When will CP access road open up this year?

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
And get onto NSW DPI - Recreational Fisheries to talk to RMS to have the road open for fisher people.

It would also help if NSW DPI - Recreational Fisheries schedule their Gone Fishing Day earlier than normal to be 5 October rather than the 2nd Sunday in October.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
So what's the best way we can somehow all put an email out to the RMS crew to get moving ASAP for backcountry enthusiasts. It might not happen this year but would be good to get a head start on next year!

See below:
No-one in RMS Southern Region management knows that this is a concern. It's not a thing to them. It will not change by whining here on on FB (well, not by doing that alone). I'd lead a charge but am way to close to this given where my substantive role sits, it would be inappropriate. If someone asked me to help though I would tell them:
  • If you would like to effect change, treat it as a serious issue and do something.
  • You are trying to change hearts, minds and management priorities and habits of people who deal with 000's of issues a year, road fatalities, projects worth hundreds of millions of dollars, traffic committee complaints about gutter conditions on a roundabout in Bowral, random requests by Government (the Minister for Transport is Bega, the Deputy Premier Monaro), staff issues, commercial issues, program funding issues, asset failure matters, environmental conditions on sites, community outrage over stuff, serious injuries, contractual disputes, project approvals, etc, etc all day every day. You have to make 'open this road two weeks earlier makes all the difference' be a valid and reasonable argument - the cheapest way to manage the road would be to leave it until it melts in December, so many in RMS potentially think they ARE opening it early and don't get the 'issue'.
  • Compile evidence about desire and need for access (who? What user groups? why are they important? Where do they come from? How many of them are there? Why do Parks want them there and RMS want to facilitate this access? How will they be safe? How will this be managed?)
  • The road is a dedicated snow and ice risk road between June LWE and Oct LWE. The risk doesn't disappear on the Tuesday - how will this be approached? How can RMS's potential concerns be addressed?
  • Correlate access with local tourism.
  • Get support and feedback from local tourism businesses, the Chamber of Commerce, CP management, Outdoor Guides, Perisher, the cafe at Eyre, NPWS, anyone and everyone. Get them in writing. If you want to put together a social media campaign, get some actual advice on campaign management and work out what you are asking people to be worked up about and what you want them to do (ie, not just complain). An outdoor business owner is the current or past head of the Jindy CoC.
  • Recognise that CP have a lease over part of the road that provided access until the end of the October Labour Day LWE and any earlier dates than this are subject to agreement with CP.
  • Work out how you are going to let those people that can influence this change, aware of the issues you have and the social media support there is.
  • Work out what concerns RMS are likely to have, and Parks. Work out how to address these concerns.
  • Expect a process, with some to and fro.
  • Think carefully and in a considered manner about what you are asking for and why, and why it matters.
  • Align with key Transport/RMS and NPWS policy items on customer service, 'customer at the heart of everything we do', Parks' similar ones
  • Where are the opportunities for good news stories for local politicians and Parks and RMS? How will you facilitate this positive process?
  • What will the outdoor community give to assist? A few hours vollie work making the access track or lookout safe for the non-skiing visitors? Something? Anything?
Good luck.

The key is not the road clearing crew.

I’m not sure anglers are the approach. Spencer’s is pretty high for early season.

Reactions: Craig B

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
1A483C76-16BB-4ABA-99D2-9D27C6884EC9.jpeg
Ok..Team Bears can hear the sooking......perhaps we will speak to our contacts in the Mitta. Valley and fit out the D4 with rubber tracks....and truck it up to KNP to quell the unrest from the unruly mobs gathered in Perisher ...we can no longer stand the whining from those backcountry warriors!

Now...has anybody seen the D4?Please report in so we can save the day?

But we need it back shortly.as much fire protection will be necessary in comming weeks!

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I’m not sure anglers are the approach. Spencer’s is pretty high for early season.

Probably true.

But I keep finding fisher people at Spencer’s earlier than bc folk.

