Question When is it time to quit?

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I've made a decision [ with input from The Boss] that this will be my last ski season and most likely my last major snow camping effort too.
Personally I'm not perturbed as I've had off&on about 40 good years doing winter "stuff" and it's time for something new or different.
This is also about money, I'm at the stage of my life where I no longer have enough money to keep this up.
So how do the rest of you see things happening in your own futures?
Call time when ready or do you intend to ski until you drop dead on a slope somewhere??

I don't need many souvenirs of my time spent so I guess most of it is now for sale while it still has some value.
I’m doing it until I physically can’t any more.

So sorry to hear that this is the choice you want to make, but if it’s not a priority (forced or otherwise) it is what it is

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Moondog55

One of Us
Mar 3, 2014
At that age don’t the drugs required to keep you skiing cost more than the lift pass :D

Im slowly suffering greater effects of an arthritic condition that I can see will one day take the shine off bc touring etc, but then my plan is to adopt a ski-bum-van-life and day trip. Luckily my other half is not fazed so that’s a bonus
Maybe I just need more and stronger drugs?
Nah; I'll just sell off all that I can and put the cash towards my other passion, high quality speakers building and stereo vinyl Might pay for a new & bigger router and a table saw and a new turntable.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I won’t dob them in but I did help facilitate a certain forum member make this transition this week.
I already have alpine skis and boots and take a group lesson on that gear each year just for shits and giggles. I do laugh at myself though when I forget and go to drop a knee mid slope or diagonal stride across a flatter section and find that nope, heel is firmly attached. TBH I find alpine more fatiguing on my legs than tele at this point in time but I guess that is just 20 years of tele muscle memory against what is (for me at least) a new range of motion,

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Interesting question and dilemma. I am over 50 but happen to have a 1 year old son. My skiing has been social only 1 x a year with family and my wife for the last few years. She was a beginner when we met. So, I used to ski hard for the am when she was in a lesson and then ski gently with her after lunch. A perfect compromise as I got older. However, with a 1 year old I now want to teach him and hopefully get 15 or so years with him until he's bored by Dad!. So, my enthusiasm has grown again and look forward to 15 or so years of being a better skier than him until he leaves me for dead!

Bring it on :)
More like 12 years till he leaves you for dead.

Skiing is one of the few sports you do with your kids. We have had so much valuable time on snow with our now adult kids. That time is one of the things that has made us very close to them. But get him some lessons to avoid frustration and conflict.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I love the cold and the pantomime of getting dressed up in all the gear. when my body says no (or my eyes), I will still enjoy vicariously reveling in the atmosphere
Join DWA.

Worst case is get a sitski and a guide. I keep threatening DH that this is what we will do with him if he does not get a hip replacement.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Join DWA.
x2
Worst case is get a sitski and a guide. I keep threatening DH that this is what we will do with him if he does not get a hip replacement.
my observation over some years with DWA is that I would never match the physical ability of the sitskiers I’ve seen

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Skiing is one of the few sports you do with your kids.
true
it’s ok until the little buggers become big buggers and bugger off
even worse, they move o/s
last ski I had with offspring was 2019, although Covid would have prevented anything after that
she and husband were talking about moving to Vermont, which I strongly support - no skiing in Georgia

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
true
it’s ok until the little buggers become big buggers and bugger off
even worse, they move o/s
last ski I had with offspring was 2019, although Covid would have prevented anything after that
she and husband were talking about moving to Vermont, which I strongly support - no skiing in Georgia
Part of the condition of us paying for ski holidays is they humour us for at least 2 hrs of family skiing per day.

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
My plan is to keep skiing for as long as I can. I’ll be out for the rest of this season thanks to a complete ACL tear and a near-complete MCL tear, but the plan is to pony up the cash for private lessons next year to regain my confidence. At this point, I’m glad we got the military Epic passes and I at least got to ski for 3 days before blowing my knee on the first run of our 4th day. I at least feel I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of the lift pass.

