When are the borders opening?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Well as soon as the borders open I'm travelling.
Not sure whether I will or not.
It’s not about getting out for getting outs sake for me. If the timing is right to do the things I wish, and it’s safe, and my loved ones back here are ok to leave - then yes, I’m happy to.

I can imagine families kept apart will be making a rush for the borders the minute things open, so I’d be content to wait until the initial rush is over.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Think of the people that have family interstate or intrastate and elderly parents in nursing homes that they cannot visit. It's not about wanting to have friends over for a bbq or going to a rave party.
Or overseas. I get it, it's a personal choice to move countries, but all that while you know you can jump on a plane and be there within 24 hours should something happen. Injury, sickness, family needs help...

I had my Christmas planned not to go for a ski trip, but having 2 months of long service leave to help my mum to rearrange her apartment after an injury that happened in July (and I couldn't fly over either). See my new nephew, help my oldest niece with her academic study - this is a very important year for her, and generally to be there for my brother & his 4 kids. It will be a pretty sh@tty Xmas for me; ordinarily, I am overseas most of the time - or I get my mum here. But I live in the hope of a beautiful sparkling vaccine early next year.
I know other people have it much worse, so I am trying not to complain too much. One of my colleagues had to get an exemption to fly over to the UK to see her terminally ill dad - and she doesn't know when she can even get back here.
Lots of stories around.

So this is so much more than wanting to go for a skiing trip or holidays - for so many people.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Or overseas. I get it, it's a personal choice to move countries, but all that while you know you can jump on a plane and be there within 24 hours should something happen. Injury, sickness, family needs help...

I had my Christmas planned not to go for a ski trip, but having 2 months of long service leave to help my mum to rearrange her apartment after an injury that happened in July (and I couldn't fly over either). See my new nephew, help my oldest niece with her academic study - this is a very important year for her, and generally to be there for my brother & his 4 kids. It will be a pretty sh@tty Xmas for me; ordinarily, I am overseas most of the time - or I get my mum here. But I live in the hope of a beautiful sparkling vaccine early next year.
I know other people have it much worse, so I am trying not to complain too much. One of my colleagues had to get an exemption to fly over to the UK to see her terminally ill dad - and she doesn't know when she can even get back here.
Lots of stories around.

So this is so much more than wanting to go for a skiing trip or holidays - for so many people.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-locked-out-of-australia-20200918-p55x5i.html

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
I hoping Gladys opens up soon at least for regional Vic. Dad is early stage palliative in Gisborne so my brother and I made the trip last week over the border. Can't head back to Sydney without a 14 day quarantine at this stage. Made the right call to come down but would like to be able to go back and forward obviously.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Think of the people that have family interstate or intrastate and elderly parents in nursing homes that they cannot visit. It's not about wanting to have friends over for a bbq or going to a rave party.

and I specifically didnt name those as Karens. Those who are Karens are just selfish.

Yes its a bit tough, but when I migrated to Australia in the early 70s we all but lost contact with our English relatives (apart from the occasional stone-chiselled tablets via sailing ships etc). Tough luck.

If you happen to have an elderley parent in a home in another state, is there a possibility you might be increasing their risk by visiting them?

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
and I specifically didnt name those as Karens. Those who are Karens are just selfish.

Yes its a bit tough, but when I migrated to Australia in the early 70s we all but lost contact with our English relatives (apart from the occasional stone-chiselled tablets via sailing ships etc). Tough luck.

If you happen to have an elderley parent in a home in another state, is there a possibility you might be increasing their risk by visiting them?
You are not a risk if you do not have the virus. I finally got to visit my mother in her nursing home in August after not being able to see her since Christmas. We all had our flu shots, our temperatures were taken, we wore face masks, applied hand sanitizer and confirmed that we had not come from a hot zone nor in contact with anybody with the virus.

If your family chose to emigrate, that is vastly different from not being able to see your family within your own country.

Reactions: Kash and Ozgirl

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
You are not a risk if you do not have the virus. I finally got to visit my mother in her nursing home in August after not being able to see her since Christmas. We all had our flu shots, our temperatures were taken, we wore face masks, applied hand sanitizer and confirmed that we had not come from a hot zone nor in contact with anybody with the virus.

If your family chose to emigrate, that is vastly different from not being able to see your family within your own country.

The example of emigration was merely to demonstrate that people can and do actually survive despite isolation, or are we just speshul these days?

And if you open up borders and allow more travel, then you will increase the risk of contamination, and you will get those selfish pe\ple travelling without following correct protocols. We have experienced a number of selfish twats who cant do the right thing and follow simple quarantine protocols

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
The example of emigration was merely to demonstrate that people can and do actually survive despite isolation, or are we just speshul these days?

And if you open up borders and allow more travel, then you will increase the risk of contamination, and you will get those selfish pe\ple travelling without following correct protocols. We have experienced a number of selfish twats who cant do the right thing and follow simple quarantine protocols
We can't control murderer's either.

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
but I have little respect for those who are missing catching up with their mates. You are all the Karens.
I'm sure you've just got your words wrong. I'm dreadfully missing catching up with my mates. But I'm not complaining or calling for an easing of restrictions because of it. Did you perhaps mean to say that the Karens are the ones carrying on like spoilt brat pork chops, demanding restrictions be lifted because they're missing their mates?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I'm sure you've just got your words wrong. I'm dreadfully missing catching up with my mates. But I'm not complaining or calling for an easing of restrictions because of it. Did you perhaps mean to say that the Karens are the ones carrying on like spoilt brat pork chops, demanding restrictions be lifted because they're missing their mates?

sorry Doonks, yes. I expect that everyone will miss their mates, but the selfless people like yourself are willing (and "happy") to do the hard yards for the greater good

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
I thought we locked them up?

and anti-vaxxers? We have a no-jab-no-pay policy for children, and in some states, without jabs, they can't attend childcare
Got to catch them to lock them up.
Anti-vaxxers do not send their children to child care and many home school after that. They are a very small minority of the population.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
so you don't believe that prevention is better than cure?

you don't think we need speed limits or other rules as a form of prevention before the consequences occur then?
There is no cure for Covid 19. There has never been a cure for the common cold nor the flu, HIV/AIDS.....etc....etc...
Why be locked-down indefinitely, when there will never be a cure?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
There is no cure for Covid 19. There has never been a cure for the common cold nor the flu, HIV/AIDS.....etc....etc...

you say indefinitely like it means a long, long time.

As far as I'm aware, you can't catch AiIDS from someone sneezing near you.

Having said that, there was mass panic about AIDS until we learned more about it

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
The world will one day return to normal an we can do what we love with our mates

image.jpeg

Reactions: MarkV and teleroo

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
you say indefinitely like it means a long, long time.

As far as I'm aware, you can't catch AiIDS from someone sneezing near you.

Having said that, there was mass panic about AIDS until we learned more about it
Well the Premier's of WA, Vic and Qld (nobody hears about Tasmania anymore :rolleyes:) and SA have let ACT residents in (LOL) are well on the path of "a long, long time".
But you can still catch every other Corona Virus going around, yet we've never shut down the nation for any of them, ever before. NSW has had 54 deaths from Covid 19 this year!

Reactions: Ret-ro

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Well the Premier's of WA, Vic and Qld (nobody hears about Tasmania anymore :rolleyes:) and SA have let ACT residents in (LOL) are well on the path of "a long, long time".
But you can still catch every other Corona Virus going around, yet we've never shut down the nation for any of them, ever before. NSW has had 54 deaths from Covid 19 this year!
SA and Qld only. But only if we haven’t been to NSW in the previous 2 weeks. We can’t go to WA or Tas, have always been allowed in NSW and nobody can come back from Vic.

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
I have a simple thing to say: and tbh I really think it’s black and white.

The Lockdown in Melbourne and Victoria worked. You went from 700+ cases a day to 15 yesterday. That does not happen by a random effect.
I think it’s a highly privileged opinion to say that we shouldn’t need lockdowns cause I’m healthy and I can beat it.
I guarantee I’m younger that all of you and I don’t think like that. All it takes is for it to get into an aged care facility and you are signing any number of death certificates.
No flu virus or HIV (in the modern times) has ever behaved like that

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
HIV and Influenza also aren’t going to kill you in two weeks.
HIV is also contacted from generally “high risk” activities. Last time I checked catching a bus next to someone with a runny nose shouldn’t be high risk.

No we didn’t have a lockdown for HIV, Only 30+ years now (longer than I have been alive) of STI teachings and practise a about safe sex and needle stick injuries.
They are also making huge strides in removing it from active cells, essentially curing it.

Reactions: cruisin along

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
No we didn’t have a lockdown for HIV,
As a teenager just beginning to make the foray into human physical intimacy I can tell you there sure as hell was a lock down for a period of time. But a self imposed fear driven lock down, kept current and in your face terrifying by the grim reaper ads. Might have been different for those already in relationships but those of us spending all our time thinking about and not yet doing it backed the hell off quick smart! At least until we got the “this is how you protect yourself” message.

It was a very different scenario though.

