1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

whats with thredbo video reports

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Toddo, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

only showing skiiers most of the time. Not sure i've seen 1 boarder this week. It's always the same super g style carving skiiers. they should show some vareity and swing by the park for a bit of footage for a change! my $0.02

2. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

33m radius turns? 66m downhill each turn? on an open hill?

where? is patrol not clamping down on that sort of behaviour?

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Hard Yards

Never seen anything near a SuperG sided turn on their videos... I know they were careful about what is shown on them to make sure things like inverts are not shown as supported, but seem to have relaxed that now.

4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I reckon its because they think skiers look better on hard cord than boarders. Its hard to make hard cord look like much fun, other than going really fast. The boarder picks will be back when we get some real snow.

5. Zoran

Zoran First Runs

Craving another 5 seconds of fame toddo?

6. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

1 second.

7. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thats about all K10 got, and it was his legs.

8. jilimbilo

jilimbilo Hard Yards

They re-use old footage and add new audio don't they?
    Or am i crazy?

9. PaulHothersall

PaulHothersall First Runs

look at the video day to day, same skiers.....

Thredbo media comprise of limited number of camera guys, presenters, and surprise surprise few "model" skiers. They all have different "uniforms".

Thats all fair as they film a bunch of it early morning, and hence sometimes why the race kids are shown often as up early on the hill.

There is only a few people to do all the press releases, media, edit the video and put it on the web. To compose the non public shots is hard , especially as idiots seem to do the "hello mum" waves comments to ruin a shot.

I was up last week for a powder shoot, and for like 10-20 seconds of video shown over 2 days, it took an hour of filming. Thats way better than most production companies!

Good guys and girls working hard, and with all the best will in the world heading into the powder areas carrying a broadcast camera and tripod ona board is a lot harder on a board than skis. Most shots are public carving it up early in the day when most is filmed.

For whatever reason on any given day 90%+ of first lifters which is when the runs look awesome are all skiers. Why the boarder miss the 1st run in general I don;t know, but thats what i see.

$0.02 worth anyway.

yadda yadda not speaking for kt here, only my opinion,, yaadda yadda ya

10. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

oh yeah don't we know it - any idea how much time it takes to get 1.5 hours of video footage... multiply that by 6 DVDs and you would know why I'm a little over shooting footage right atm... [​IMG]

and +1 is very over editing...

and we are both over the whole process right now... just as well the end is in sight for a bit...
    plus we had no team...just 2 of us 1 camera... and 2 radios... and plenty of folks coming past skiing at my camera alright [​IMG]

by your estimate we are probably doing well as 3 hours of video comes from around 10 hours of tape... each tape takes us a full day to film -I can nearly fill a tape if I can shoot from 9am to 4pm(1 eat packed lunch on hill - takes around 20mins)... that means an early start to be at the hill by 8am... and if I finish filming at 4pm I then have to pack up and ski stuff back to car... then it is home for a feed and a beer then spend the evening reviewing tape for shots that need redos... all of that does not count shot list and script writing prior to shooting...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#10 Little Tiger, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  11. Phalanx

Phalanx Hard Yards

If you want to get in the footage, you need to be there before 9am normally. And they turn up a lot of times filming super trail above bunny and upper world cup. But this year they have been less common.

12. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

Check out today's vid - it seems their hesitance to show fun manouvres is gone, with plenty of single, and even some double flips.

All performed by skiers, of course.

Looks like it was a cracking day yesterday!

13. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

whats even more annoying is that the date i got a run is missing from the rss feed for some reason.

if it's so hard getting good footage you would think 10 minutes in the park at a good time would get them quite a few good clips.

14. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Riding the lift with a skier a few weeks ago, realising by our conversation he worked here, I asked what he did; he works for Thredbo Media as a trainee camera man (carries the tripod) it also means he's one of the regular sliders in the reports. I say "slider" because he actually is a boarder who has been told to become a better skier!

15. crudman

crudman First Runs

haha i always see skiers doing flips on those vids

16. scallywag

scallywag First Runs

at least the presenter chick is hot. thredbo's run by old crusty downhill skiers who hate snowboarding, snowboarding at thredbo is like being a black man wanting to be accepted back in the 60's. I've never understood why resort owners who ski descriminate so much against snowboarders.

17. Hobber

Hobber A Local

... okay, care to back that up with some examples?

#17 Hobber, Jul 22, 2009
  18. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

The girl is hot
    Libby that does the Mt Buller video reports some mornings can hardly put a proper sentence together

19. captain

captain Hard Yards

I found it to be ok, Ski Patrol didn't like it when I was dumping large amounts of snow scooped up on my board onto the begginner chair however. They put a line through my ticket and acted all tough, problem was the line rubbed off with saliva and some elbow grease. God ski patrol are a bunch of tossers, I

#19 captain, Jul 22, 2009
  20. Hobber

Hobber A Local

err... that makes you a whanker not them. Nothing to do with you being a boarder all to do with you being a whanker.

#20 Hobber, Jul 22, 2009
  21. scallywag

scallywag First Runs

They don't like anything half challenging in the parks because its to 'dangerous'. the park crew put in a down rail last year that lasted a whole 2 days because management wanted it down. I'm preety certain theres not one person in management who snowboards and at the instructors end of year party/awards, snowboard instructors never win awards. im not even sure if they were invited last year? is that enough examples? maybe i overexagerated but its defanitly a skiers resort. Much more than any other in Aus

#21 scallywag, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  22. captain

captain Hard Yards

gee that bait was taken quickly.

#22 captain, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013