1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

When to go - 20/Jul or 27/Jul ??

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Let_it_snow, May 22, 2008.

1. Let_it_snow

Let_it_snow First Runs

Hi,

I am planning to go to Falls the week starting 27/Jul but one of the accommodations I have contacted mentioned that the week before is much quieter as it is right after the school holidays.

Does this make sense ? Or are they pretty much the same? Obviously it would be nice to get it as quiet as possible - more time on the slopes, less time on the queues etc [​IMG]

Appreciate if I could hear your opinions.

#1 Let_it_snow, May 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Gabii

Gabii First Runs

Hmm, i have no idea accomodation wise, but the closer to August the warmer the weather, who knows, might be a bit more sun around. I'd go 27/7, i usually go around this time and it hasn't been bad at all.

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My rule of thumb says that 1st week of august is typically the best of the season as far as snow goes. weeks either side are next best, etc.

School holidays are very busy. There is a dip in-between school holidays and august. So if you count week beginning 27/7 as 1st week August, you advisor would be right. I don't think the difference should effect your enjoyment. At worst if you or kids are taking lessons it could mean bigger classes.

Personally, i'd take the later date for more snow reliability, and possibly more sunshine

4. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

Im with Currawong-or I used to be (even though Ive booked aug again).

My pick for a prebook is last two weeks July through first two august. July the weather can suck but the Freshie gods may bless you more than any other time. August, at least you know you are probably up for the best cover.

5. The Stig

The Stig Hard Yards

We were first timers last year and had an absolute hoot at Falls Creek. We even started planning for this years trip EVEN before we left. Unfortunately given that we are locked in to school holidays we are booked to be up there shortly, if things don't improve dramatically it going to be a case of having to make a decision on taking a chance and going to Falls, or giving it a miss.

If you can be flexible, then August is the go. I'm even planning a sneaky quick long weekend boys trip in August.
    Hmmm Note to self - must remember to tell Mrs Stig about this some time.

6. Virginia

Virginia First Runs

Stig, if you are free sometime in August and the wife is at home...we should catch up !!!!!

7. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Given the snow conditions this year I would leave it as long as you can, so I book the second week.