When will Japan open for Tourists post Covid 19

rikedwards

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2012
Adelaide, SA
I am still thinking about that. Big ask to expect that sort of prize for something that is free to enter. Accom before Christmas or in March at either lodge, happy to offer a discount or some time on snow with my mogul skier.

I was thinking about 5000 yen voucher at The Avenue, the restaurant at Chalet Madarao. Or a days ski rental. But many would not be able to claim those.

Getting to ski with me at Perisher in Augest or September is another option. ROFL But we may not know the outcome by then.

Maybe a Chalet Myoko t-shirt.

Happy to have other business owners contribute
Any prize is very generous!

Lets just hope that Japan is open soon to ensure that operators such as yours are able to survive these closures!

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Haha, im just kidding ;) I would like to think you'll be at capacity when the country opens! you should be selling chalet Myoko shirts. Thats a pretty cool brand.
I know but all of those are things that I would actually be happy to give away.

We do sell the t-shirts at the lodge but there is now limited numbers in various sizes. The logo and the name were the original ones from the previous owners. To good to change.

Edit: Now I am thinking some Natto and crickets. Any other Japanese "delights" that maybe I could include?

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
I know but all of those are things that I would actually be happy to give away.

We do sell the t-shirts at the lodge but there is now limited numbers in various sizes. The logo and the name were the original ones from the previous owners. To good to change.

Edit: Now I am thinking some Natto and crickets. Any other Japanese "delights" that maybe I could include?
Silk worms
Fermented squid guts
Both available in Nozawa, book in and give them a try

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The DFAT web page has some interesting things to say about the current travel situation in Japan.

Is this correct that tourists cannot go there at present unless they are
part of some organized tour run by an approved tour operator?
I would prefer to travel independently to and in Japan on my own budget and ski in Hokkaido using my own ski gear.

Last edited:

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
The DFAT web page has some interesting things to say about the current travel situation in Japan.

Is this correct that ski tourists cannot go there at present unless they part of some organized tour run by an approved tour operator?
I would prefer to travel independently to and in Japan on my own budget and ski in Hokkaido using my own ski gear.
Hai. We are all waiting patiently for independent travel.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hai. We are all waiting patiently for independent travel.
Switzerland, India, Iran or Spain may have to be plan B.

Oh wait a minute DFAT have a Do Not Travel alert for Iran even though it is basically a cheap , cheerful , interesting and friendly country to visit in my experience and they have a lot of ski lift skiing options .

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

Is this correct that ski tourists cannot go there at present unless they part of some organized tour run by an approved tour operator?
Yes it's true..... It's currently mid summer.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yes it's true..... It's currently mid summer.
Is anyone running a tote on this decision? It’s going to be a big when the day is announced.

I suspect some of the popular Aussie travel websites will start crashing in the first 24 hours….
Fun time! :p:cool::whistle: :cheers:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Is anyone running a tote on this decision? It’s going to be a big when the day is announced.

I suspect some of the popular Aussie travel websites will start crashing in the first 24 hours….
Fun time! :p:cool::whistle: :cheers:
Have a look at Turkey for plan B.I am keen on that kind of plan B.A week in Istanbul and five or six days or so at a Turkish ski resort.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Um read the first post in this thread,
Okay then, after checking from start to end, no one has taken the Autumnal Equinox, 23rd Sept.

So, please put me down for 23 Sept.

It’s also an official public holiday - if that counts for anything?

Cheers Skichanger, all.

I suspect I’m being wildly optimistic - but we need to start planning, or won’t happen, will it?
Short of a very late Spring, Pow-less dash?

Reactions: skichanger

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
An interesting development for re-entry to Japan.
Provided you have completed "fast track" in the MYSOS app , including uploading vax cert and test result form, and your MYSOS result is BLUE, you NO LONGER have to do a TEST ON ENTRY TO JAPAN!!!!!!!
This is one of the last hurdles for normal entry to Japan.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
December 25, an xmas present that is not KFC.
@skichanger you could add bee larvae to the prize hamper. Comes in jars. in Japan in some rural areas. From what I have watched on YouTube, it is very much an aquired taste.

Reactions: skichanger
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

freddypow

Hard Yards
Jan 7, 2016
Jumped the gun and booked flights in january for 50,000 Qantas points return from Sydney via Cairns.
Hoping they open up by 29th of December or I could be screwed haha

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Its an opinion.
However its interesting and I can see his point.

tldw.

Japan doesn't have enough covid hospital beds and the government can't force hospitals to take covid positive cases.
Until this changes. The opening of the borders will be delayed.

Reactions: Richard and Tanuki

yourmate

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2014
Its an opinion.

tldw.

Japan doesn't have enough covid hospital beds and the government can't force hospitals to take covid positive cases.

Yes the key is for Covid to be "reclassified" as endemic.

Reactions: Annabuzzy and Donza

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
The people I speak to in Japan (less than a handful) are all optimistic the rules will change before the end of the year. Not including @Sandy who I haven’t needed to ask, as his thoughts are on the forum for all to see!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The people I speak to in Japan (less than a handful) are all optimistic the rules will change before the end of the year. Not including @Sandy who I haven’t needed to ask, as his thoughts are on the forum for all to see!
The people I speak to are the other end of the spectrum.
I'm the most optimistic one.

*these crew have lived in japan > 20 years.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Its an opinion.

tldw.

Ditherers.
I'm looking into just transiting in Tokyo and flying on to Europe now just in case. Which means I'll have to work out 2 itineraries instead of one. :violin:
1st March 2023 reopening btw.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Its an opinion.

tldw.

I guess that's plausible (That the Japanese govt thinks hospital beds and medicine are the issue), but for the the Japanese govt to use that logic doesn't make sense.

The whole point of foreigners being triple vaxed means that they are VERY unlikely to be hospitalised, so that counts out the need for beds for foreigners.
OTOH, if they are concerned about foreigners bringing COVID in, infecting Japanese who need beds, then they should just stick to the Blue/Yellow/Red country system and retain the pre-flight test.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I guess that's plausible (That the Japanese govt thinks hospital beds and medicine are the issue), but for the the Japanese govt to use that logic doesn't make sense.

The whole point of foreigners being triple vaxed means that they are VERY unlikely to be hospitalised, so that counts out the need for beds for foreigners.
OTOH, if they are concerned about foreigners bringing COVID in, infecting Japanese who need beds, then they should just stick to the Blue/Yellow/Red country system and retain the pre-flight test.
You used Japanese and doesn't make sense in the same sentence.

I think his explanation does stack up. Coupled with the 2 rating of Covid vs 5.

As soon as you allow mass movement of foreign people into a closed off society. I think its inevitable there will be a up-tick of case numbers. Of sorts.

However Japan looks so well postioned to combat this. If they sort their shit out.

Korea still has some stricter entry requirements as well. While Taiwan is starting to relax more and more as they come out of their wave.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Back in Aus so finally had time to update the OP. If I have missed anyone please reply to this post.

Potential prizes added. I am sure you will all be happy to receive any and all of these.

musehead

Hard Yards
Jan 5, 2016

His points all make perfect sense.

But he's assuming the Japanese government will do the logical thing.

The Japanese border restrictions have not been based on logic or science for a long time. The GOJ have shown they are not worried about being perceived as xenophobic or implementing ideas with no rational basis in science, when they decided that implementing North Korea-style monitored tourism was a good idea.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
  • Wow
Reactions: cold wombat

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010