The trout were up in Perisher Creek about 11 September this year despite the creek being completely snow covered on the West side of the West bridge.

Reactions: Belly

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Here are a few pics taken end of last season...... nowhere near as much on the ground at 1830 ASL (about) this season....but there is a similar amount up on the range and peaks. My judgement when comparing the past 2 seasons is that the prevailing winds this Winter differed in strength and direction from last year. Same here at Moonbah.

Please open road asap as by the time it opened last year there was significant melt. (Noting that it was opened to the Spencers gate initially so it was just a case of tour up over Guthries and to wherever....and we did).

Pics at base of Eyre.....

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I had a look from the top of Mt P today. The road looks clear to spencers creek, but couldn’t see beyond there. Barriers still closed to cars at perisher. I might ride my bike up the road from perisher tomorrow, see how far I can get

Reactions: skifree and Belly

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I guess so. Just seems to be getting later and later each year. Gone are the days it was open on the Long weekend.
Snowfalls are getting later and later too. I remember closing weekends that weren’t skiable, or just half FV. And the LWE was very early this year.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I guess so. Just seems to be getting later and later each year. Gone are the days it was open on the Long weekend.

Charlottes new lease gives them the rights to the road until the long weekend, which is new this year, 2 weeks later than the old lease.

So I would assume all other things being equal, you could expect the road to open 2 weeks later than it has in the past.

edward roberts

Hard Yards
Aug 13, 2017
Went up there today on bike gate is closed but not locked at Perisher - road is fully drive-able for 2wd ,narrows to one lane in a few spots. I know that if your staying at CP you could drive up and leave car at Spencers. Photo shows cover beyond Spencers gate.

Attachments

• 20181005_145948.jpg
    20181005_145948.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Charlottes new lease gives them the rights to the road until the long weekend, which is new this year, 2 weeks later than the old lease.

So I would assume all other things being equal, you could expect the road to open 2 weeks later than it has in the past.
Their old lease gave them the lift track across it. Not so much ‘rights to the road’.
Is the new lease area different?

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Their old lease gave them the lift track across it. Not so much ‘rights to the road’.
Is the new lease area different?

No, I think the area is the same. However, road clearing from charlottes entrance road to the turning circle can only commence once the mountain has closed for the season, so clearing to the turning circle will be two weeks later.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
No, I think the area is the same. However, road clearing from charlottes entrance road to the turning circle can only commence once the mountain has closed for the season, so clearing to the turning circle will be two weeks later.
Yeah that sits with my understanding

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Road still closed at Perisher but clear to Spencer’s creek. As the above poster mentioned, plenty of places only a single lane. Spencer’s onwards has heaps of snow. Doesn’t look like anything has even been started as far as clearing goes. Heavy machinery still parked at the back of the carpark. Maybe they will make a start on a Monday? Photo below is at Eyre, bit of a snow wall still and snow covering half the road.

DDEE2237-A32A-4B7E-B5B9-09004BB61A2A.jpeg

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Though looking back at pics, I rode to Spencer’s creek one year ago tomorrow. The snow was deeper last year. The road was open to Charlotte Pass one week later, 15/10/17. So if they get going this week....

Reactions: SMSkier and skifree

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I rode my bike up the road to Spencers Creek today as well. In previous years there has sometimes been damage to the road visible that will need fixing before they can open the road. Presumably this damage this is caused by a combination of oversnow transport and the weather. However this year the road looks pretty good condition, so shouldn’t need any work

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Its not the time required to clear that is the issue. Remember last years RMS boys in big toys video.

Pretty sure they'd get it open in a days work if they got the gear up there.

No reason it couldn't happen a day or two after the long weekend. Always used to.

@Boutros - i heard a rumor that the real reason this is not happening until snow thins is because there is a concern with leaving vertical snow banks on the uphill side opened up liability. Encourage the road jump etc. Any truth in this?

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
Its not the time required to clear that is the issue. Remember last years RMS boys in big toys video.

Pretty sure they'd get it open in a days work if they got the gear up there.

No reason it couldn't happen a day or two after the long weekend. Always used to.

@Boutros - i heard a rumor that the real reason this is not happening until snow thins is because there is a concern with leaving vertical snow banks on the uphill side opened up liability. Encourage the road jump etc. Any truth in this?

It's a factor from the discussions I'm aware of @Snow Blowey. They're reluctant to leave snow cliffs so adds to the clearing cost when they need to get an excavator up there to shave the edges back. I think it comes from a few times they've spotted parents letting their skids toboggan toward the road oblivious of the 2-3 metre drop onto pavement. Unfortunate side effect of today's fear of potential litigation.

Clearing happening this week. All RMS staff and contractors on a week's break last week but scheduled to start today or tomorrow. Hopefully the rest of the way to Charlotte's is assessed as not needing much work and they knock it off as well as the little bit to Spencers.

Famos

Early Days
Jun 1, 2018
It's a factor from the discussions I'm aware of @Snow Blowey. They're reluctant to leave snow cliffs so adds to the clearing cost when they need to get an excavator up there to shave the edges back. I think it comes from a few times they've spotted parents letting their skids toboggan toward the road oblivious of the 2-3 metre drop onto pavement. Unfortunate side effect of today's fear of potential litigation.

Clearing happening this week. All RMS staff and contractors on a week's break last week but scheduled to start today or tomorrow. Hopefully the rest of the way to Charlotte's is assessed as not needing much work and they knock it off as well as the little bit to Spencers.
What is wrong with these people? I sometimes hold out little hope for the human race ! All we can hope for is that natural selection takes it's course.

Reactions: Craig B

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Looks to be a dusting up high on the cams. Anyone got any on the spot updates yet?

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Might have to go for a tootle and look see after long breaky.

26 mm rain at P overnight will have helped clear the road but not helped the snow pack we’d like to access from the road.

Only 10mm rain at T Top Station overnight bodes well.

Edit; mls corrected to mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skichic2

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Thanks for the update.

So how far have they got up the road @skifree
Well i was a bit damp and cool by the time i walked up to the Gap from the gate back at Perisher in front of i think The White Spider lodge. And the breeze was blowing a little more up at that level. So I turned round there. I should have taken up a hard shell, softshell didn’t quite cut it today.

If they started Monday they should be tidy to Spencer’s. But I’m thinking RMS & Police will not bother to inspect & clear the road for use until after this weather blows thru.

So at a guess open by Friday arvo.

Reactions: SMSkier and Craig B

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
Well i was a bit damp and cool by the time i walked up to the Gap from the gate back at Perisher in front of i think The White Spider lodge. And the breeze was blowing a little more up at that level. So I turned round there. I should have taken up a hard shell, softshell didn’t quite cut it today.

If they started Monday they should be tidy to Spencer’s. But I’m thinking RMS & Police will not bother to inspect & clear the road for use until after this weather blows thru.

So at a guess open by Friday arvo.
That would be nice, as I drive down tomorrow night!

Reactions: skifree

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Hmmmm do I drive up from Vic on Friday on the hope it's open on Sat? Or wait another week, and let more of the cover melt away......
If it’s not open use the Kozi chair or go out of Guthega.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Finally the warriors can relax,draw breathe....bitumen Access has been completed...The freeway is back to the Sidecountry!

Not much work required now to bag a few lines....quick burn up to CP. T Circle ⭕️ and fasten Skis....
Perhaps a bridge required so there is no need to risk the treacherous river crossing below!

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Finally the warriors can relax,draw breathe....bitumen Access has been completed...The freeway is back to the Sidecountry!

Not much work required now to bag a few lines....quick burn up to CP. T Circle ⭕️ and fasten Skis....
Perhaps a bridge required so there is no need to risk the treacherous river crossing below!
I'd settle for a ski carpet from the river back up to the circle, that last 400 can be life sucking.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass