What's the deal with this heat?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
@Rush
The difference is that those people are still relating their experience to a single point on the planet(and in SE Australia) with a run of hot temperatures..... YOU are trying to turn this into an AGW shit-fight, and it won't be allowed.

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
I am looking at Easter for a possibility of a large field of cool air finally extending past Tassie and lower Vic. Hopefully long term GFS has picked it well this far out. Of course it may all disappear.

In my experience of the Bathurst area, this is a most unusual run of well above average temps in my time here. As mentioned though earlier, probably not unique in time. But it's certainly been a tad warm.

We average 2.7 days equal to or above 30 in March, so far only one day has missed it and that day was 29.8 :) We are averaging a bit over 32 so far, long term average is just under 25. Bit of a gap.

Nights also about 4 above average. Looking forward to an easing from 30's mid next week (though not cool) then hopefully another step down around Easter. :D

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
GFS is suggesting more traditional frontal systems from the 21st March and again a few days later.
Take that with very large grain of salt as models are traditionally not that great in the transitional seasons.

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
Indeed CC but it's nice to see that sort of thing in the models, despite it being out a looong way and definitely a fair chance of being something completely different , it's good to think it possible, :)

Equinox is close now and that always helps things in the Tablelands areas, night cooling overcomes day warming. :D

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
@Rush
The difference is that those people are still relating their experience to a single point on the planet(and in SE Australia) with a run of hot temperatures..... YOU are trying to turn this into an AGW shit-fight, and it won't be allowed.

These discussions can be about weather processes without becoming AGW bun fights. There's plenty of basic weather processes that people can learn about and do want to understand better. So maybe stick to the weather science and it will naturally build better understanding of broader climate science issues without the dogma taking over.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Strange how on a ski forum discussion on global warming is treated as a taboo subject. Doesn't matter which sub-forum the issue comes up in the discussion is often shut down, seen as too contentious.
Nothing brings out people's agro and aggressive stubborn opinion quite like a climate change discussion.

Reactions: DbSki

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
@Rush
These discussions can be about weather processes without becoming AGW bun fights. There's plenty of basic weather processes that people can learn about and do want to understand better. So maybe stick to the weather science and it will naturally build better understanding of broader climate science issues without the dogma taking over.

This^^

Strange how on a ski forum discussion on global warming is treated as a taboo subject. Doesn't matter which sub-forum the issue comes up in the discussion is often shut down, seen as too contentious.

It's not so much the FACT that it's contentious, it's that it BECOMES a shit fight every time.
We tried that last year and that's what happened(Falls Expat posted it up, and eventually it turned to crap... Gerg spat the dummy and left, which was a pity). People want to push their own agenda, then you get abuse, name calling, and that's where it ends.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Discuss global warming to your heart's content in CV. It always end in a shitfight; Sandy & I are sick of cleaning it up.

Reactions: DbSki

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Bagerk!

We broke the record, only just, temp going back down now.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Longest March heatwave on record, previously 9 days. Has been over 30 every day this month so far, but also the last week in Feb.

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
It might be a novel idea to find out what constitutes a heatwave in different locations. A succession of 30+c days at my location wouldn't raise an eyebrow , tbh a run of 30+c days would be quite welcome. Days that are 30 - 35c are relatively normal for this location and time of the year. A heatwave doesn't even get discussed until its over 40c ( and for the current run I don't know how many it was , somewhere around 20 I would guess ) . Today we only got to 37c so the current heatwave has ended for us. Hopefully it wont return again this year and a downward trend has now begun.

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
bloody humid in Sydney this evening
just walked the dog and drenched in sweat
I hate being sweaty, its no good for my complexion

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
It might be a novel idea to find out what constitutes a heatwave in different locations. A succession of 30+c days at my location wouldn't raise an eyebrow , tbh a run of 30+c days would be quite welcome. Days that are 30 - 35c are relatively normal for this location and time of the year. A heatwave doesn't even get discussed until its over 40c ( and for the current run I don't know how many it was , somewhere around 20 I would guess ) . Today we only got to 37c so the current heatwave has ended for us. Hopefully it wont return again this year and a downward trend has now begun.
BoM says:

"Three days or more of high maximum and minimum temperatures that is unusual for that location."
Or you can get really excited with the Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research. The answer seems to be along the lines of "It ain't 'arf 'ot, Mum".

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
That's fine as a definition for a heatwave , thanks Legs Akimbo. My question was more about what temperature in different locations would be considered -Three days or more of high maximum and minimum temperatures that is unusual for that location." I just thought it might be interesting to find out . At least it stops this infernal bickering over global goddamningly boring warming , it exists people and my only real question about it is exactly how much can be put down to us. I better stop now before a nasty note from a mod appears :)

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Marble Bar set a world record in 1924 for 160 consecutive days above 37.8C (100F)
So that means the world is cooling now, global warming people changed to climate change to cover their butts, you can play statistics any way you want.

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
It's not so much the FACT that it's contentious, it's that it BECOMES a shit fight every time.
We tried that last year and that's what happened(Falls Expat posted it up, and eventually it turned to crap... Gerg spat the dummy and left, which was a pity). People want to push their own agenda, then you get abuse, name calling, and that's where it ends.

And this is how the shit fight and abuse begins.

So that means the world is cooling now, global warming people changed to climate change to cover their butts, you can play statistics any way you want.

Some people want to deliberately derail legitimate discussion. Do we ban the discussion or ban the name callers ? Guess that's the choice.

Back on topic, it's a sticky night here in Brisbane.

cookieman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2013
Melbourne
I predict that by third week of March we will have maximum temps below 20c for Melbourne, and people will complain where has summer gone?

Reactions: rocketboy

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Coolest day in 3 months here , only got to a top of 34, we even had a little ( and I do mean a little ) rain today. Is this the turning point where summer becomes autumn ? Only time will tell I guess. If it is then the countdown to first snow starts now :)

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Some patchy rain in the lower half of NSW , from around Hillston -West Wyalong all the way south to the Vic border. A decent size storm heading north east going between Mudgee and Newcastle. Central and mid north coast might get a decent drop out of it.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
@Rush
For the record not a single statement of mine attempted any attribution to the observed changes in the planet's atmospheric circulation.

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
This^^

I always wondered why i stopped seeing him post. Now i know.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass