What was your first bush walk ?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
:eek: So you wandered away from home? Camp? Your parents must have been beside themselves! Do you remember it? And what's the deal with the dingo?

Wandered away from home following our dingo. Wasn't found until the next day. I remember he wanted to show me something up the hill.

Can vaguely remember being found. Still want another dingo.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Rightly so. UXO.
My Late Father had a worry attack about most things regarding his two sons, including me travelling the world solo as an adult.
Just visiting him in Pakistan , a place known for its insane urban pollution , crazy drivers and deranged suicide bombers would have been cause for concern but he had lived there so long that he had become inured to such menaces and became quite exercised when I went to neighbouring Iran which is quite safe and orderly in comparison with Pakistan.

Last edited:
Reactions: crackson

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
My Late Father had a worry attack about most things regarding his two sons, including me travelling the world solo as an adult.
Just visiting him Pakistan , a place known for its insane urban pollution , crazy drivers and deranged suicide bombers would have been cause for concern but he had lived there so long that he had become inured to such menaces and became quite exercised when I went to neighbouring Iran which is quite safe and orderly in comparison to Pakistan.
Apart from the region around Nanga Parbat I felt way safer travelling Muslim Pakistan than mixed religion India.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
As young kids we would often have family holidays in the Grampians going on day walks. Plenty of similar walking in scouts but first "bushwalk" as such was one Easter at about age 15 when my father organised a group of his mates + kids and we attempted a 5 day walk from Howitt to Hotham on the the Alpine Walking Track. It was a very dry year and we pulled the pin at Speculation and walked back out to Stirling along the roads. In hindsight I'm sometimes amazed I ever went walking again, such was the torture of walking on 4WD tracks in hot weather with little water.

Reactions: coolair
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Believe it or not my first overnight pack carry hike was in the Warby Ranges. I was about 34 years of age!. I had done plenty of day walks before, since I could remember including a high school trip up St. Mary's peak in the Flinders Ranges. I didn't take any drinking water :-0 and the teachers did not suggest that taking water would be a good idea.
Rainy day and lockdown at my place so looking at some older posts, did this trip inspire you to take heaps of stuff on your adventures.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Swan Lake to Nelson with an overnight camp at Lake Monibeong. Smidge under 20km each day along Discovery Bay beach, 13yo, boarding school team building initiative.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Some time in the middle of last century...... lucky enough to live a coupe of doors away from a Dutch couple who in addition to their own children had a couple of Aboriginal children (sadly stolen generation but landed in a good family). Every Sunday it was off into the Royal National Park or Heathcote State Park (as it was then) for walks to the various pool and explore the Aboriginal carvings. Beat the hell out of going to church or Sunday school.

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
My Joey Sea Scout did an "adventurous" journey today as part of their Scouting Peak Award. Not a hard hike (though hard enough with 4-8 year old boys in the rain). Good day, home & warm now.

To some extent they drive it themselves (did teach how to use google earth, create a track file, write a pack / plan list) ... but of course plenty of dad influence else they'd never get past the front door with 2 socks on let alone be setup for a hike :)

Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1001.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1002.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1004.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1007.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1009.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1010.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1013.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1017.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1019.jpg
Adventurous-Journey-Joeys--1020.jpg

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
My Joey Scout did an "adventuruous" journey today as part of their Scouting Peak Award. Not a hard hike (though hard enough with 4-8 year old boys in the rain). Good day, home & warm now.

To some extent they drive it themselves (did teach how to use google earth, create a track file, write a pack / plan list) ... but of course plenty of dad influence else they'd never get past the front door with 2 socks on let alone be setup for a hike :)

Raincoats, socks/shoes and water? Luxury. Back in my day... LOL;)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
My first solo multi night pack carry trip in green season was the S.E. circuit of The Prom. 36 kms over 3 nights. I camped at Sealer's cove/Refuge Cove/ Little waterloo bay and then walked out .
It was not busy at all. Everyone had gone back to school or work .
I took two whole bottles of methylated spirits because I had no idea how much fuel the trangier would need :-0.
That would last me ten nights now even in the snow! I also took glass jars of pesto and pasta sauce for my pasta dinners.
My pack was utter crap and hurt my shoulders.
My sleeping mat was no better than a newspaper in terms of comfort and insulation.
I remember it was February and hot. I may not have even taken a sleeping bag. I think I just took a huge woolen Pakistani shawl!.
I can't remember what my tent was like but it was not very flash.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
my mother was born in Blackheath and I spent my first 5½ years there
by the time we left I had been hiking all over the Blue Mountains, with more to come over subsequent visits
Perry’s Lookdown to Blue Gum Forest then back up via Evans Lookout is my enduring memory, plus Hanging Rock - not the movie one - and the Mt Wilson area
we also spent a lot of time in Megalong Valley, though that’s not really hiking

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
My Joey Sea Scout did an "adventurous" journey today as part of their Scouting Peak Award. Not a hard hike (though hard enough with 4-8 year old boys in the rain). Good day, home & warm now.

Great to see another generation getting an intro to the outdoor life, when I started out a pair of Batascout school shoes with the compass in the heel was hi tech, not that I would have known how to use it.

Reactions: Darb

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Does roaming the creek lines of local bush reserves for kms on end as a kid count? Catching tadpoles, building forts, racing sticks and generally just exploring.

If not I seem to remember climbing Mt Kiera one night when living on campus at Wollongong University. There may have been a few drinks had beforehand.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
You want old? The first bushwalk I remember was in Balgowlah! It was still bushland in those days. Saw me first snake (yellow bellied black). Most impressed.
my late mother lived in Mosman near Balmoral Beach
the year before she died we found a dead black snake in her backyard
that was 2015
you don't need much bush
brush turkeys were rampant too

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Does roaming the creek lines of local bush reserves for kms on end as a kid count? Catching tadpoles, building forts, racing sticks and generally just exploring.

If not I seem to remember climbing Mt Kiera one night when living on campus at Wollongong University. There may have been a few drinks had beforehand.
Proper childhood

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
A few wanderings with the family around Buffalo Plateau and the Grampians with school . I consider my first real walk to be Bungalow Spur to Feathertop overnighting at MUMC Hut solo when I was 13. Staircase Spur to Bogong Summit Hut was next and many more followed.

canestocks

One of Us
May 21, 2012
Armidale
A few wanderings with Scouts and then a real walk in Venturers. Kiandra -Tabletop- Boltons Hill -Happys Gorge - Scotch Gully - Nine Mile - Broken Dam - Four mile - Eucumbene. Paddy's Kiandra sew through bag, Flinders Range H frame no hip belt, army boots and some bloody big blisters. But I loved it!

CaptainC

Addicted
Jun 15, 2005
Melbourne
First day hike with scouts, Seymour to Tallarook. Travelled from Melbourne by train. Mostly through farmland. Did overnight hikes with scouts around Gilwell Park in the the Dandenongs. Did one to Kurth Kiln I remember. First proper bush trip was with my Dad and brother to the Lighthouse at Wilsons Prom, camping at Roaring Meg Creek. Had a fire back in those days. Like canestocks I had a Flinders Ranges Venturer pack and Paddymade Kiandra sleeping bag.

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
First bushwalk of any kind, ever: 1975, Year 12 high school hike along the south coast through Fitzgerald River National Park from Point Anne to Hopetoun, about 65km over 5 days with side trips to climb a couple of peaks along the way. About 30 kids and half a dozen teachers, with external frame torture packs, crappy single-skin a-frame tents and Vesta packs. It was August. The second night it rained a biblical flood and our tents leaked like sieves. Overall, still one of the high points of my life.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass