When will Japan open for Tourists post Covid 19

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
My best friend has booked a trip to Shiga Kogen this December with her teenage son. For her sake, I will nominate 17 December 2022. Personally, I’m hoping that I can get in by late December 2023!

Reactions: skichanger

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
I'm going with spring 2023, 1st April. The overseas ski cohort don't have a great reputation in a few places. Unwarranted for sure, but a few bad apples etc.
Didn't Japan have a huge season with high visitation due to the captive local market? Much like Australian tourism during our border closure.

It doesn't matter who is sitting on the chairlifts and sleeping in the beds as long as they're a tourist from somewhere.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Japan is a perfect two week holiday for many Australians. 10 days skiing.
4 days faffing in Tokyo or Kyoto etc.
14 days isn't feasible for North America or Europe.
Those destinations require a dip into annual leave approaching a month.
Which leaves scant leave for July school holidays, interschools etc.

I'm an optimist, I say they'll open 1 Oct 22.

I respectfully disagree that NA needs more than 2 weeks. While not ideal, you can still fit a fair bit in 2 weeks. Yes, flight time is an extra 5 hrs beyond flying to CTS (less to Tokyo) but once you are there its comparable.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015

I respectfully disagree that NA needs more than 2 weeks. While not ideal, you can still fit a fair bit in 2 weeks. Yes, flight time is an extra 5 hrs beyond flying to CTS (less to Tokyo) but once you are there its comparable.
Its not just the 5 hours of travel time its the additional timezone acclimatisation.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Europe is easier, I find, as the time difference is only 5-7 hours. the 12 hour opposite timezone of the US just wrecks me. (with the caveat that I've figured out how to do it if in the pointy end of the plane, but thats only work trips)

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yep, hopefully they sleep ok on the planes! Not looking fwd to the 5hr LAX stopover either, but least we've got a direct flight from LAX to Aspen...
Will 5 hrs be enough?

I've been watching some horror stories (on youtube) at LAX recently with domestic connections.

Hope its improved by winter.

Reactions: Kash and elSpike

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Will 5 hrs be enough?

I've been watching some horror stories (on youtube) at LAX recently with domestic connections.

Hope its improved by winter.

Yep, Delta actually gave us a two flight options, one with 2hrs, one with 5. Hard to imagine 2 would suffice. Flight lands at 6am so hopefully not too bad but I know LAX is a shocker.

@elSpike I'd forgotten about the US jetlag thing. That will be a joy with young kids! first world problems. Our time diff b/w Europe is 11-12 in winter, much less from Singers.

Reactions: elSpike and Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yep, Delta actually gave us a two flight options, one with 2hrs, one with 5. Hard to imagine 2 would suffice. Flight lands at 6am so hopefully not too bad but I know LAX is a shocker.

@elSpike I'd forgotten about the US jetlag thing. That will be a joy with young kids! first world problems.
Pre-covid Friends of mine were given a 140 min window to clear customs get bags etc. Then transfer over to a Eagle air flight to SFO.

Their travel agent told them it would be fine, they'd be able to grab a coffee .
They missed the connection by yonks.
Ended up staying the day at LAX as the Eagle flights were all full. Finally got to SFO and then drove to Tahoe.
arrived after midnight.

• Sad
Reactions: Kash
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
How does guessing when borders might be open is fun ?????
Horses for courses I guess
If you guess this year, you get to enjoy your optimism. If you guess next year, you get to enjoy wallowing in your misery. If you don't guess at all, you get to enjoy being a sourpuss!

Reactions: skichanger

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Didn't Japan have a huge season with high visitation due to the captive local market? Much like Australian tourism during our border closure.

It doesn't matter who is sitting on the chairlifts and sleeping in the beds as long as they're a tourist from somewhere.
Not in Niseko.
Ok maybe the hotels and ryokans got customers, but my little 3 bed upper village apartment had 0 nights rental. 0. Every since we left in March 2020. But the bills keep rolling in. You still need snow clearing, power so the pipes don’t freeze up, and of course “management fees” and Japanese Tax/rates etc.
It’s been an exxy ride.
Luckily we can ride it out.
Many others cant

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Not in Niseko.
Ok maybe the hotels and ryokans got customers, but my little 3 bed upper village apartment had 0 nights rental. 0. Every since we left in March 2020. But the bills keep rolling in. You still need snow clearing, power so the pipes don’t freeze up, and of course “management fees” and Japanese Tax/rates etc.
It’s been an exxy ride.
Many others cant
I hope you had someone come through to air out ect during the green season too. Mouldy summers... :eek:

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Not in Niseko.
It’s been an exxy ride.
Many others cant
Sorry to hear that.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Always bit more challenging with kids
Heaps more. There’s no rule that says kids, especially littlies, have to enjoy their long, tiring day in buses, trains, planes and airport queues. On the law of averages, the exact opposite is most likely.

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
if this Japan winter is closed to independent visas , what are the group Ski Tours that are on ?

this one is 6 days, 3500CAD but good for b.c as well as on-field.
pity its not in Yen which is still at a good rate...

Interested to look at tours if you can post, cheers

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
if this Japan winter is closed to independent visas , what are the group Ski Tours that are on ?

this one is 6 days, 3500CAD but good for b.c as well as on-field.
pity its not in Yen which is still at a good rate...

Interested to look at tours if you can post, cheers
Are they associated with a Japanese Travel agent? I have not looked at it in detail. But my understanding is that the current tours can only be operated by Japanese travel agents.

Reactions: essjaywhy

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I hope you had someone come through to air out ect during the green season too. Mouldy summers... :eek:
Who knows…
That’s the difficult part of not being able to visit and eyeball your property. There is a lot of trust in the management.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

Yes, Japan had a huge season snow wise. Huge snow doesn't necessarily attract huge Japanese crowds, because there's "too much" fresh snow. High visitation rates? Not especially. And like usual, hardly anybody around during mid week.

Captive local market? What captive market? Of the 5 flights I took out of and into Japan (US), maybe 80% were Japanese. i.e. Japanese were traveling as tourists to the US, since they were allowed to reenter Japan.
"Much like Australian tourism during our border closure." The border closures in Australia were both ways, in Japan there was no border closure either way for Japanese from October 2020

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Yes, Japan had a huge season snow wise. Huge snow doesn't necessarily attract huge Japanese crowds, because there's "too much" fresh snow. High visitation rates? Not especially. And like usual, hardly anybody around during mid week.

Captive local market? What captive market? Of the 5 flights I took out of and into Japan (US), maybe 80% were Japanese. i.e. Japanese were traveling as tourists to the US, since they were allowed to reenter Japan.
"Much like Australian tourism during our border closure." The border closures in Australia were both ways, in Japan there was no border closure either way for Japanese from October 2020
Uh ha, thanks for clearing that up for me. I erroneously thought Japanese residents couldn't leave and were thus holidaying inbound.

Reactions: elSpike

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
This thread is supposed to be a bit of light hearted fun so taking it for what it is. For those of us missing out on our Japan ski season fix, it is nothing compared to those whose income stream has dried up and remains dry while Japan fartar$e around with their open dates. Feel for all of you accom owners and others impacted.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted soon. On the plus side, judging by what has happened in oz, it will return with a massive vengeance and you'll recoup some losses with increaed prices etc. Accom near/in the nsw resorts has doubled in price this season with all the pent up demand, and i doubt it will reduce materially next year.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com

Taken

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I have updated the Op with peoples dates If I have missed you and you have chosen a date not already taken reply to this post.

For those who seem to not understand this sort of "book", you need to pick a date that has not been already taken by someone else.

Reactions: Kash and Tanuki

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
How many nights accom do we get at Chalet Myoko for winning pls @skichanger?!
I am still thinking about that. Big ask to expect that sort of prize for something that is free to enter. Accom before Christmas or in March at either lodge, happy to offer a discount or some time on snow with my mogul skier.

I was thinking about 5000 yen voucher at The Avenue, the restaurant at Chalet Madarao. Or a days ski rental. But many would not be able to claim those.

Getting to ski with me at Perisher in Augest or September is another option. ROFL But we may not know the outcome by then.

Maybe a Chalet Myoko t-shirt.

Happy to have other business owners contribute

Reactions: M_G

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
I am still thinking about that. Big ask to expect that sort of prize for something that is free to enter. Accom before Christmas or in March at either lodge, happy to offer a discount or some time on snow with my mogul skier.

I was thinking about 5000 yen voucher at The Avenue, the restaurant at Chalet Madarao. Or a days ski rental. But many would not be able to claim those.

Getting to ski with me at Perisher in Augest or September is another option. ROFL But we may not know the outcome by then.

Maybe a Chalet Myoko t-shirt.

Happy to have other business owners contribute

Haha, im just kidding ;) I would like to think you'll be at capacity when the country opens! you should be selling chalet Myoko shirts. Thats a pretty cool brand.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using