The Greater Balding Yeti is on the fence about going back down to the snow as a family in September for his birthday. I’ll be about 6 weeks post-ACL reconstruction by then, but I’ve told him we should go. I know I won’t be skiing at all, but I’m happy to pull up a seat somewhere early in the day and let the rest of the family have fun. Being down there and living vicariously through others is better than being miserable at home.

Also, if I say yes to GBY’s birthday jaunt, I’ve got a better chance of him approving one for my 40th birthday over the June long weekend next year. ;)

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
x2

my observation over some years with DWA is that I would never match the physical ability of the sitskiers I’ve seen
It isn't about being extreme. It is about being able to get out there on the mountain. There are 2 options, independently skiing or having someone else drive the sitski for you. I am pretty sure that in our household that if my mogul skier became skilled at it and drove the sitski with me as passenger I would go a lot faster than I would if I were just skiing.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Can't imagine not getting a season pass and heading up the hill at least a day or two a week. Too much of my social life is entwined with skiing to just give it up. Getting out on the mtn with the grandsons is off the chart special.

I hit the gym in Sept-Oct-Nov to make sure I'm fit enough to have fun. I guess once that starts having insufficient effect for skiing the entire mountain, I'll tone it down on my terrain choices.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I am surprised @Normo has not chipped in here. He commented to me, and I am sure to many others, that his doctor is happy with him when he is skiing and not so happy when he is not. All that exercise helps all the health metrics.

So what i need is a note from my Doc stating i need to ski in Australia for 15 weeks a year and to spend 2 weeks a year in Japan skiing.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
In answer to the OP @Moondog55 i am feeling the effects of age this year and a failure to come into the season with exercise on & weight off.

Mortality & age is rearing it’s ugly head.

But I drop into the doc just before i leave for the snow to stock up on cholesterol tabs & he makes the comment I’m in his healthiest patients group & going to live in excess of 100 years.
So, you're only going to have a 5 min break waiting for me at the top of the hill instead of 10-15 ?

I'm going to keep going until I can't.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
I am surprised @Normo has not chipped in here. He commented to me, and I am sure to many others, that his doctor is happy with him when he is skiing and not so happy when he is not. All that exercise helps all the health metrics.
Bad time to call me into this thread after 2 weeks getting through a bad bout of Covid! :)
Hopefully, I’m now on the mend and looking forward to getting back on the hill.
That aside (and apart from the odd injury) skiing has provided me with my main health boost over the last 20 years. Doing a big season in Oz and grabbing as many overseas trips as circumstances have allowed, has kept me in much better shape than I otherwise would have been.
I haven’t heard a good enough reason to give up yet!

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Part of the condition of us paying for ski holidays is they humour us for at least 2 hrs of family skiing per day.
my boys are all adults, but they are happy to accompany us to Canada if I'm heavily subsiding the holiday - we typically pay for car hire and the accommodation.

And I tend to be very competitive, so they always happy to be the competition

Billy Jack

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2016
Had a major stroke late 2018 At the age of 66. Was initially paralised down left side and blind in left eye. Docs said I would never ski or surf again. Told wife I might not walk again. Fortunately my Physio said “yeah, nah” to that. Lying in hospital bed all I could think about was getting back on skis and surfboard. Skied 90 days in winter 2019, 76 in 2020, 71 in lockdown shortened 2021 and 37 so far this season. Surfing is still a challenge but I have no intention giving up trying.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Had a major stroke late 2018 At the age of 66. Was initially paralised down left side and blind in left eye. Docs said I would never ski or surf again. Told wife I might not walk again. Fortunately my Physio said “yeah, nah” to that. Lying in hospital bed all I could think about was getting back on skis and surfboard. Skied 90 days in winter 2019, 76 in 2020, 71 in lockdown shortened 2021 and 37 so far this season. Surfing is still a challenge but I have no intention giving up trying.
you could have surfed on Lake Jindabyne this morning

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Referring back to the OP, I'm disappointed to see such a dedicated snow camper and skier deciding it's time to give it away. I have observed Moondog hauling his extraordinary rig out of Pretty Valley and have been impressed by his degree of commitment and energy. But with age and degrees of physical imperfection, we all have to be prepared to compromise. Then, money becomes the other factor. I'm of an age where I'm over camping in the snow, unless it's an exceptional mission. Or right by a cosy hut. I'd rather save up for 9 months to stay on mountain or in the valley and drive up (eg. next week in Mt Beauty at cheap motel, booked months ago).
But I realise petrol is becoming another factor. But people still camp out in Mt B and drive up each day (Goski, for example) so it is possible on a budget. We have to be flexible and compromise. You can do it, Moondog, even if it's not quite the pristine experience you once had. You've got the gear, make the adjustment and get up there. I'd like to see you somewhere out near the old Headwater tow.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
bloody doctors eh :thumbs:

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Thanx chris although I'm not sure I deserve the compliment.
More stubborn than tough I reckon.
Also Parks Vic are not at friendly or as tolerant as they've been in the past which is another factor.
That is becoming a factor almost everywhere. Can’t do what I used to do anymore, though what I do now is much cheaper, but less convenient, and there is the $5k or so I used to spend in the local economy which they obviously don’t care about. Big picture v small picture perhaps.

Skiing is one of the few sports you do with your kids. We have had so much valuable time on snow with our now adult kids.
I've seen this over and over and it's now happening in our family. We've had 3 generations skiing from a time when our kids were tiny, right up until now, with Mrs LTB's father still going strong at 80 and our youngest at 19.

My grandfather's youngest brother, who lives on Vancouver Island, BC, downhill skied every year until he was 91 (about 5 years ago when we were in BC), when he had a fall on some icy snow and his (much younger) partner told him in no uncertain words that it was time to hang up the alpine boots and stick to the XC (in winter, on the gold course resort he lives in) Incidentally, she also said he should stop horseback trail riding at that time unless he wore a helmet (he is a full on Marlborough Man)

I'll be sliding with Mrs LTB until we drop (less bumps each year though), but I feel there's still plenty of "hardcore" skiiing left, with at least one or two more visits back to AK and lots more BC heli time to be had as well.

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
I fractured my L3 vertebrae and have a bulged disk last Saturday night - slipped on the stairs (sober - true story). have spent the last 10 days gobling Plexia, codeine, oxys and valium, along with 2 morphine shots...I can't feel a thing, but I know my back is firetrucked at the moment and there is nothing i can do for it other than rest.

Doctor reckons I'll be good for our 6 week Canada trip in December - time will tell.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I've seen this over and over and it's now happening in our family. We've had 3 generations skiing from a time when our kids were tiny, right up until now, with Mrs LTB's father still going strong at 80 and our youngest at 19.

My grandfather's youngest brother, who lives on Vancouver Island, BC, downhill skied every year until he was 91 (about 5 years ago when we were in BC), when he had a fall on some icy snow and his (much younger) partner told him in no uncertain words that it was time to hang up the alpine boots and stick to the XC (in winter, on the gold course resort he lives in) Incidentally, she also said he should stop horseback trail riding at that time unless he wore a helmet (he is a full on Marlborough Man)

I'll be sliding with Mrs LTB until we drop (less bumps each year though), but I feel there's still plenty of "hardcore" skiiing left, with at least one or two more visits back to AK and lots more BC heli time to be had as well.
I am jealous, in the nicest possible way.

I am also aware that the softer snow underski in Japan will keep my knees in better condition.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
It isn't about being extreme. It is about being able to get out there on the mountain. There are 2 options, independently skiing or having someone else drive the sitski for you. I am pretty sure that in our household that if my mogul skier became skilled at it and drove the sitski with me as passenger I would go a lot faster than I would if I were just skiing.
More than 2 options. A lot of variation skiing independently depending on the terrain and snow conditions involved. Someone who has been a hard charger may have a harder time dialing it back though. As compared to someone who learned to ski as an adult and didn't become an advanced skier chasing powder (or whatever expert terrain) until after age 40 or 50.

My hiatus from skiing after learning as a young teen was essentially over 25 years. By the time I had the time, money, and interest to do multiple trips to big mountains I was over 50. I ski far better at 65+ than I did at 55+ with the help of lessons and mileage in the last decade. While I'm now enjoying deep powder, trees, and bumps, I still have good fun on groomers too. I enjoy trips to my home hill (runs take 2-3 min) as well as trips to destination resorts in the Rockies. All my trips involve traveling and/or skiing with friends at this point.

I have every intention of continuing to get on the slopes to make turns for a few more decades. My parents were active pretty much into their mid-90s. Last international trips were when they were in their 80s. They didn't travel solo by then, but thoroughly enjoyed group tours or going abroad with a travel companion. My father had far more energy and appetite at age 90 than most of the 80 year olds from the USA when I went with him for a trip to Beijing for a big college reunion.

Last edited:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Sure as heck been helping mine! Be very interesting to get a full work up when I get home from this season.

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
I was 40 when I moved to Japan to ride. Thought I would get in 10 years or so before the body wore out. 16 years later and I love it more than ever and probably ride better than ever. I am in the gym most days in the off season which helps. Good diet and healthy lifestyle. First kid got sponsored this year. Second kid is a little ripper too. I have found my place in the world. I'll keep going until I break.
My advice is to sell up everything, move to Japan and live a fulfilling snowlife on the cheap :)

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
But with age and degrees of physical imperfection, we all have to be prepared to compromise.

This.

Some examples for me in recent years:

Ski parts of the day instead of all day, with more frequent rest stops and coffee breaks
Moguls consuming more of my energy than before
Parking in Mt Beauty and catching the bus to Falls when there is a need to fit chains, hands getting arthritic

Reactions: currawong

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
When most of your friends have become old and ski very little thats when it gets harder.
I hate the whole palaver of travelling up but once on the snow still love turns in soft snow.
Very sad when it happens in your 40's!

I have had many friends drop by the wayside over the years, its amazing how some stop moving so young (health issues aside, some have been medical). I do find that every time I hit the ground off a bike, its harder than the last time. I think its climate change related.

My motto has always been, do what you can with what you got. It never gets any easier.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
When most of your friends have become old and ski very little thats when it gets harder.
I hate the whole palaver of travelling up but once on the snow still love turns in soft snow.
Beauty of a small, local resort. Common for me to just head to the lift with no one in particular to ski with and just link up with people as the morning goes on.

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Maybe I just need more and stronger drugs?
Nah; I'll just sell off all that I can and put the cash towards my other passion, high quality speakers building and stereo vinyl Might pay for a new & bigger router and a table saw and a new turntable.
Have been watching the thread waiting for OP reply.

Many good suggestions already... for your specific point, there are always ways to mitigate the cost if you're keen enough - e.g. more fuel efficient car, ride sharing, self catering, lodge m/ship etc

I'm in the "never say die" camp FWIW but seeing the above, perhaps you could connect it with DJ sets/gigs above the snowline somewhere? I'm sure the odd ski day would do you good.

Perhaps be the next DJ Otzi/Eddy or Hansi?

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
I'm 65 and have always considered a Thelma and Louise with my bestie when we're in our 80s. Nice way to go. Seriously, I want to take my grandkids skiing, so will continue at least until I can do that (5 and 2) and also while the body holds out.
Does that mean inviting Brad Pitt along?
overseas ski travel also becomes more problematic as you get older. Insurance Premiums go up as you income disappears
I think a lot of people tour in AU so that the entire cost and premium things is reduced.
I don't think I will ever ski internationally ever again and have never planned to in recent years -I can think of a single trip to France, and maybe a Haute Route - and that's it.

• Haha
Reactions: Bindo

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Very sad when it happens in your 40's!

I have had many friends drop by the wayside over the years, its amazing how some stop moving so young (health issues aside, some have been medical). I do find that every time I hit the ground off a bike, its harder than the last time. I think its climate change related.

My motto has always been, do what you can with what you got. It never gets any easier.
I find that after 40, it's amazing how everyone talks abut that one injury or weight gain that basically means that by 50, it's a tiny hard core elite that say tours, never minds skis. There are 30 year olds with injuries too, that are in the same position.

After about 45, I found that comfort did start to play in to it too, in so far as anyone can be uncomfortable. I will push myself but more often than not, won't want to.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using