What's it REALLY like owning a place in Dinner Plain?

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Would love to one day own a little chalet in Dinner Plain one day in the not too distant future but just wondering what it's REALLY like owning a place up there? Do you use it much? Are the rates etc. high or reasonable? Is the community there good and active all year round like the real estate agents would have you believe or is it a ghost town outside of winter months? Do you love that you bought up there or was it a fad and now you just want to sell it and save your money?

Most of all, is it a great ski base for family wanting to get away all year round, especially in winter, and to ski Hotham?

(would be awesome if you could also get to Falls easily enough from DP too because being freehold is great but it's a 2 hour drive!!!)

So come on, spill the tea, what's it really like owning a chalet at Dinner Plain?

Echo Base

Addicted
Aug 3, 2017
Q: What is a Lodge?
A: A house-shaped hole in the snow that you pour money into.

But really, as a Dinner Plain owner for 11 years now, it’s great.
We use it every second long weekend or so in the green season (and even more in the past) and on average two weekends and a week in the ski season (always enough to warrant a season pass)

Alpine Shire’s Dinner Plain rates are expensive compared to other areas, but not as bad as they used to be. The permanent community are great, but it is quiet in summer, which I love. (if you wanted somewhere busy in summer, you’d go to the beach!) We don’t regret buying up there at all, and when we did changeover houses a few years ago, to free up some capital, we were greatly relieved when our short period of not having a place was over.

We are hands-on property owners, doing most renovations and maintenance ourselves, as well as managing guest bookings, which reduces our overheads a good deal.

We love going there in all seasons, always great to have the fireplace going, hang out around the house, looking out at the trees, do a bushwalk, visit a café/bar/brewery/restaurant or a friend’s place.
In winter, the only ski-in ski-out is Nordic (which I take advantage of) but being able to drive straight up to your door (usually without chains in a 4WD) nearly makes up for it. The drive is just 15 minutes to Hotham, and so picturesque, it’s one of my favourite parts of any trip.

Bright would be the go of you want a choice of mountains, but of course, Falls is just a 10 minute helicopter flight away from Hotham ;) I’ve done this once, and it was amazing (but very dependent on the state of the weather and your wallet)

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Q: What is a Lodge?
A: A house-shaped hole in the snow that you pour money into.

But really, as a Dinner Plain owner for 11 years now, it’s great.
We use it every second long weekend or so in the green season (and even more in the past) and on average two weekends and a week in the ski season (always enough to warrant a season pass)

Alpine Shire’s Dinner Plain rates are expensive compared to other areas, but not as bad as they used to be. The permanent community are great, but it is quiet in summer, which I love. (if you wanted somewhere busy in summer, you’d go to the beach!) We don’t regret buying up there at all, and when we did changeover houses a few years ago, to free up some capital, we were greatly relieved when our short period of not having a place was over.

We are hands-on property owners, doing most renovations and maintenance ourselves, as well as managing guest bookings, which reduces our overheads a good deal.

We love going there in all seasons, always great to have the fireplace going, hang out around the house, looking out at the trees, do a bushwalk, visit a café/bar/brewery/restaurant or a friend’s place.
In winter, the only ski-in ski-out is Nordic (which I take advantage of) but being able to drive straight up to your door (usually without chains in a 4WD) nearly makes up for it. The drive is just 15 minutes to Hotham, and so picturesque, it’s one of my favourite parts of any trip.

Bright would be the go of you want a choice of mountains, but of course, Falls is just a 10 minute helicopter flight away from Hotham ;) I’ve done this once, and it was amazing (but very dependent on the state of the weather and your wallet)
This sounds fantastic, and exactly the approach we would be looking for...and we already live at the beach so we have "busy summer" well and truly covered, was more wondering if there was ANY green season presence and shops open at all, but it sounds like there are. Definitely wouldn't want busy, I would love it if I were the only person on the mountain when ever I was there (as I'm sure lots of us would) but if there are some people and some places to get food and socialize during non-winter seasons then that's great...and if there's a bit of that without it being busy (like Bright gets) then that sounds perfect!

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Awesome

Summer - quiet, but enough permanent residents and visitors. Just the right balance imo. Not much in the way of dining options but there is a couple of places. Use it all the time in summer, a great retreat and also base for summer mountain activities

Winter - busy and vibes, see you at high plains

Rates / outgoings very reasonable

Whilst hotham ski in ski out is good, I enjoy the driving and it's nice to get off the hill. Plus touring around DP is nice

So much more bang for your buck too - think decks and fireplaces at DP vs shoebox apartment at hotham

Don't regret buying, it's a lifetime purchase. And if you are into renovating then there's lots of opportunity

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
and no pub anymore?
Apparently pub’s been bought (for less than a million which I reckon is cheap) by some conglomerate keen to make a go of it. DP is busy, very busy, lots of folk coming up for MTBg, and today the walk out to FT was also crazy busy. Fed Hut had about 20 tents and the water tank was dry.

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Jan 27, 2020
whats with the design of all the buildings at DP? been watching the prices, and recently now well out of range.. all listed as architect designed, i am assuming, just the 1 architect? is there a policy in place for design?

Sean Sunley

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2017
Canberra
whats with the design of all the buildings at DP? been watching the prices, and recently now well out of range.. all listed as architect designed, i am assuming, just the 1 architect? is there a policy in place for design?
I think the old eastern part was done mostly by the same person hence the lofts, window beds, lots of levels and roof lines. No project builders so mostly unique architect designs but I have seen an owner builder and even a transportable home. There is a design policy but it doesn't seem strictly enforced in the newer western part.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
from visitdinnerplain.com.au, my emphasis
The developers, Dinner Plain Pty Ltd were fortunate to have many connections in the ski industry and government, they also had the expertise of architect, Peter McIntyre. Peter McIntryre's design of the Village features buildings architecturally inspired by the characteristics of the old cattlemen's huts.
Construction in the village is still restricted to timber, local stone and corrugated iron, with a limited range of colours approved. Strict covenants limit such detractions as antennae, fences and washing lines, and all buildings are subject to height restrictions.
The architectural success of Dinner Plain has since led to the development of the Australian Alpine style, which is now being adopted as a benchmark by all other alpine resorts in Australia.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Australian Alpine style. LOL

The older places are quaint but I’d hardly call them particularly great architecture once you get inside.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Well there’s nothing left for sale, it’s all been snaffled. Only a few places left $1M+
And a couple of duplexes that were selling Pre Covid for $300k now asking more than double that.
Same as Buller, nothing in between $2-300k dog box hotel room conversions and 3br $700k plus. A 2br just got listed for $550k, old renovation but good location, I'll be amazed if it lasts a week.

Reactions: nezumi

LJ1981

First Runs
Apr 5, 2021
Does anyone know how much would it cost to build a house in DP?? Just an average alpine style home, nothing too big or luxurious. I can see that land is not that bad with price (around $200k), seem cheap compared to buying already established house.

Sean Sunley

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2017
Canberra
Does anyone know how much would it cost to build a house in DP?? Just an average alpine style home, nothing too big or luxurious. I can see that land is not that bad with price (around $200k), seem cheap compared to buying already established house.

A couple of year's ago I was advised to allow double normal building costs, approx $4k/m2.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass