Where can i snow camp next wknd? gwinear is finished

joshd

First Runs
Aug 7, 2014
Hi everyone, i am new to the snow and i just discovered mt st gwinear this year, i snowshoe and camp out ,i hang a hammock and tarp setup that allows me to stay almost anywhere that trees are. sadly gwinear has barely any snow left and by the time i can get away next (2 oct) i doubt any snow will be there, there must be somewhere else like gwinear i can explore and set up my camp, i don't want to walk to far, i have a good 4wd ,so i prefer to drive as close as possible then walk in . any ideas ?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
If you promise not to tell anyone I can suggest Mt Pinnibar ~ 60 km south of Corryong is a very driveable/skiable peak with great views of The main range (just across the Murray) and more distance Bogong.

However, while it usually gets a good snow cover in winter (@1770m), having just returned from Hotham, I think Ol' Pinnibar will be looking pretty patchy on anything except high-southern aspects. It may suit you in that you could almost 4WD up the northern spur to the summit.

For practicality, I tend to agree with Carve Man: go Hotham /Falls until the snow has disappeared. Or take an extra couple of days and head up the Thredbo chair or head out from Charlotte Pass. ( even into November!)

Reactions: Belly

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Looks like BB just got a few cm this week, but it won't hold until Oct ( IMO).Mt. Erica is a very nice hike, with an old fireplace near a camp site not far from a good water supply just beyond the summit. Well worth a visit. Feathertop is quite a drive but could be worthwhile.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
If you promise not to tell anyone I can suggest Mt Pinnibar ~ 60 km south of Corryong is a very driveable/skiable peak with great views of The main range (just across the Murray) and more distance Bogong.

However, while it usually gets a good snow cover in winter (@1770m), having just returned from Hotham, I think Ol' Pinnibar will be looking pretty patchy on anything except high-southern aspects. It may suit you in that you could almost 4WD up the northern spur to the summit.

For practicality, I tend to agree with Carve Man: go Hotham /Falls until the snow has disappeared. Or take an extra couple of days and head up the Thredbo chair or head out from Charlotte Pass. ( even into November!)

I don't think you can get up there anymore in winter. They close the gate on the VIC side as well as the NSW side for winter now.

joshd

First Runs
Aug 7, 2014
I am in Melbourne, I liked gwinear as i can get there in under 2 hours. i am prepared to travel obviously but i just dont know enough about falls/hotham . Is that a national park area ? do i need to pay to access the area, do i need to park and get a bus into area . so many questions ,can anyone give me a location to jump from please, as in a address i can look up or should i just drive up to mt hotham resort or falls ? can i drive to lake mountain or feathertop ?. i am happy to drive around a bit once i get there but i need some specific info ,tracks in etc, where can i 4wd up ,i am not keen on going into nsw

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Yeah, stay high to get the remaining snow so maybe a walk from Diamantina Hut along the Razorback near Hotham, or to Mt Loch from the Loch car park. The next warm spell will reduce what snow cover is left considerably.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/alpine-national-park

Another option would be to walk from Windy Corner at Falls Ck to one of the higher peaks; eg. Jaitmathangs, Mt Nelse.

Note that it can snow at any time & get cold/windy/white-outed. What snow there is may be icy in the mornings and treacherous. You will need to take and know how to use a map and compass.

joshd

First Runs
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, stay high to get the remaining snow so maybe a walk from Diamantina Hut along the Razorback near Hotham, or to Mt Loch from the Loch car park. The next warm spell will reduce what snow cover is left considerably.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/alpine-national-park

Another option would be to walk from Windy Corner at Falls Ck to one of the higher peaks; eg. Jaitmathangs, Mt Nelse.

Note that it can snow at any time & get cold/windy/white-outed. What snow there is may be icy in the mornings and treacherous. You will need to take and know how to use a map and compass.
thanks zig,thats exactly the kind info i am needing, somewhere to actually drive to and walk in, i know that part of town as well as i know the moscow sewer network..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass