Question When is it time to quit?

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
I find that after 40, it's amazing how everyone talks abut that one injury or weight gain that basically means that by 50, it's a tiny hard core elite that say tours, never minds skis. There are 30 year olds with injuries too, that are in the same position.

After about 45, I found that comfort did start to play in to it too, in so far as anyone can be uncomfortable. I will push myself but more often than not, won't want to.
Nah you're a boy.
50 yo is the prime of life, got too hard to carry a heavy pack about 64yo. was my last big snowcamping trip.
Wouldnt now consider doing Bogong.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
I first went skiing at 19 with two mates (brothers), both of whom had skiied before. Every time I fell over (which was a lot), at least one of them was waiting uphill to do a hockey stop and spray me with snow. They haven't skiied since as far as I know. I've been waiting 45 years to get my revenge and this year it was going to happen - they're both retired (early) and at leisure, and both had promised to come skiing with me after they retired. So this year I put the hard word on them, and both begged off claiming dodgy knees. Bugger!

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
find that after 40, it's amazing how everyone talks abut that one injury or weight gain that basically means that by 50

People tend to slow down a bit once they got their 40s too. So it isn’t necessarily the injury that is the main reason but it is the main excuse to start letting it slide.

It’s also a lot harder to get that lost fitness back once at that age.

In my late 40s now and almost 3 decades of body abuse in the army as a grunt. My knees and back are shot (along with a bunch of other ailments) and I’m already on a 50% disability pension from my injuries. I find I need to stay on top of my training or it degrades fast and is difficult to get back. And although I’m only in the reserves now and also not doing the young grunt stuff I still need to do a fair bit of jumping and crawling in the field still.

An example is many years back I stopped squatting and deadlifts at the gym because it was too painful. Ended up getting a trainer and physiotherapist who both had me back into squats working on form and the pain issues resolved. Now I’m doing Olympic lifting as part of my weight training.

Somewhat resolved. Knee was pretty achy after last weekends epic skiing.

Edit: I should add I’m a bit of an all in type guy too. So I’ll throw myself fully immersed into the activities I do. If I’m not riding, skiing, running, somethinging I start to go a little mental.

Terrain makes a lot of difference, entwined with fitness. Whenever I go to Mt Baldy, I have hero level stamina compared to days at Apex. The generally mellow slope angles - grooed or trees - make for a much easier day. Slower fixed grip chairs help too.
A real estate agent in Osoyoos once tried to sell me Baldy. Some days I wish I had taken it up.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I've had epic pow days at Baldy where it felt like I owned the mountain anyway. So few people, so many trees. If it dumps Mon, Tue and Wed when they're closed, powder Thursday can be simply amazing.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
try telling some 35 year olds that!
Christ on a bike! I hadn’t even seen snow at that age. Imagine if I’d let my (rather broken) body dictate participation back then.

I’ve often said “Snowboarding saved my life” and I’m not being trite. For the love and desire to be in the mountains, surfing the hill, doing what I could I researched health options, chased up many medicos, Physio’s, PTs, Pilates classes, changed what I ate, changed my activities to preserve function and increase fitness, and just kept going doing what I could and pushing a little further each time.

At 53 I’m fitter and healthier than I was at 35. I’m also a whole lot happier. I shudder to think what 53 would look like for me if I never went snowboarding.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
I stpped doing taekwondo and kickboxing at the age of 55 due to work, then covid, and then eyes.

Now my sight has improved slightly I'm thinking about going back again - will be 59 in october

(I will get my students to wear blindfolds LOL)
Good news on the eyes.

Reactions: currawong

chrisj

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
I just got back from a few days at Thredders, first trip since the pandemic brought everything to a halt. Last time I skiied, I was a callow youth of 71, so I was a bit apprehensive about whether I still had it at 74.

For the first couple of days, I was feeling I was indeed getting too old. It was proving tiring and I was spending more time thinking "Don't die! Don't die!" than "Woohoo!".

Day three, I had an epic stack. I got up, checked everything was still working and off I went. That changed everything. I relaxed, started committing to the hill and stopped worrying about falling and suddenly all the old magic and flow was back. I hardly needed to rest after that.

It's a state of mind.

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I stpped doing taekwondo

I started tkd around 5 years ago. I wanted to add some type of martial arts to my training as well as get the kids into something too and there was a dojang 5 minutes walk away. As with my usual all or nothing approach I ended up training 4 classes a week. Then once I passed my BB there was additional BB training sessions. This year I decided to take up instructing too, so now I’m doing less classes as a student but instructing 2 a week, participating at hq training 2 a week, and there is also bb and instructor training sessions throughout the month.

Initially I thought my age and limited mobility would hold me back. The training has actually help improve my lower back mobility issues and improved flexibility. It also encouraged me to incorporate more stretching into my other training. I can get some kicks up at head level now, when I started I had to work to kick just above belt height.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I just got back from a few days at Thredders, first trip since the pandemic brought everything to a halt. Last time I skiied, I was a callow youth of 71, so I was a bit apprehensive about whether I still had it at 74.

For the first couple of days, I was feeling I was indeed getting too old. It was proving tiring and I was spending more time thinking "Don't die! Don't die!" than "Woohoo!".

Day three, I had an epic stack. I got up, checked everything was still working and off I went. That changed everything. I relaxed, started committing to the hill and stopped worrying about falling and suddenly all the old magic and flow was back. I hardly needed to rest after that.

It's a state of mind.
i wish that was all it was

but yes it's certainly part of it

Reactions: chrisj

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I started tkd around 5 years ago. I wanted to add some type of martial arts to my training as well as get the kids into something too and there was a dojang 5 minutes walk away. As with my usual all or nothing approach I ended up training 4 classes a week. Then once I passed my BB there was additional BB training sessions. This year I decided to take up instructing too, so now I’m doing less classes as a student but instructing 2 a week, participating at hq training 2 a week, and there is also bb and instructor training sessions throughout the month.

Initially I thought my age and limited mobility would hold me back. The training has actually help improve my lower back mobility issues and improved flexibility. It also encouraged me to incorporate more stretching into my other training. I can get some kicks up at head level now, when I started I had to work to kick just above belt height.
quite similar, started once a week at the local centre 5 minutes away with the kids. It was mostly luck that I got in with the olympic coach and got up to training 6 times a week.

I have actually trained with the olympic squad (or that's what I tell people - they used me as their kickbag!

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Initially I thought my age and limited mobility would hold me back. The training has actually help improve my lower back mobility issues and improved flexibility.
I have some longstanding back twinges - I see a lot of my physio
she put me on a régime of stretches, lunges and squats that turns out to be much like the exercise program I was doing for skiing before I got slack

Reactions: skull
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Christ on a bike! I hadn’t even seen snow at that age. Imagine if I’d let my (rather broken) body dictate participation back then.

I’ve often said “Snowboarding saved my life” and I’m not being trite. For the love and desire to be in the mountains, surfing the hill, doing what I could I researched health options, chased up many medicos, Physio’s, PTs, Pilates classes, changed what I ate, changed my activities to preserve function and increase fitness, and just kept going doing what I could and pushing a little further each time.

At 53 I’m fitter and healthier than I was at 35. I’m also a whole lot happier. I shudder to think what 53 would look like for me if I never went snowboarding.
Yup. I find most of the tradies and office workers I know are relatively- physically old at 35 +. Like I said many cite injuries in their 20s.

Even if they are fit to be on the tools, or play tennis once a week,they wouldn't have the inclination to walk or ski, or tour yet alone bike to work. Look at 50 year old men - the reality is many are not active.

People tend to slow down a bit once they got their 40s too. So it isn’t necessarily the injury that is the main reason but it is the main excuse to start letting it slide.

It’s also a lot harder to get that lost fitness back once at that age.

Edit: I should add I’m a bit of an all in type guy too. So I’ll throw myself fully immersed into the activities I do. If I’m not riding, skiing, running, somethinging I start to go a little mental.
There is some adjustment. I am in some ways as fit as I was in my 20s - the only difference is that I don't kill myself or try to do so. I choose activities - slow and steady wins the race. I choose when to be lazy. I can still run a kilometer in 4 minutes but don't need to or even want to.

Reactions: Marty McSly

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
If you slacken off on your fitness in your 50s & 60s, you lose muscle mass and skiing would become tough.

I skied 31 days this past northern season. Work all year to stay fit!!!!
Agreed. I currently do 90 minutes of weight training (and not little 2kg dumpbells) 2-3 times a week plus walking, rowing, and a new treadmill

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
If you slacken off on your fitness in your 50s & 60s, you lose muscle mass and skiing would become tough.

Being in good shape for skiing was what got me started on deliberate ski conditioning and general fitness after knee rehab about a decade ago. Included working with a personal trainer in the 3-4 months before ski season started for several years. I was mid-50s then. By age 60, I was probably as fit and perhaps even a bit stronger than in my 30s. Added basic free weights for bone building.

Been averaging 50 days a season in the USA, with 25+ at destination resorts in the Rockies over 2-3 trips.

Last edited:

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
I am 56 and the most important exercises for me for skiing are bodyweight squats and single fwd lunges with weights. Aerobic not so much as I rarely do more than 2 days in a row. Leg strength much more important for me IMO.

Also, skeletal muscle super important as we age. No substitute for meat protein plus core work.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I've recently started taking Enflux which elps boost testosterone production and reduce estrogen.

Testeosterone reduces as you age, but hopefully it will also help stop me crying over my ever-increasing manboobs LOL

Reactions: iagreewithhim

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
I've recently started taking Enflux which elps boost testosterone production and reduce estrogen.

Testeosterone reduces as you age, but hopefully it will also help stop me crying over my ever-increasing manboobs LOL

Are you sure ?
What is DIM?

seak

One of Us
Apr 8, 2003
Blue Mts
This must be a sudden decision - you bought some unusual skiboard / snowblade bindings off me 4 months ago.

Go on gentle XC day ski-touring trips with thermos in backpack.
Grab a bicycle - an e-bike if you must, and cruise those many Victorian rail-trails.

TechnoSki

Hard Yards
Feb 18, 2022
When most of your friends have become old and ski very little thats when it gets harder.
I hate the whole palaver of travelling up but once on the snow still love turns in soft snow.

Very good advice from you both. Now in my late 70s I train year round for skiing. Have done so for ages. Is a tangible goal to keep up my fitness. I miss the old gang, but the mountains have a magnetic attraction. It is not all beer and skittles (at times heavy traffic). But a bit of planning helps a lot, aided by forum, ski resort and weather reports. My family strongly support the skiing, even thought none of them ski anymore. Their support is my good fortune.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Are you sure ?
What is DIM?
Assists in the bodily processes used to balance estrogen levels within the body, such as preventing the conversion of testosterone into estrogen.
when my father was in an advanced stage of prostate cancer he was receiving a horrifically expensive [thanks, PBS!] quarterly injection to reduce his testosterone
I guess that’s the opposite of DIM

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
when my father was in an advanced stage of prostate cancer he was receiving a horrifically expensive [thanks, PBS!] quarterly injection to reduce his testosterone
I guess that’s the opposite of DIM
Yes you can see the positive effects of testosterone when you block it .
Have a friend my age who I gave a dose to, you get quite weak quite quickly but its has dramatic good effects on the PSA levels in cancer.

Moondog55

One of Us
Mar 3, 2014
This must be a sudden decision - you bought some unusual skiboard / snowblade bindings off me 4 months ago.

Go on gentle XC day ski-touring trips with thermos in backpack.
Grab a bicycle - an e-bike if you must, and cruise those many Victorian rail-trails.
I wish to stay married is a big part of it.
But it turns out that it simply isn't as much fun as it used to be even if white season is still very good for the health it's not being so kind to arthritic knees or bad sleep apnea

Reactions: seak

telemarx

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
newcastle, nsw, australia
Hi peeps, haven't posted for some time but felt eminently qualified to post in this thread :violin:

I'm 61 & during my fifties I got back into cycling including doing a bit of road racing. I wasn't over the top but was doing about 10k kms/year & was a competitive B or C grader. This had great effect on my skiing fitness & made it really enjoyable. I dropped weight & was much stronger.

Unfortunately I got a bit crook & had to have my gall bladder removed & that took me off the bike for a while. When I got back into it I pushed to get back to some fitness & started having issues with my piriformis that slowed me down. This ended with some minor back surgery that has only partially resolved my pain. I then had issues with my shoulder, surgery again, which basically failed. And like many, I'm sure, topped it off recently with a bout of Covid.

I'm not too concerned about the shoulder & back pain, I can still cycle & ski, albeit with some discomfort. The biggest issue is my loss of fitness. I have packed on kilos, I've always been prone to carrying a bit of weight, and now am struggling to get it off. I feel the need to exercise harder but the body is rebelling. It's all down to "use it or lose it" for mine. I intend to push through this & get some weight off & maintain a decent level of activity. I haven't skied this year but will be going soon & I know it's going to punish me. I think my parallel technique might get more of a workout than the tele turns :cry_ubb:

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
For tele one of the best things is living in a house with stairs.
Not much help if your perfect forever retirement house is single story.
Foer a long time I have lived in 2 or 3 locations. One, the one I was stuck in for 2 uears due to covid, does not have stairs. I notice the affect the lack of stairs has on my fitness. I am planning on rebuilding my Sydney house which has stairs. This will be my forever retirement house with stairs but also a bedroom on the living level for when I cannot climb the stairs.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I'm not too concerned about the shoulder & back pain, I can still cycle & ski, albeit with some discomfort. The biggest issue is my loss of fitness. I have packed on kilos, I've always been prone to carrying a bit of weight, and now am struggling to get it off. I feel the need to exercise harder but the body is rebelling. It's all down to "use it or lose it" for mine. I intend to push through this & get some weight off & maintain a decent level of activity. .....
Input is more important than output, especially when we can't exercise at the level that we are used to.. Revisit your everyday diet and work at sustainable eating to assist with your weight/fitness goals.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Hi peeps, haven't posted for some time but felt eminently qualified to post in this thread :violin:

I'm 61 & during my fifties I got back into cycling including doing a bit of road racing. I wasn't over the top but was doing about 10k kms/year & was a competitive B or C grader. This had great effect on my skiing fitness & made it really enjoyable. I dropped weight & was much stronger.

Unfortunately I got a bit crook & had to have my gall bladder removed & that took me off the bike for a while. When I got back into it I pushed to get back to some fitness & started having issues with my piriformis that slowed me down. This ended with some minor back surgery that has only partially resolved my pain. I then had issues with my shoulder, surgery again, which basically failed. And like many, I'm sure, topped it off recently with a bout of Covid.

I'm not too concerned about the shoulder & back pain, I can still cycle & ski, albeit with some discomfort. The biggest issue is my loss of fitness. I have packed on kilos, I've always been prone to carrying a bit of weight, and now am struggling to get it off. I feel the need to exercise harder but the body is rebelling. It's all down to "use it or lose it" for mine. I intend to push through this & get some weight off & maintain a decent level of activity. I haven't skied this year but will be going soon & I know it's going to punish me. I think my parallel technique might get more of a workout than the tele turns :cry_ubb:
You have done it before ,you can do it again ie lose weight and cycle.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Hmm should I run weeks specifically for retired peeps to provide companions for people to ski with?
Perhaps reserve only some of the rooms for retirees or active seniors. While my primary ski buddy is a bit older and pushing 70, there are advantages in the long run to having ski buddies who are at least a few years younger.

There was a video about an 80-something ski patroller at Big Sky several years ago. At the end he was asked for advice for seniors who wanted to keep skiing. His answer was simple. He said to ski with younger folks because peers were likely to stop for one reason or another.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Perhaps reserve only some of the rooms for retirees or active seniors. While my primary ski buddy is a bit older and pushing 70, there are advantages in the long run to having ski buddies who are at least a few years younger.

There was a video about an 80-something ski patroller at Big Sky several years ago. At the end he was asked for advice for seniors who wanted to keep skiing. His answer was simple. He said to ski with younger folks because peers were likely to stop for one reason or another.
We have one of them on site, my mogul skier, for any one who needs a serious challenge, especially through the bumps.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
We have one of them on site, my mogul skier, for any one who needs a serious challenge, especially through the bumps.
Honestly, not thinking about a senior who wants to ski challenging terrain. Although certainly a plus to have a ski buddy for a deep powder day. Mostly the idea is for have somewhat younger people around for socializing or tooling around groomers together for part of the day. Meaning adults over 40 but under 70 . . . traveling without children still in school.

Ideal is for a newbie to make a friend or two who wants to return again at during the same time period the following season.

One of the advantages of the Taos Ski Week for solo seniors is that the lessons are only in the morning. That means they can free ski in the afternoons. Often a newbie will make friends with one or more of their classmates so that they can have lunch together and/or ski a few runs in the afternoon.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
@skichanger : have you ever heard of the 70+ Ski Club in the USA? They are planning a club ski trip to New Zealand in 2023. Could be some interest in a trip to Japan at some point. I don't qualify yet, but my primary ski buddy turns 70 this summer so I've been paying attention more to their trip schedule. A member can bring along a guest who isn't quite old enough yet.

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
@skichanger : have you ever heard of the 70+ Ski Club in the USA? They are planning a club ski trip to New Zealand in 2023. Could be some interest in a trip to Japan at some point. I don't qualify yet, but my primary ski buddy turns 70 this summer so I've been paying attention more to their trip schedule. A member can bring along a guest who isn't quite old enough yet.
If you do get to Japan you will see plenty of over 70s, and over 80s skiing. The members of the Hakuba 47 seniors group ski better and faster than 90% of the others on the hill. And laughing whilst doing so. Happy bunch.

Reactions: MarzNC and RustyJ

Pete Holden

One of Us
Aug 18, 2019
I've made a decision [ with input from The Boss] that this will be my last ski season and most likely my last major snow camping effort too.
Personally I'm not perturbed as I've had off&on about 40 good years doing winter "stuff" and it's time for something new or different.
This is also about money, I'm at the stage of my life where I no longer have enough money to keep this up.
So how do the rest of you see things happening in your own futures?
Call time when ready or do you intend to ski until you drop dead on a slope somewhere??

I don't need many souvenirs of my time spent so I guess most of it is now for sale while it still has some value.
If you're in Sydney don't lose hope the Penrith indoor ski might offer some reprieve to your SDS.

Year round open and cheaper than driving 6 hours to Perisher and less tiring. I'm looking forward to it.

Who says we have to go on a ski holiday every year? The mountains are great and the alpine nature relaxing and stress relieving, but so are the ones close to our home that have no snow. And we have plenty of them all around us.

Ski a few or many times a year in indoor ski (cheap).

Climb and trek the mountains and trails around Sydney (cheap).

Go on ski holiday every 3 or 5 years (cheaper than going every year).

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
If you do get to Japan you will see plenty of over 70s, and over 80s skiing. The members of the Hakuba 47 seniors group ski better and faster than 90% of the others on the hill. And laughing whilst doing so. Happy bunch.
The "youngsters" of the Alta Wild Old Bunch are in their 70s. I remember hearing a couple of women fussing one day during late season that it was a groomer day. They clearly normally skied off-piste. They gather in Alf's (mid-mountain lodge) around 11:00 for a break. Pretty easy to spot at their usual round table or near it. Some members have patches with 70+, 75+, etc.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Death or disablement!

I turn 60 in December. Most of my skiing friends are still skiing and still go quite hard. Same with surfing. It gets harder though and a couple of injuries have slowed me down this past 12-24 months.

My body is starting to work again, so hopefully I can get my strength and stamina back up to where it used to be. Can still beat my 16y/o daughter and 14y/o son down the mountain but their endurance is starting to overtake mine. Not sure about my 28y/o old son, haven't had the pleasure of skiing with him for quite a few years. Uni and 20 something life got in the way. He's working at Buller this year so, i'm toast.

Being a Thredbo skier, I have some great role models in Frank Prihoda & Tommy Tomasi. These guys have been an inspiration to me for many years. I'm aiming to follow in their footsteps.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Thanks for this. I will look into it.

Reactions: MarzNC

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
We see lots on our mountains as well. The lunch time nap helps.

And the retro gear.

And the beer at 9am whilst sitting in the boot of your car putting your boots on.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using