1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you skiing this coming Oz season?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Annabuzzy, Mar 11, 2020.

1. teleroo

teleroo still looking for Thredbo in the Park Ski Pass: Gold

Selwyn refugees to Charlotte Pass this year we are. June LWE, July school hols and last week of the season.

Should be something different for us. Mostly lodging it at Perisher so should escape most of the parking dramas I hope. Plus a week in August tenting it at Sawpit Ck, up and back to CP via Perisher. They'll have to be early starts I imagine.

Aiming for 20 days here, then a five week trip to Austria in Dec/Jan assuming the world isn't broken.

elSpike, crackson, coolair and 4 others like this.
  2. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ikon could be a good option in place of MC? Not sure how much it equates to in aussie $$ but that gives you 10 or 14 days over the season if you have the chance to head to Vic for a week. Hhmm I wonder how much MC would cost for 10 days with 50% off everything beyond the first 5 days compared to Ikon base pass, might still be better option if you want the option of more days skiing after that given you continue getting 50% off day passes.

elSpike likes this.
  3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

pending life plans i wont be going next nth hemi.
    But im guessing @skichic did those maths?

i also have access to the locals Charlotte pass

chicski likes this.
  4. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have a spreadsheet. Ikon won assuming we get overseas in summer. The split over 2 years was a big decider.

elSpike and Ozgirl like this.
  5. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

My plan is to ski more days than last year and avoid broken legs and getting run over by pickup trucks.

6. Ozgirl

Dont go to america then! We only have utes here!

7. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

ecowain, kaegee, elSpike and 2 others like this.
  8. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

As per usual I have my Epic pass and aim to do 20-25 days at Perisher this winter (boys appear less keen on accompanying me for the day trips from Canberra though - and what’s wrong with 4.45am rising??). And I may try for a few days at Thredbo too :)

Snowy Joey, dawooduck, kaegee and 6 others like this.
  9. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Why so early ? I Wake up at 5 30 , leave at 5 35 and still make first lifts.

elSpike and Sage Oya like this.
  10. Lady Penelope

I think I spend a little longer doing my hair and face first thing than you. :p

cold wombat, kaegee, elSpike and 2 others like this.
  11. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Tbo, kids are booked back in the seasonal programs again.

12. craighelo

craighelo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

TC/Cadrona season pass secured, still to book kids in Sunday ski program as not listed yet for TC
    Six Fridays of school skiing with miss 6 at Cardrona, Saturdays family Ski with wife deciding to put skis back on after kids.
    Sundays and three weeks off work, training to remove 40 years of bad habits that caused me to fail Level 2 last year and pass this year.

13. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

not as many days as previous years but I’ve already been to Hakuba and Nozawa, so that’s ok
    nearly all of July is committed to USA trip for offspring’s wedding
    I’ve booked a week with Disabled Wintersport as soon as I get back - stretching the goodwill with employers, but fortunately it works with project timelines
    otherwise, some four day weekends Aug-Sep

#63 person s, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  14. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

Buller, hoping for 20 days plus again. That may or may not happen, given an already busy year plus whatever fallout comes from coronavirus. Possibly (or not) my last season at Buller for a while, so just looking for a decent snowfall year and to have some fun out there. Looking at a big school holiday stint, and maybe a weekend or two.

elSpike likes this.
  15. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Thredbo for two weeks early season with the family. Fitting into Qld school hols. Probably won't do any BC because I haven't bought my new pair of AT boots as yet. Should be getting them in NZ perhaps.
    Then: odd days here and there with work at most Aussie resorts and a fair bit of time in NZ, mainly QT area but will ski Ruapehu as well this year, weather pending Ha Ha.
    Working on work.

16. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

After stupidly not getting a season pass last year for the first time in quite some time (due to an expensive trip to Japan and investment in touring gear upon returning) I'm back on board with a season pass this year.

So, that means hopefully about 20 days on snow in Thredbo, with five of those in one hit staying in village and the rest day trips from Canberra.

I'm hoping to do a fair bit more touring when the resorts close, plus a few side country sojourns from Thredbo during the season proper.

I've also promised my 6 year old lass a few more days of skiing than last year when she only did two. So can hopefully keep my word and get her on snow and turning rather than ploughing by the end of the season.

17. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Planning for a week at Thredbo at some point - call it an interim honeymoon. Might check out some Vic resorts.
    Hoping I may squeeze a few days of MTB in at Thredbo before Easter before I change jobs. First northern Hemi we've missed in years.
    A lot has changed for us since that ring went on during our last Thredbo trip in September!!

18. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

No seasonal program for kids this year, upside of which is more freedom and the downside is weaker argument for every weekend. Also no Buller trip this year well maybe day.

So open weekend for Thredbo - gotta catch the gondola, a week in school holidays June/July, a week in September school holiday and some long weekends in between. More side country / back country and maybe even a day at Perisher ...

Then solo to Japan ... better get the planning application in.

19. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Me too!

20. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Double Giddy Up!

Hermannator and climberman like this.
  21. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Somewhere between 40 and 70 days spread across the big 5 resorts, nordic at Perisher and some BC. Ticking off my Nordic Full Cert is the goal for next season.

22. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Team elSpike will be heading back to Barry’s place (pretty valley lodge) in Falls for 12-17 July with hopeful hearts for more than the 5 runs we got to explore last season!

Love to catch up for a beer or mongrel port or two if anyone will be around then!

23. Alleve

Alleve One of Us

Going for a week in Thredbo during July school holidays. Will also ski at Perisher for a day or two as one of my mates has a daughter in the Interschools races. Definitely will also visit Thredbo for a few weekends throughout August and September. I've got to give the new Gondola a try, although slightly concerned about how it will smell considering all the comments I've seen on Thredbo's socials talking about hotboxing. The prospect of Friday Flat donuts is already getting me excited

Annabuzzy likes this.
  24. Lady Penelope

“Hotboxing”??? Please expand my vocabulary (ie WT# does this mean?).

Ozgirl likes this.
  25. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

"Hotboxing" is the practise of smoking marijuana in a confined space, as the exhaled smoke still contains intoxicants, resulting in a greater overall high than simply inhaling alone.

Alleve and crackson like this.
  26. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Things you do when you have shit weed.

Bucket bongs anyone?

27. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

LOL

28. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Baby due first week of July.......

Will see how we go from early August I guess. Little Miss made her first appearance at Buller at 4 weeks.

I’ll take the cot up there tonight or tomorrow for some social-distancing.

29. nezumi

We've got one due mid May, but they won't be heading to the snow with me - I'm taking Mr 4 away for a week and Mum is staying behind with Newbie.

Depending on what happens, I am contemplating a September trip to Hotham with the full fam to try out a club lodge.

30. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Congrats :)

Little Miss was born June 2nd and 2018 was a pretty amazing season and we skied a remarkable amount all things considered. Definitely helps having an apartment.

I think a club lodge trip in the September lull could be a good idea, and with a 4 month old things are somewhat in control....

climberman likes this.
  31. nezumi

Our first was in March 2016, so there's a decent gap between the two. My wife had a crack at snowboarding last year - unfortunately the crack was literal, with a dislocated elbow and slight fractures/chips off the ends of the bones. That said, she hasn't shown much inclination to sell her board yet, so there may still be some hope.

I figure that a Sept trip would be a nice family affair anyway, with the potential for me to actually get some lift time in, but also to hit up the Dinner Plain lift with Mr 4 if he is progressing nicely.

Alleve and CarveMan like this.
  32. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If there is decent early snow then, COVID-19 permitting, I hope to get in a midweek day or two at Buller on the way back to Canberra after attending a function at East Sale near the end of June. MrsOG and I had a few days of vacation at Mansfield just after Easter a few years back and I wondered at the time what it might be like in winter.

Alleve likes this.
  33. Stick

Stick Hard Yards

Falls - Epic Pass paid for along with Resort Access.. Mostly weekends with the occasional midweek jaunt.

I think i'm going to get skiing lessons this year.. I won a pair of skis years ago & my wife said i had 5 years to use them. Going onto year 7 i'm sure she will invoke the 5 year clause soon enough.. If i can get some lessons she will see i am going to eventually use them.

34. nezumi

I'm really tempted to do the Hotham "Brand New Day" and try skiing, given that I've never had a try of it.

35. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'm going to learn to ski this year, whether that is at Corin Forest, the indoor ski slopes or Thredbo remains to be seen.

Plus hoping for my first split-boarding adventure, and I have a Thredbo season pass - keen to see the new Gondola.

36. Annabuzzy

Yeah if enthusiasm gets the better of me I may head to Canberra to do a couple of sessions in the indoor trainer thing.

37. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's pretty cool and a great workout, and the instructor I had (for my very first ski lesson ever) seemed to really know his stuff. Jindy brewery beer on tap too

38. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

might be the only option (exception being skinning up) if the resorts shut down

39. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I’m in the Monaro at the moment and that’s what the locals are mentally preparing themselves for.

40. bengarden

bengarden One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not going to be pretty this winter. If anything things will escalate into the colder months like many diseases. I'd be mentally preparing for a lot less skiing this winter unfortunately unless you're into backcountry pursuits......Perisher centre mid-winter would be heaven for a virus. I hope i'm wrong. Not to mention the state of the economy by then for a lot of the population

41. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Congrats @CarveMan, and CG. Love your work!

(gorgeous weather here at the moment isn’t it. I’ll be hiking to the Summit tomorrow)

CarveMan likes this.
  42. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

yes after seeing a note from our ski club in Vic I have very little confidence that lifts will open as usual this winter. I really hope I’m wrong but it’s not looking good.

re the BC thing: I think it’s an excellent year to discover BC & / or XC skiing. But for the main resorts, if lifts are shut, will roads still be ploughed? Will resort approaches (in Vic) be locked?

places like Hotham & Thredbo are advantageous as they’re on highways and I think the law ensures their clearing. But this won’t apply to the others.

Hotham would be totally inaccessible from Bright without ploughing and Thredbo cut from DHG in mid winter?

I’d imagine NSW parks would gate PB & Guthega if lift ops were shut. Lake Mtn could be gated too.

so I’d guess skinning / Xc out of Hotham could be the go in Vic, and Hiking up from Thredbo Village for NSW. Unless The Crackenback runs as a single lift?

very early let’s see what happens closer to winter?

currawong and Marty_McSly like this.
  43. Annabuzzy

I think it’s waaaaaaayyyy too early to be making calls that lifts won’t open. There’s 3 full months until season opening and 4 to 5 months until peak season. A lot can and will happen between now and then

JM72, aazz, Marty_McSly and 9 others like this.
  44. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Which other nation’s response and impact has given you this confidence?

I’m hopeful and wishful but have very low expectations.

45. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

46. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We can learn together.

cold wombat, snowgum, Normo and 2 others like this.
  47. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    Hills are for sliding DOWN......not walking UP!
    :D

JM72, cold wombat, aazz and 5 others like this.
  48. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

FIFY

DidSurfNowSki, chicski and Normo like this.
  49. Ozgirl

:thumbs:

50. Ozgirl

Scotty said 6mths of 500 and under for outdoors.

Ballot for ski days anyone??