Question When is it time to quit?

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
People tend to slow down a bit once they got their 40s too. So it isn’t necessarily the injury that is the main reason but it is the main excuse to start letting it slide.

WOW! I turned 50 this year and I'm in better shape than I was back in my thirties. Weights at gym three times a week, trail running around my mountain three times a week, once a week golf(walking) and a daily dog walk. I'm annoyed that Covid has stopped my overseas ski trips, I'm ready to hit the snow again.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Ha! If I had a beer at 9 on a cold morning I’d fill my boots with wee at 9:30.
There is a joke about the difference between peeing in a wetsuit and public servants doing a good job. Maybe that could be ski pants instead of a wet suit.

I must admit it was a bit of an eye opener. My parents flew gliders and I still have the baggage from never having a drink before sunset in case you got a chance to have another flight.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
WOW! I turned 50 this year and I'm in better shape than I was back in my thirties
I got pneumonia just before I turned 40
I had always been thin, but had never engaged in much physical activity
I bought a bicycle, did more walking
over time I became better-organised, got a gym membership
much more walking since lockdown started
I have no idea whether my health has improved, but it hasn’t got worse in the form of age-related ‘degenerative changes’ as the medical reports call them - other than my gp finding my hereditary high cholesterol level and insisting that I take a statin
I have three siblings - one older, two younger - all of whom have had more significant health issues

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I have no idea whether my health has improved, but it hasn’t got worse in the form of age-related ‘degenerative changes’ as the medical reports call them - other than my gp finding my hereditary high cholesterol level and insisting that I take a statin
I have three siblings - one older, two younger - all of whom have had more significant health issues
Snap on the statin.

Partner keeps telling me they’ll give alzheimers.

Are you crazy yet? Am i crazy & don’t know it?

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
much more walking since lockdown started
we all have a story - lots of fit people have health things they simply don't talk about.
A lot of it is maintenance, with caveats - look at the fit people who strap themselves up - that knee, that twinge.

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
WOW! I turned 50 this year and I'm in better shape than I was back in my thirties. Weights at gym three times a week, trail running around my mountain three times a week, once a week golf(walking) and a daily dog walk. I'm annoyed that Covid has stopped my overseas ski trips, I'm ready to hit the snow again.
Good stuff. You’re one of the dedicated. Don’t let life slow you down. I hope I continue the same path

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Snows a bit out of my financial league ATM with the family.
Instead you'll find me at the skatepark with the kids. 48, loving it.
I'll surf, snowboard, skate and flyfish mountain streams until I can't.

Then I'll fly fish lakes from a boat or somefink.
Do it until you can't.

(Aside: I was 26 when I joined this forum! Crazy shite!)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com

NEVER GIVE UP

Deb Armstrong hooked up with Taos Ski Valley a few years ago. She's obviously enjoying interviewing long time instructors while skiing with them. Max Killinger has been at Taos in New Mexico for decades. His wife Mary is still a ski instructor.

November 2018

Stuart Murphy was 86 last season. A friend of mine who is in his 70s had Stuart for an intermediate Ski Week. Stuart taught him not to be afraid of the fall line. My friend lives in Albuquerque but didn't start skiing much until after he retired. He only started doing Ski Weeks a few years ago.

Most of my friends who are going back to Taos for another Ski Week are seniors over 50, with a few over 70. They all fully intend to keep skiing for another decade or more.

Last edited:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Snap on the statin.

My Mum (another of the somewhat covid conspiracy hoodwinked) is refusing statins for similar reasons.

Turns out 3/7 of MY high school buddies are on them, and told her so. Including my friend Sarah who works in the Cath Lab saving heart attack patients at FSH. Whose Mum had a stroke in her 50s that left her in a nursing home. Her very well informed opinion was that if someone told you that a heart attack or stroke was definitely in your future and a little tiny pill a day could stop it, or at least stop the worst devastating effects, would you take it?

Umm, I think….yes!

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
My Mum (another of the somewhat covid conspiracy hoodwinked) is refusing statins for similar reasons.

Turns out 3/7 of MY high school buddies are on them, and told her so. Including my friend Sarah who works in the Cath Lab saving heart attack patients at FSH. Whose Mum had a stroke in her 50s that left her in a nursing home. Her very well informed opinion was that if someone told you that a heart attack or stroke was definitely in your future and a little tiny pill a day could stop it, or at least stop the worst devastating effects, would you take it?

Umm, I think….yes!
On this tangent of anti-medications
An article in yesterday's Age reported that younger women are rejecting the pill in favour of withdrawal and rhythm method. I was gob-smacked. I get that the pill might not suit everyone, but Vatican roulette is hardly the answer.
After penicillin, the contraceptive pill is arguably the most important pharmaceutical breakthrough.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
People tend to slow down a bit once they got their 40s too. So it isn’t necessarily the injury that is the main reason but it is the main excuse to start letting it slide.

Good stuff. You’re one of the dedicated. Don’t let life slow you down. I hope I continue the same path

I turn 65yo later this year and I'm fitter than I was 25 years ago. Skiing has always given me incentive to stay fit.... I skied 31 days this past Japanese season. I'm planning more days next season and maybe 2-3 weeks in Australia.
As you age, you lose muscle mass more quickly, so you need to maintain that.... and you need to work at that, the older you get.
In many cases, if you're completely uninjured, there's not too much excuse for not maintaining fitness.

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
I turn 65yo later this year and I'm fitter than I was 25 years ago. Skiing has always given me incentive to stay fit.... I skied 31 days this past Japanese season. I'm planning more days next season and maybe 2-3 weeks in Australia.
As you age, you lose muscle mass more quickly, so you need to maintain that.... and you need to work at that, the older you get.
In many cases, if you're completely uninjured, there's not too much excuse for not maintaining fitness.
I am 56 and not gonna lie, I am no way fitter now than when I was 30. I don't weigh much more though!

I probably only ski 5-6 days a year but I am a much better skier. Equipment has improved so much compared the the old straight 200 cm I learnt on. Just get on an all mountain 85-90 for Oz, so much more fun than carvers and miles better off groomed. Also, I am learning to ski bumps better and seek them now.

Technique is what makes all the difference as we age & squats an important exercise for skeletal muscle & balance if it is the only thin you do.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I am 56 and not gonna lie, I am no way fitter now than when I was 30. I don't weigh much more though!

I probably only ski 5-6 days a year but I am a much better skier. Equipment has improved so much compared the the old straight 200 cm I learnt on. Just get on an all mountain 85-90 for Oz, so much more fun than carvers and miles better off groomed. Also, I am learning to ski bumps better and seek them now.

Technique is what makes all the difference as we age & squats an important exercise for skeletal muscle & balance if it is the only thin you do.
I used to ski bumps a lot and I still ski them. You need to work on back and stomach muscles for this.

As you age, if you still want to ski fast and powder, you need to concentrate on technique that is efficient, so you use less muscle power.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Snap on the statin.

gimmee five years and I’ll let you know. I’m currently involved in a (non industry funded ) trial looking at low dose statin in reduction in age related cognitive decline. There’s long been anecdotal thinking that statins not only stave off big events (ami/cva) but also reduce the slow silting of your small cerebral vessels leading to microinfarcts. This is the cause of vascular dementia- much more common than alzheimers.
we are doing cognitive testing yearly on over 75’s , about 5000 with simvastatin, 5000 with placebo. Results this far are promising but the study is only half way through it’s 10 year span.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
I find this is one of the issues as you age, the injuries take longer to heal. Even now I have a few niggling injuries that are slowing me down. I'm still running and doing weights at gym but have to modify my routine around my injuries.

TechnoSki

Hard Yards
Feb 18, 2022
I find this is one of the issues as you age, the injuries take longer to heal. Even now I have a few niggling injuries that are slowing me down. I'm still running and doing weights at gym but have to modify my routine around my injuries.
I agree. Being adaptable is the key. The skiing environment changes for everyone (see other threads). Then there are things the elderly face. Like longer recovery times from injury or just a solid day on skis. So being in tune with your body is one secret to a long life on skis. Working on technique I find invigorating. And I learn to enjoy skiing slower and in control, only opening up when safe to do so for myself and others.

Reactions: Born2ski

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
My fitness improved mainly because I wanted to keep skiing after a knee injury and successful rehab (no surgery). I hadn't been doing any deliberate ski conditioning before that. I joined a fitness center, found a personal trainer, and figured out that working on balance (1-leg), flexibility, and core strength was more important than general leg strength and cardio. For protecting my knees, working on hamstrings, abductors, an adductors are a priority. Getting in better shape went along with taking lessons more regularly to be more efficient making turns. Took a few years, but the investment in time for ski trips, lessons, for enjoyment and practice paid off.

At age 66, I'm not sure I'm in better shape than 25 years ago but I know I'm in much better shape than 10 years ago. Not only for skiing but for other activities.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using