1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Whats ever happened to "Pats Patch"

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Donza, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Its gorne aye? right??

2. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

not sure.have stayed a few times there though.

3. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

#3 HappyGirl, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. wangster

wangster A Local

As far as I know it's still there, and a long way from Leesville

5. Polaris

Polaris One of Us

Still there and operating but after a number of legal tos and fros with the council, along with Pat dying a few years ago now, the van numbers are down to the licence limit as opposed to 3 times over the limit like he used to manage 10 years ago.

Approx. 3kms past The Station Resort towards Dalgety

6. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

We had a cabin there for about 8 years and sold it about 4 years ago.. Before Pat died the council started getting stuck into him and Sean (Pats son) and made them reduce the numbers and clean the place up (long overdue).

I think they were licenced for 80? vans and had 200 or so.... When we sold up they had gotten rid of quite a lot and the park was looking a lot better. It was unbelievabe what they had out there - old train cariiages, double decker buses etc - all fitted out as accomodation.

Although it was always a bit rough around the edges we (including kids) always had a good time out there and never had any dramas.

Not sure if Sean's still running things - he was never the most 'motivated' bloke in the world..?

7. Tree Breaker Bob

Tree Breaker Bob Addicted

Pat was a smart man out witted the council many times, so there was no love lost there, one of the best stories he told me was when the council tried to sue him because his front paddock was full of weeds (they were looking for any excuse to cause him grief because he started the park as a low cost housing area because the prices in Jindy were becoming excessive for the locals, got state approval when snowy council knocked him back) anyway it made it all the way to court because he wouldn't clean it up

In court it was discovered that that bit of land was council land set aside for overnight stays if u were droving livestock, Pat knew that but didn't let on. He certainly had a sense of humour and was a good judge of horse flesh as horse racing and enjoying a drink were some of his activities

I knew him well, helped him dig the trenches for the new amenities block and to provide sewerage for the private onsite vans

Pat loved his park and as i said to him once u make more money from a bad season than a good one, because when the season was bad then people didn't come and his running costs were lower but we all paid a flat fee that was the same if you were there or not. That meant he didn't have to stand on the gate counting heads, how smart was that. Although Pat always knew who was in and what was happening in his park

There was two sons but sean took over and I haven't been there for many years and there is so much more accomadation nowdays than the 70's & 80's

We had a van there (downhilton) good name huh and spent some great seasons there with heaps of other shire people but as i said haven't been there since just before Pat died RIP Pat

8. Polaris

Polaris One of Us

Too true, too true

Sean is running the show nowadays

#8 Polaris, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  9. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I was out that way in summer and never noticed it...weird. Drove right past it too
    The reason I was wondering cause i've had a van in jindy for near on 15 years...up until say 5 years ago I met heaps and heaps of crew that had vans at the patch..while I had one in town. I flt like I was the odd one out..
    I can honestly say I haven't heard the patch mentioned for 5 years or so.

10. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

...memories...

11. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

It was always easy to miss that tiny neon Cloverleaf sign in the middle of a pitch black Jindabyne winters night. I think Pat had a 1 watt globe in that thing!

#11 BigWaveDave, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  12. OlinMarkIV1977

OlinMarkIV1977 Hard Yards

Re: Whats ever happened to "Pats Patch"

Great to find a thread on Pat's Patch!!
    Yes he was unique.
    We had a van "The Hook Inn" there from '79 to mid 80's.
    We had it set up amongst the dd buses half way up the hill on the right. Complete with a directional fire break and a BBQ each side it was always good on windy winter's nights. Long gone.
    Pat was always partial to a few stouts and was always great company with his stories.
    We were always enthralled when he had spent a summer in the USA skiing then would recount his escapades.
    In particular I recall him talking in his office with some new arrivals one afternoon who asked if he "ran" anything on the farm. Pat's reply "Yes as a matter a fact I have plenty of turkeys. They fly in on Friday nights and then fly out on late Sunday afternoons!"
    He was always partial to walking up the hill early evening and enjoying a drink at every stop ...and there were many.
    He always claimed he had to do this to pass on phone messages...no mobile phones back then.
    Once he said he would have to stop his walk as he ended up too pissed by the time he got back home.
    Some good memories and characters in the park:
    -the night "Navigator" took to showing his rally skills in "Willies" company Subaru wagon.
    - one Easter and the impromptu "Wine Tasting Festival" complete with the ladies of the night
    - walking ,yes walking back from the Jindy Pub, pretty sober by the time we arrived back.
    - the mad brunette from Eastwood/Ryde with the bloody Afghan dog and her huge luxury Viscount van /verandah set up.
    - Mark and Kerry with the beautiful yellow VW Beetle Porsche replica.
    - countless BBQ's
    - the mice plagues
    - Pat's tractor complete without tilting blade...everyones van leant downhill!!!
    - fixing skier's cars that had broken down in the park.
    .....and most of all a whole heap of fun with some great skiing memories incl the huge big dumps of 1981.

13. Arne

Arne One of Us

You're showing your age Olin.
    But they were good skis.

14. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

If you recall the "shut the door" lady ... they had a caravan at Pats patch for many years.

Hodge family, top folks

#14 dawooduck, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  15. Tree Breaker Bob

Tree Breaker Bob Addicted

Mate

The old generator and the blackouts

Strange things did happen out there, one night in the 80's a naked woman started bashing on our van door about 1am

Obviously in full control of her mind lol, some time later there was a car being driven round looking for her

Olin mark 1V , you probably had a pr of ballet ones as well

Bob

16. A.L.E

A.L.E One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Stayed at Pat's a few times in the early 80s. All I can remember was how frigging cold it was in the caravan. A pot of water froze solid on the stove and one of my mates said bugger this it must be warmer in the car, so did just that and slept in the corolla station wagon.
    Thankfully upgraded a little when I met my girlfriend now wife, who's family always stayed at the diminutive Rock Creek Ski Lodge. Once the original rangers hut in Perisher. Nothing flash either but wonderful historic place and a great location just across the creek from the quad chair.

The rebuilding after a lightening strike burnt it down in the 50s.

#16 A.L.E, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  17. OlinMarkIV1977

OlinMarkIV1977 Hard Yards

Hey Bob yes had a pair of the orange Comp IV's after a pair of Mark VI's and black Mark I's .....bloody good skis those mark IV's in the day though heavy beasts compared to todays light and short ....cheater!! skis..... they now hang on the garage wall!!
    Remember seeing a pair of the Ballet IV's for sale up the mountain around that time for $50..... bargain. Did hire a pair one year and had a lesson...bloody hard and couldn't wait to get back on the planks. Do you recall the fire in the early 80's in one of the old double deckers one Saturday night in season? Apparently it was extinguished and was still in use months later still with the scorch marks.
    One of the gang had a WB V8 MANUAL ute (company issue) but in typical style added the big wide rims and tyres. He was all worried about the big wheels on the ice so had a pair of skinny standards in the tray. it was suggested he practice changing the rims over so he whipped the flash trolley jack out to give us all a demo .......well he raised the brand new ute up ripped the big rubber off and just as he was about to fit the skinnys the whole thing toppled off thje jack and layed flat on its belly....great entertainment backed with our encouragement Just very good memories and fun times Bob.

#17 OlinMarkIV1977, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  18. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

I spent 6 weeks at the patch during my second season. Slept in the canvas annex of a van with 3 others while 4 slept in the van. Was a good intduction to what cold is - the van probably should have only slept 3.
    At the same time had a mate with his tent set up next to us - I don't know how he didn't set it on fire with his gas burning heater.

Many good memories - it was the closest thing to a hippy commune I've experienced, maybe that was just the the chemical state of my mind while out there. Can still recall the smell of the place. lol
    And the naked woman. haha

Skatebording in the tennis court...

In 2001 a friend lived there in a cabin with homemade extensions of sheet metal rooms. Mid season a few ton of snow was brought back on trailers, utes and in the back of vans. A small jib session was set up and everyone sat around the fire drinking and hitting the ramp and rail late into the night. I did a little video of it - must dig through my archives, I'm still friends with the fella and every now and then we reminisce and he asks for the vid.

19. Me+3

Me+3 Hard Yards

So does this place still exist or not ?

20. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep.