Question What would make Thredbo ski patrol want to take your pass?

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
The only time I've seen them threaten to was when people were poaching funnel web while the groomers were operating in the basin area.

I don't think they'd even consider it for simply skiing a closed run with no machinery working on it. Is this wrong?

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
Skiing a closed area, skiing too fast through a crowded area would be the 2 main ones.

But here's a 10 point primer of the rules:
It's just that from experience they just don't care in Thredbo about closed stuff. I had a ski patrol guy tell me I could do it but they just wouldn't come get me if I crashed.

That's why I was wondering for Thredbo because I know people have lost their passes but I'm not quite sure how.

Reactions: Kash

BrindiCruiser

Addicted
Jul 24, 2016
Especially relative to your skiing ability. There are other places where the same applies.

As for actually closed runs, it is not smart or respectful.

Out of bounds is different but you do need to know what you are doing. People have died at Thredbo just of the groomed runs.
Been ages since I skiied Thredbo, but skiing fast at the slow signs was a regular cause of warnings that I saw. Supertrail and High Noon seemed to be have patrollers parked at the slow signs pretty regularly back in the day.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Once saw a guy get his pass revoked up at Cruiser at the bottom of Squatter's Run for skiing too fast past the slow sign. Patroller went to talk to him, and he told the patroller to f off. It probably would've just been a warning had he not done that. Happened in 2019 i think, maybe 18.

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
Once saw a guy get his pass revoked up at Cruiser at the bottom of Squatter's Run for skiing too fast past the slow sign. Patroller went to talk to him, and he told the patroller to f off. It probably would've just been a warning had he not done that. Happened in 2019 i think, maybe 18.
Fair enough, it's not that hard to apologise.

Reactions: Alleve and crackson

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
Especially relative to your skiing ability. There are other places where the same applies.

As for actually closed runs, it is not smart or respectful.

Out of bounds is different but you do need to know what you are doing. People have died at Thredbo just of the groomed runs.
Depends on how you go about it for the closed stuff IMO.

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
Really? You think people don't duck ropes? ROFL
Haha no, not quite. I think that, based on personal experience and other people I know, ski patrol aren't going to take for ducking ropes (at Thredbo at least). I asked the question because I was interested in what actually made them take your pass. From what I can tell it's only some patrollers who even question you and even they will only take your pass if you're disrespectful when talking to them.

Reactions: crackson

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Thredbo patrol handle things very well.

They understand the guest experience and will warn you, but as indicated above, if you're a DH then bye bye pass, if you adhere to the rules and do as they ask, no problem.

Re ducking ropes. Generally speaking, it's not a life threatening thing to do in Thredbo. Most of the time if you do duck a rope, the reason it is roped off will be punishment enough. ie having to boot pack out of shrubs covered but not firmly enough to support you or shredded bases etc etc. When this happens, you will usually see patrol sitting back having a good ol' belly laugh at your expense.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
There's hard out of bounds and soft out of bounds. Some parts of the resort are permanently closed for a good reason, even then if it's a genuine accident and you are suitably apologetic you will probably be alright. From a safety point of view as long as you aren't giving impressionable beginners stupid ideas (such as hitting Stanley's and then ducking back in bounds to lap it via the cruiser lift) they seem fairly comfortable with people chosing their own adventure.

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
There's hard out of bounds and soft out of bounds. Some parts of the resort are permanently closed for a good reason, even then if it's a genuine accident and you are suitably apologetic you will probably be alright. From a safety point of view as long as you aren't giving impressionable beginners stupid ideas (such as hitting Stanley's and then ducking back in bounds to lap it via the cruiser lift) they seem fairly comfortable with people chosing their own adventure.
Yeah I'll be staying out of the permanently clsoed areas now. Also will probably not be lapping the visible part of Stanley's although I didn't realise that wasn't ok since it's not in the resort.

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
Thredbo patrol handle things very well.

They understand the guest experience and will warn you, but as indicated above, if you're a DH then bye bye pass, if you adhere to the rules and do as they ask, no problem.

Re ducking ropes. Generally speaking, it's not a life threatening thing to do in Thredbo. Most of the time if you do duck a rope, the reason it is roped off will be punishment enough. ie having to boot pack out of shrubs covered but not firmly enough to support you or shredded bases etc etc. When this happens, you will usually see patrol sitting back having a good ol' belly laugh at your expense.
I'll shred my bases on the exit of some nice pow, thanks :)

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Two local friends got a black mark the other day, for one it was a first, the other a badge of honour and water off a ducks back. Worth it he said! Haha, bit early in the season I said.
I've been black marked a couple of times.
Was usually for riding the glades or dream run when shut.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Yeah I'll be staying out of the permanently clsoed areas now. Also will probably not be lapping the visible part of Stanley's although I didn't realise that wasn't ok since it's not in the resort.
Yeah I didn’t realise Stanley’s was in the resort. I’ve always assumed it wasn’t and therefore not Thredbo’s problem if you ride there.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Stanley's isn't in the resort, but constantly cutting out of bounds and back can get ski patrol's attention.

I once rode all the way down the gunbarrel line when it was on windhold but fully covered, exiting on Friday flat in full view of ski patrol. Not a peep.

Reactions: skull and crackson

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
I don't think they'd even consider it for simply skiing a closed run with no machinery working on it. Is this wrong?
Duck the rope, yell out to them "oi ****s, you lot couldn't ski a carpet, ya pack of leeches!"

Alright, what would get you a warning?
Tell one of them they're a bottom dwelling, blood sticking ****. That oughtta do it.

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
1626171965103.gif

1626172072937.gif

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
It really depends on the patroller, the conditions, where you are and what your attitude is.
Coming in from genuine BC onto a closed run, a patroller with an attitude threatened to take my pass and accused me of lying because I didn’t have AT bindings. I pointed to our tracks coming in from BC and to my Marker FT 10 touring bindings. There was a very, very tense Mexican standoff and we parted ways.
Destroying my ankle having poached Pegasus on a big pow day. Patrol were fantastic.
The falling over was called in from someone on GB, we were self rescuing. The first responder checked on me and followed me, skiing down on one ankle down to Dream Run where 3 patrollers greeted me, asked if I needed a blood bucket, which I declined, wished me luck, said they knew who I was and that they were never there and left.
3 unnamed formites helped me big time that day.
These days I’m less likely to poach!

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
Stanley's isn't in the resort, but constantly cutting out of bounds and back can get ski patrol's attention.

I once rode all the way down the gunbarrel line when it was on windhold but fully covered, exiting on Friday flat in full view of ski patrol. Not a peep.
Yeah, I've come down under the gunbarrel in spring when patrol were taking the padding of the chairlift posts and they didn't say a word then either.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Thredbo has side boundaries. No top boundary.
So not that I would ride Stanley’s if I went up over the top at cruiser then shifted across and back under the ridge and down into Stanley’s then that could be ok.

so does cutting across golf course bowl into DHG cause the same drama. Or due to it being a safer areas they let that through

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
So not that I would ride Stanley’s if I went up over the top at cruiser then shifted across and back under the ridge and down into Stanley’s then that could be ok.

so does cutting across golf course bowl into DHG cause the same drama. Or due to it being a safer areas they let that through
Due to it being out of view of a lift full of noobs they have a very relaxed attitude. If you ask nicely they will even point you in the right direction.

Reactions: skull and crackson

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The only time I've seen them threaten to was when people were poaching funnel web while the groomers were operating in the basin area.

If you have to ask this question, your pass will be pulled.

da Bo ski patrol do read this forum.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass