1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Whats going on with Remarks?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Stroven87, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Stroven87

Stroven87 Hard Yards

Been following the reports quite closely as I am heading over in a couple of weeks...
    How come Remarks is still closed? Anyone know when its scheduled to open? The cams look pretty decent!

2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Press release 6 min ago

3. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Up until a few hours ago, they've not had enough snow. Simple really.

4. Stroven87

Stroven87 Hard Yards

aw yisssssssssssss

5. Hacski

Hacski Guest

I'll believe it when I see it, near the end of July.

6. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hey @Red_switch
    Based on your knowledge of the rock type and the fact you regularly hike into Doolans, do you think Remarks has a sneaky agenda to tunnel through from the top of Curvee?
    Would it be possible do you think?(excluding resource consents and all the other bureaucratic/environmental considerations)
    I mean that would create an absolute world class field

7. Red_switch

I don't think it will be a tunnel, but there are people on this forum with a fair idea of what's going on.

That and the fact that the weakly metamorphosed schist through there is pretty horrible rock.

8. MisterMxyzptlk

Thanks Red
    I presumed that ridge rock over to Doolans was pretty shaky and tunnelling through would be "interesting"
    (Although I guess the old Arrowtown gold mines might have been similar?)
    It was just musings on why they stopped the chair where they did instead of running it right up to the top of the ridge I guess

9. Red_switch

Wind would be the reason for that. Those saddles get horrifically windy. Even when it's relatively still down in the basins, it can be difficult to stand up (let alone fold a pair of skins tidily!) up on those saddles. The cornices that form up there have to be seen to be believed (any pics @Draizuh ?)

And yeah, lots of scree/moraine to deal with if you wanted to tunnel through the ridge, let alone the actual bedrock. Be more like the homer, but shorter and softer rock.

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  10. MisterMxyzptlk

I knew wind would be part of it
    Have ridden Shadow in what seemed like no wind and hiked to the top of the chutes to be met by a howling gale it's not hard to imagine what it would be like up on that ridge
    I guess they would have struggled to get resource consent to flatten out an area up there as a "landing zone" as well

11. socold

socold A Local Ski Pass: Gold

if they did put a chair in over in the Doolans I would say they would put some sort of surface lift over the ridge.

12. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

From what I've heard, the original plan when the Remarks first opened was that they were going to put a tunnel in over on the Wye Valley side and a couple of lifts. Mind you, that's in a conservation area, so it got knocked on the head and is highly unlikely to happen now.

13. MisterMxyzptlk

Yeah Tele I'm sure I spoke to someone on a lift one day in the mid 90's about a tunnel which is why I've been obsessed by it

14. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

*cracks knuckles*

The orginal plan was to put a tunnel in from curvey, it was being discussed when i used to work up there. But as far as im aware has been stopped due to reasons unknown (probably 50% greenies/50% geotechnical)
    Yes the orginal plan was actually to develop the ski resort in the doolans, rastus burn (which is the name of the area the skifield is in) was never the intended site, Its known for poor snow conditions mostly due to northern aspects.
    What was the remarkables up untill this summer was actually "stage 1" of development. Im not sure why stage two never happened but i assume it was due to the mt cook airlines (the orginal owners) doing down and for the few years where airnz was the owner of the 3 fields, nothing really happened untill it was bought by NZski in 2001.
    There was orginally plans to run cat skiing in the doolans via Heli ridge above the sugarbowl however DOC insisted that it had to have a certain amount of snow cover (which it never does) and it never took off. The cabin is now used as a ski patrol hut at the top of sugar.

As of when i last worked there the idea was still to expand into the doolans, its the money, its sick terrain with decent snow and huge vertical compared to the rastus side. I may or may not know something about expansion. Its not concrete ;)

As for the reasons why it didnt go to the ridge. As mentioned, it gets snow and wind, it seems it was already on wind hold today... NZski are cautious of lift terminals on exposed ridge lines after they decided to build the summit six at hutt, that thing gets insane rime and ice loading.. Even rivals the mighty ruapehu some seasons..

As far as cornices on Jackel Col (Wye East..)

[​IMG]
    Keep in mind that was on the 28th of novemeber!

[​IMG]
    This one is off the back of heli flat/ridge last year in august. Me and red_switch skinned under it as it was the only way out of the doolans where we were.. id say it would have been easily 5m high or more..

darkrabbit and Centago like this.