1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

What's with TC lift passes in 2018?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by hpsauce, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

One of the reasons why i cant understand the hate remarks gets. Best all rounder out there IMO. Its litterally got something for everyone..

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  2. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Guess that's why the carparks are so crazy up there mid-season these days :(

But yeah, super solid hill

3. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Still BC lines for days when french people dont boot straight up them as youre ready to drop in!

Red_switch likes this.
  4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Perhaps they need the money.:emoji_violin::emoji_violin::emoji_violin:

5. N0frilz

N0frilz Addicted

What a joke TC has become, i bet they will have even more jucy cars in the park this year.

6. pedub

pedub One of Us

I really neglected Remarks as I try to avoid Queenstown but gotta say I loved it. Shadow basin rocks.
    Then dropping over into those chutes by the frozen lake
    I love TC but that price.......

7. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Having done about 5 days at TC over the last 12/13 years - It is pretty damn good on Powder, or deep dry soft stuff up in the Saddle. And yes hard to beat for fresh teles.

But there's big caveats too:
    - the Saddle is poorly signposted and in the fog there's very few landmarks to assist navigation.
    - the base area is very crowded (looking small & old) on good August days - even on weekdays.
    - the queues are pretty long at the base of the summit-six pack. Unlike some other NZ & Oz peaks there's no alternative to get to the far side of the mountain. And if it goes down its all over red rover.
    - (Captain obvious): the base of the six pack is a bit low - even for Unzud' - and it's often thin, slushy or icy when compared to say Cardi's base area (valley view excepted!) oven Concrete peak.
    - not a great mountain for training the sprogs or for groups of mixed ability. And beginner/lower inter runs have tended to be quite narrow by Sth hem stds.
    - we all know the road is interesting but it has improved over recent years.
    - But now it's also very expensive, for the facilities on offer. $135 per day as short term Aussie visitor will test my resolve.

In short, price rise could go either way. If it's a good season TC might barely notice a fall off in nos. but if it's poor-ish they might feel the wrath.

8. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I haven’t been paying super close attention, but I think Cardrona and Remarks have been getting good snow dumps since around March this year. I suspect that overall, it’s going to be a good season on the south island. It will indeed be interesting to see what the price increase does to visitor numbers.

So far I’ve stuck to Remarks because my boys are beginners and to access the adaptive resources for Mstr 7, who has autism. Cardrona and TC have been on my radar for when their ability improves, but not if the lift price is considerably more than elsewhere.

9. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

March?? no. theres been snow on the ground for about a week.

10. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

As further evidence that TC is either incompetent or just couldn't GAF, I note the webcams did not refresh....and have been taken down all together for the past 2 or so weeks. #NZsouthislandlyfe......"we'd prefer you weren't here"

11. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

tbh, that's how I feel.

hpsauce likes this.
  12. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Probably cause they are losing snow. i doubt the bottom of the 6 is looking very great right now.

Red_switch likes this.
  13. KL.

KL. One of Us

When are they going to have a lift out of the Motatapu chutes upto the Saddle chair?

14. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

Did they increase their lift pass prices to cover the cost of the free shuttles?

15. KL.

KL. One of Us

probably and no free coffee at the bottom

16. windy

windy Hard Yards

Opening day and the cams still haven't been updated. Apparently they are in the process of replacing them.

17. KL.

KL. One of Us

had the following lift ideas for TC while posting elsewhere, because of the long uphill walk out of motatapu...

a lift from the bottom of motatpu would be great and also a lift to the top of the summit would be great. The summit lift would create some nice long runs through gunbarrel and the powder basin to the 6). a lift to the top of the summit would create some nice long runs through hollywood into the motatapu chutes.

probably the best lift from the bottom of motatapu, would be a lift from over the creek to the top of the other ridge (opposite motatapu) and then ski from the top of that ridge down to the saddle lift or you can ski back down (nice black directly down) to this lift.

a summit lift might even let you ski further over to Thompsons (i think that is the name) ridge which would let you ski down the other side of motatpu

add those 2 lifts to TC and TC would be much bigger, much more enjoyable, and maybe even justify their very high lift ticket prices.

18. N0frilz

N0frilz Addicted

If i recall correctly there was a plan for a second lift in the saddle basin past the chutes around Gotliebs?

19. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

Lot of kick back on social media about the Jucy deal. Car parks routinely closed early but full of Jucy cars, if I was paying full freight probably not happy too!

20. hpsauce

the complete lack of any other multi deal means that the ONLY deal is via the Jucy ticket. So it was probably boom time for Jucy this year and explains the car park situation.

21. hpsauce

New TC website is up. Just in time for winter.......

windy likes this.
  22. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Dumphfish and windy like this.
  23. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

Probably need to join up those Wanaka fields together on the one pass, make a lot of people happy. They all offer something different but complementary. TC run like a club field but charges like an elite resort.

windy likes this.
  24. pedub

pedub One of Us

Did this article actually say a lot?? I'm not sure what to take from it. I think Cardrona and TC already challenge the Queenstown fields pretty heavily. There have been joint passes between TC and cardies before so that's nothing new...

25. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

I meant joined up season pass at a rate that challenges NZSki.