The lockdowns were necessary in Melbourne to stop the rapid growth rate, it’s a pretty pointy curve - up and down. The actions stopped health care being overwhelmed, and I am sure that saved lives in the general population but also in healthcare workers.

Border shut downs were a smart early move.
And they made the difference when we weren’t sure where the virus was, and we didn’t have the testing ability or the understanding of how effective quarantine may be.

At some stage we need to start at least reopening borders in our own country. Even if it’s being open with quarantine conditions. In fact, for WA I can’t see McGowan allowing it to open WITHOUT quarantine conditions. The question remains...how do we get from here to there?

Are we just waiting for a vaccine?
Will good treatment plans that reduce the death rate be enough?
Do we need Australia-wide eradication?
Do we need world-wide eradication?

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
Another depressing read and a reality check on travel to more distant and risker destinations.

Air New Zealand chief executive Greg Foran says quarantine-free travel between Australia and New Zealand is unlikely to resume for at least another six months, bursting hopes of a proposed "trans-Tasman bubble" opening before March next year.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/...sman-flights-until-march-20200919-p55x9i.html

Reactions: cold wombat

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Another depressing read and a reality check on travel to more distant and risker destinations.

Air New Zealand chief executive Greg Foran says quarantine-free travel between Australia and New Zealand is unlikely to resume for at least another six months, bursting hopes of a proposed "trans-Tasman bubble" opening before March next year.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/...sman-flights-until-march-20200919-p55x9i.html
Doesn’t have much faith in the vaccine - talking about reinfection?

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Yeah well he is right, lots of people here won't take the vaccine according to surveys..

Once it impacts their trip to Bali or Centrelink payments it will hopefully force them to reconsider.

But yes we are far away from how we were 9 months ago

Reactions: sara777 and LMB

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Anti-vaxxers do not send their children to child care and many home school after that.
years and years ago I worked for the NSW Dept of Education. 1 of the things I had to do was administer the Application For Home Schooling policy and procedure. The Application form was at least 15 pages long and required quite detailed content in order to be approved. It wasn't easy to get approved. I don't know if the process has changed (as I said, it was years and years ago), but I can't see hordes and hordes of people being able to easily fill in a form and get the rubber stamp. Lots of people however, may simply hold their kids back from school and just "say" they're Home Schooling.

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
I hope they open soon.... a northern hemisphere winter is calling.
there has been a number of opinions expressed in this thread, and many others, that the chances of us being able to visit a Northern Hemisphere winter destination in 2020/21 is very very small indeed

Reactions: Roymond

Chop

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 6, 2017
Jindabyne
there has been a number of opinions expressed in this thread, and many others, that the chances of us being able to visit a Northern Hemisphere winter destination in 2020/21 is very very small indeed

So is winning lotto.... but people still buy tickets

Reactions: LMB

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
USA has gone from 22k cases to 47k new cases in just over two weeks.
These figures are incorrect. It implies that US cases are going up when they're not.... the lowest figures since June were on the Labor Day weekend (5,6,7 Sep, sub 30k, with the lowest being +25,325), when testing was very low.
There hasn't been a sub +22k figure since mid June. In the last month, figures have been between 40-50k, DOWN from a maximum of 70k+ in mid July.

Chop

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 6, 2017
Jindabyne
have you bought yours?

Not to USA/Canada .... but I am working on a plan

I purchased flights from Canberra to Brisbane to attend the AFL grand final 1 month ago ... and that seems to have worked ok (so far)

“If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.” ― Yogi Berra, former New York Yankees catcher

Reactions: CarveMan

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
These figures are incorrect. It implies that US cases are going up when they're not.... the lowest figures since June were on the Labor Day weekend (5,6,7 Sep, sub 30k, with the lowest being +25,325), when testing was very low.
There hasn't been a sub +22k figure since mid June. In the last month, figures have been between 40-50k, DOWN from a maximum of 70k+ in mid July.

so still a rate that’s about 150 times greater than Australia’s?

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Domestic travel is goin orf this long weekend in Japan. Hakuba is jam packed.

I can't see a quick return to international holiday travel but a bunch of crew have been able to get back here from Oz. Not sure why skichanger is knocked back. What visa do you have? Should be able to get your neighbors or friends to arrange to clear the snow, empty out your water pipes and do a general check during the winter season so I couldn't imagine it being that big of a deal in regards to your properties.

Iwatake car park was chockers as was Tsugaike.
119785246_3643719182328247_9056530624700203847_o.jpg

Reactions: Sandy and skiflat

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Not to USA/Canada .... but I am working on a plan

I purchased flights from Canberra to Brisbane to attend the AFL grand final 1 month ago ... and that seems to have worked ok (so far)

“If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.” ― Yogi Berra, former New York Yankees catcher
cool, but I was referring to a lottery ticket

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
cool, but I was referring to a lottery ticket
Every week.

My weekly donation to the local community with a minuscule chance of a side benefit.

As for Northern Ski season - after waiting then thinking we were well on track for being able to go Perth to Canberra I booked flights, accom and lift tickets. My flights were cancelled on me. So my plan for Japan is to release my apartment for local bookings bit by bit when it is confirmed we can’t go. Have the cash for tix ready to roll, and if we get the nod then push the button.

Even if a travel bubble is set up and borders open there are a lot of variables. Who is flying? Are there seats available? What health hoops need to be jumped through and is there access to those hoops? (Ie: Japan requires a negative test, can we get that test..)

It’s a sweet sweet dream to keep us looking forward with positivity.

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
I juts found out over Twitter that an Australian has been given permission to leave Australia to travel to the US to visit her fiancé who she hasn’t seen in over 6 month.
No idea about her getting there or back, just that she has been permitted to leave

for those that need it, keep applying and keep pushing: you’ll get it

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Yes I also heard of people being granted LEAVE to go OS, but having no guarantee of return date, due to flight caps.

@skichanger I am curious to know what visa you were hoping to travel on. I can make some guesses but don't want to in case I'm wrong.

I suspect having a long term visa option (ie fiance above would have a fiance visa) would be the required thing.

Ie @sara777 doesn't currently have her home country passport, suspect as only a Aust passport holder she would struggle to leave right now.

But it might be easier when she gets the home country passport back. Because having only a 90 day tourist visa will be problematic to the Australian Govt when people overstay.

Reactions: sara777

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
I have a simple thing to say: and tbh I really think it’s black and white.

The Lockdown in Melbourne and Victoria worked. You went from 700+ cases a day to 15 yesterday. That does not happen by a random effect.
I think it’s a highly privileged opinion to say that we shouldn’t need lockdowns cause I’m healthy and I can beat it.
I guarantee I’m younger that all of you and I don’t think like that. All it takes is for it to get into an aged care facility and you are signing any number of death certificates.
No flu virus or HIV (in the modern times) has ever behaved like that
But to weigh in. You could manage Australia without the Border joke. You need to keep the groups of folk who actually would be at risk safe. Victoria went from 9000 active cases to 3500 in weeks. AT 657 Vic 136 NSW and QLD 17 and dropping around 80-90 a day..

In a few weeks the pressure for boarders will be on. Just not in wave 1 , we never really shut the borders we just managed them better. In wave 2 the premiers who shut borders just got pretty lazy really. It is not right that the NT can zone QLD as a CV hotspot when there were 10 cases. It is also not correct for QLD to zone all of NSW as a CV hotspot. It is just not their job to do that.

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Not sure if its been posted, but here is the travel exemptions advice page for the Aus Govt.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

In summary......

Australians and permanent residents
If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

• your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • your travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business (including export and import industries)
  • you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • you are travelling on urgent and unavoidable personal business
  • you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
  • your travel is in the national interest.

Not a lot of wriggle room, for good reason at the moment.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Yes I also heard of people being granted LEAVE to go OS, but having no guarantee of return date, due to flight caps.

@skichanger I am curious to know what visa you were hoping to travel on. I can make some guesses but don't want to in case I'm wrong.

I suspect having a long term visa option (ie fiance above would have a fiance visa) would be the required thing.

Ie @sara777 doesn't currently have her home country passport, suspect as only a Aust passport holder she would struggle to leave right now.

But it might be easier when she gets the home country passport back. Because having only a 90 day tourist visa will be problematic to the Australian Govt when people overstay.
Yes, exactly! I am waiting for my country of birth passport (I lost the citizenship back in 2011 but applied to get ti back in July, and currently waiting to have the paperwork done - a lengthy process, given the circumstances). But I'd still have to leave on/with the Australian passport - as I do not ordinarily reside in Europe. So not sure if dual citizenship will help me.
But hoping I can spend Easter with my family - one can only dream!

Reactions: dawooduck and LMB

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Domestic travel is goin orf this long weekend in Japan. Hakuba is jam packed.

I can't see a quick return to international holiday travel but a bunch of crew have been able to get back here from Oz. Not sure why skichanger is knocked back. What visa do you have? Should be able to get your neighbors or friends to arrange to clear the snow, empty out your water pipes and do a general check during the winter season so I couldn't imagine it being that big of a deal in regards to your properties.

Iwatake car park was chockers as was Tsugaike.
119785246_3643719182328247_9056530624700203847_o.jpg

Looks almost the same as January!! ;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass