Question What weather apps are people using for Oz alpine

axellotta

Addicted
Sep 28, 2015
Hi all, so after being caught out quite a few times using the basic BOM forecast (mostly cancelling planned trips because of poor weather, only to learn weather was fine) I was wondering if others have any suggestions for more accurate forecast options specifically for the Australian alpine?

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
BOM is quintessentially the best source of weather information for the Aus Alpine District.
It's accuracy is second to none.

However, the local impacts determine the variability in what BoM puts on the table.
If you're factoring in, only the 'daily forecast' it won't help you in the mesoscale impacts of a specific resort, as such.

As many will attest, right here is the best Aus Alpine Weather resource. Period.

It pays to know the resorts/location influence though. Weatherzone is a good resource but by in large reiterates what BoM is suggesting (keeping it general for the general locations).

I am guessing you look for winds impacting lift windhold? What else? And for what location?

Reactions: nfip

axellotta

Addicted
Sep 28, 2015
BOM is quintessentially the best source of weather information for the Aus Alpine District.
It's accuracy is second to none.

However, the local impacts determine the variability in what BoM puts on the table.
If you're factoring in, only the 'daily forecast' it won't help you in the mesoscale impacts of a specific resort, as such.

As many will attest, right here is the best Aus Alpine Weather resource. Period.

It pays to know the resorts/location influence though. Weatherzone is a good resource but by in large reiterates what BoM is suggesting (keeping it general for the general locations).

I am guessing you look for winds impacting lift windhold? What else? And for what location?
I'm only messing around in the backcountry so I'm more interested in temp (and rain), wind is useful but not imperative. Most of my trips are around the BHP.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Weatherzone is a good resource but by in large reiterates what BoM is suggesting (keeping it general for the general locations).
That's true to a point, but the mets there actually do unique forecasts for the WZ snow page, with snowline (800m for Monday!) and other bits of info which is different to BoM.

*Disclosure: as some of you know I do media work for them

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
all the above good advice . imo.
For mine I go to WZ for starters.
look at the precip then 850 temps and winds in EC and AXS modelling.
back check it with BOM Alpine for the 3 dayer forecasts
Often find myself looking at BSCH for their (GFS) precip & wind modelling is usually on the money. again that 3(4) day rule applies.

Last edited:
Reactions: POW Hungry

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
That's true to a point, but the mets there actually do unique forecasts for the WZ snow page, with snowline (800m for Monday!) and other bits of info which is different to BoM.

*Disclosure: as some of you know I do media work for them
Very true.
But I'd argue they get all their finer details from here ;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I'm only messing around in the backcountry so I'm more interested in temp (and rain), wind is useful but not imperative. Most of my trips are around the BHP.
I know many who rely on BOM for Backcountry forecasts, but yeah, nah. It 'aint gonna cut the mustard for the BHP.

As CC said above YrNo does has some impressive, easy to read (Meteogram)and highly accurate forecasts. Jane Bunn is a really good resource too:

If you're serious about going backo, and overnighting etc. Weatherzone Layers is worth its weight in gold (behind paywall). This allows you to access super High Res models like Access-C for the alps, so it's utter-confidence for me in the Backcountry IMO.

Windy is another ripper app-based tool for backcountry - the zoom-in to topo maps is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: nfip and Donza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass