What will be open opening weekend?

kasper

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2003
What will be open opening weekend?

What do you think will be open at each resort? Looks good for most resorts to have the 'basics' open ie. Bourke st, Drovers, Big D, etc...anything else?

Azz

One of Us
Jun 16, 2006
East Gippsland, Victoria
Re: What will be open opening weekend?

Yeah, Big d at Hotham, was up there today, needs a little more, a night or twos snow making will just fill the bottom some more.

Top half was all there.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

the_guru

One of Us
May 30, 2002
On Location!

Penguin Azz said:
Yeah, Big d at Hotham, was up there today, needs a little more, a night or twos snow making will just fill the bottom some more.

Top half was all there.
Snow making should start tomorrow.
Opening weekend, maybe? Big D, Summit perhaps Village ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Falls Fanatic

Hard Yards
May 9, 2004
Hawthorn

Hopefully, Tom Thumb, Drovers, Towers @ Falls.
smile.gif

jase_80

First Runs
Jul 20, 2005
SYDNEY

carvit said:
V8 and FV

:thumbs:
You reckon? they need to fire up more snowmaking for that to happen... looking patchy at PB.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Falls Fanatic said:
smile.gif
Maybe Wombats too, if they make good use of the snowmaking that's installed so far & push some further down the run.

Jindysnowjunkies

First Runs
Jun 10, 2006
NSW

Urrggh... PB is not looking too promising for opening day.. done first run at FV on Saturday just gone and she was fairly damn patchy then let alone checking the cam view today! Took a drive around past Smigs, BC & Guthega and they are all looking just as brown!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

My guess is FV is going to be an antz nest on opening day as not much else will be on offer due to lack of snow on the horizon and the warm temps burning our white stuff through the day.. looks like those nasty highs we were coping last year are still shattering our prayers to the snow gods.
I may just have to take off to Hotham for the long weekend as she is looking pretty damn tidy at the present!

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

Wombats will not be a high priority at the moment snowmaking efforts are concentrated on Tom Thumb, Towers and Drovers with some of Ruined Castle when its colder up there than the sun valley area.

Looking at the cams and snow in town I suspect we will see at least one main run open if conditions remain good this week.

the_guru

One of Us
May 30, 2002
On Location!

Looks like a rough groom has been done of the Summit and the Drift. I would say Hotham will have as much open as last year??

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com

CarveMan said:
Exactly! But if anyone makes it into some boots and something slidey, we have Bourke St & Baldy confirmed to open (and maybe more). And as an added pre-inebriation bonus, BB1 & 2 will be open for FREE on Friday. :cheers:

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW

jt-ski said:
PB may have Mitchell T open. No V8 though.
Think your right looking at cams.

Merritts maybe a chance at Thredbo. Supertrail to midstation perhaps....

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

main street said:
Falls Fanatic said:
smile.gif
Maybe Wombats too, if they make good use of the snowmaking that's installed so far & push some further down the run.
according to my sources, towers is a maybe, drovers is looking good, wombats didn't rate a mention

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000

the_guru said:
Penguin Azz said:

Top half was all there.
Snow making should start tomorrow.
Opening weekend, maybe? Big D, Summit perhaps Village ??
Has there been any snowmaking on Sun Run? I see that Road Runner is turning.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Here's the next question I guess.....

How crowded is it likely to be at any of the resorts ?

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Now that the towers cam is working, with some snowmaking, I can't see how they won't have towers open this saturday.

fallscreek4.jpg

snaddict

First Runs
May 26, 2007
Australia

Perisher are opening on FRIDAY!

The Mitchell T-Bar will open from 11am on Friday. Passes will cost just $22 for Adults and $11 for Children.

Hotham Big D and Summit Trainer will be open on Saturday with a possibiblity of the Summit Chairlift as well.

snaddict

First Runs
May 26, 2007
Australia

They're not committing yet, they officially say "there's a strong possibility of Summit"

Team ham sandwich

First Runs
May 20, 2002
melbourne

Ski Bum Dave said:
FourSquare04 said:
hey dave will there be any rails up on bourke st for this weekend ?
Not unless you set them up!

There is more of a chance the week after i think 4Sq
there will be rails on bourke street this weekend

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Both Drovers and Towers at F.C. look great. Would love to be able to get up there, but it's the busiest week-end of the year fo me, work wise. Dammit!

Friends of None

One of Us
May 4, 2001
Sandringham

Geez ASB wouldn't want to leave it past today/early tomorrow, given it's this weejebed and all!

Summit? Surely down to RR, and Big D?!

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

The Falls Creek web site says lift open for sight seeing and snowplay on the weekend at the moment. I am not so sure we will see skiing this weekend yet, what looks good on a cam is no reflection of the actual quality or durability of the base.

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005

Cruiser and Friday Flat for skiing in Thredbo on the weekend. Not too sure about FF, but Cruiser is looking good.

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

Falls Creek Says

YES We will be operating Towers this weekend for some great fun intermediate skiing and boarding along with Mousetrap and Boardwalk. The snowsports school is open so book a lesson and get those ski legs warmed up.

Falls Express and Gully chairlifts will operate for sightseeing and access. Gully is free all season for foot traffic and Falls Express will be free all day Saturday of opening for foot traffic.

This weekend will be fun with lots of celebrations. Check out the activities besides skiing and boarding, including Pete The Snow Dragon Shows, Snow Bungy and loads of wining and dining options.

bk

First Runs
May 18, 2007
Brizvegas

can anyone tell me the usuall "order" in which perisher opens, FV first, then blue cow maybe?

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

ASB, I haven't kept up with the name changes at Falls - is Falls Express the new name for Halley's Comet?

Shiraz

Hard Yards
Feb 24, 2003
Adelaide, SA

Slushii said:
ASB, I haven't kept up with the name changes at Falls - is Falls Express the new name for Halley's Comet?
yes

ians 158

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 15, 2006
melbourne

i did a day trip to bulla yesterday,runs open were summit and bourke st top and bottom.summit was ok,i mainly rode the grimus side of the barrier,bit icy in patches.the main run was ok,part of it had been groomed.it got chopped up quickly.alot of rocks and stuff hiding under a thin in places cover.top of bourke st was very patchy especialy where the road goes through.had to ollie over parts of that section.fun. the snow was a bit slow through the flat section but a good wax on my board made sure i had no problems there.the lower section of bourke st had a fair cover and was nice for a slow cruise.this was the busiest out of the three runs,but not really any lift que problems.
i rode my rock hopper and with care only got a couple of light scratches on my base.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass