain, so we went to the Bright Brewery to have a few "samplers" instead :)

Sadie likes this.
  50. Powderhound29

Powderhound29 Hard Yards

And just to wrap up, Friday was an absolutely stunning day of skiing. Snow on Sun Valley side was exceptional. Some very small areas of ice, but really dry snow across all runs. I reckon Big Dipper on Ruined Castle was the pick.

The highlight though was my 8yo daughters first day of resort skiing. We were learning on Tom Thumb in the morning, and she was having trouble in linking snowplough turns. She was booked into a lunchtime lesson, so I went off for a couple of hours. Upon returning the tremendous Falls instructor Anna had my daughter linking turns through gates setup with skipoles. I could not believe it! My daughter then proceeded to ski with me down Wombats Ramble slowly, but confidently with nice big snowplough turns. I was really amazed at the great job the instructor had down in only 2 hours of instruction. So a big thanks to Anna!

Ziggy, Sadie, currawong and 3 others like this.