1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Where do you stay in Thredbo?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Scoober, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Scoober

Scoober One of Us

Just trailing off from the "owning the word Thredbo" thread. I'm interested to know where everyones stays in Thredbo.

Do you live there (I'm jealous)?
    Are you a member of a lodge (is it cost effective)?
    Do you book whatever is available (expensive)?

I wanted to come down for my second short trip this year with a mate and my dads lodge was booked out. Usually cost me $110 per night each midweek which I think is reasonable. So I looked everywhere to try and find alternate accommodation in Thredbo and its soooo bloody expensive. Minimum cost each was $240 a night most were well over $300 each per night. Is this mainly due to the tariff or booking fee put on by agencies?

I know (almost) everything snow related IS expensive but I was surprised. Anyway I moved my trip back a week and back into my budgets comfort zone!!

Thanks in advance Scoober

2. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Schuss if you can get in. Probably a bit more expensive for non members but a lot cheaper than that for members and associates.

3. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Squatters run, right in the centre.
    Have pretty good prices for the studios and 1 bedders.
    Woodridge when taking enough people to get a large apartment, and great if there is kids as its so close to Friday flat.

4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Woodridge if staying for a week, or even a weekender with a group.
    All shorter stays, or if going by myself, are with the most fabulous Ed and Judy Denny at The Denman.
    It's like going home for Christmas! :thumbs:

5. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Snowgoose apartments next to the Denman

6. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I stay at home :D

cin and ODNT like this.
  7. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

thredbo valley b&b's can often yield some value.

piolet likes this.
  8. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Chateux Transporter.

Have stayed in Squatters, very nice, have a look at the Nanooks.

Family stayed at Peak last week, also nice.

9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Had a long weekend one January in Little Nanook. Very nice indeed.

Winter prices were scatter though.

Also had a long weekend in summer at chill-out in the riverside cabins. Also very nice, but be aware that the stairs to the bedroom are more like a ladder

For a single night in summer, the alpine hotel is pretty good for a couple

10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Nicest place I've stayed in is Pilot in Woodridge.

Also stayed a few times in Ski-in-Ski-Out in Crackenback Ridge and and they are great, plus fantastic location and atmosphere.

11. chill-out

chill-out Hard Yards

Hi Im the owner of chill-out - Please note we have now renovated the lounge/kitchen area so there is a completely new staircase so it is no longer like a ladder. Plus a brand new kitchen.

ODNT, currawong and Scoober like this.
  12. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Currawong lodge (behind the Denman) where I'm a member. $25 a night (till you use up your 14 bed/night allowance, then it's $55).

13. BWG

BWG Hard Yards

YHA (down the lane from Piste Again, and easy stagger from the Denman, as i found out at SIC last year!) You need to be a YHA member to book and you can book in advance, but they also send out a newsletter with ideas on availability during the season.

14. Scoober

Scoober One of Us

My dads lodge is Redbank, So close to @BWG and @Piste Again. Been going there since I was 7, am now 35. @Piste Again How much are your annual fees (if you don't mind me asking)? That nightly rate is crazy good!!

15. Piste Again

This year was $380 and the shares change hands for around $18k at the moment

16. winter

winter One of Us

Ed spoke so highly of your family when I mentioned you last weekend.

17. winter

winter One of Us

Our family became took the plunge and became life members of a lodge 4 seasons ago.
    Cost for family of 4 $17,000
    Nightly cost in winter: $180/family of 4 Summer: $80/ family of four
    Yearly cost: $900
    Positive: Having accommodation in a perfect location and usually able to get in, when we can not we are happy to camp at the Diggings if the conditions are great.

Negative: It is expensive for guests so our friends can not join us and you can not sell your membership.

18. Piste Again

There seem to be a number of different models the clubs use.

You can trade shares freely in Currawong (they're around $18k at the moment). It's subject to board approval of the purchaser and you probably have to visit the lodge and meet the managers. The club charges a $700 fee to do a transfer.

There are 63 members and around 35 beds but once the public and members' guest bookings open in April it can fill up on some weekends. The members' booking period runs up till the end of march, so to be (close to) certain of getting a booking if you want a particular weekend then you need to get in early..

Members' guests pay between $430 and $700 for a 2 night booking depending on the number of people (up to 4), or between $1350 and $2200 for 7 nights. General public pay about %20 more than that.

For members the first 14 bed/nights are $25 (eg 2 people for 7 nights), after which it's half the members' guest rate. And a family of 4 with kids don't have to pay for the youngest kid.

I almost sold it recently but realised that as my kids get older I'll be able to get down there more often over the next few years.

The only big negative is that it makes me far less likely to visit other resorts because it makes them much more expensive.

19. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Nik and I have also stayed at Snowgoose - that was really plush, and within the village so great location also

20. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

SIC has been a great way for me to visit other mountains, albeit only a weekend a year. Love Falls, but it's nice to ski other places occasionally.

Our lodge has some similarities and some differences. It's great that there is a wide variation in club setups to suit differing needs

21. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Don't see value in lodges, agree it is there if you ski more than four or five times a year

22. Miffy

Miffy Addicted

I've always stayed at Lantern, great views, self contained and the shuttle bus stop is right on the doorstep

23. Arne

Arne One of Us

RAN Lodge currently $100 to join, $100 annual dues. $68 per night, high season.

24. Piste Again

When my daughter was younger and both she and +1 could take time off during August, we got great value from a 5-night stay (around $400 for the 3 of us, plus the $300-ish annual subs). I originally paid $12k for the membership, so I was actually financially ahead of where I'd be if I put that $12k in the bank and used the interest to pay for accommodation.

These days the sums are closer but if I can get down there more than once a season it'll be worth it.

On the plus side I'm friends with the managers (one of whom drives a groomer and is a goldmine of advice), I've gotten to know a lot of the other members so even when I go on my own I can always find a sliding buddy, and I know my way around the kitchen (though the ovens are still a bit of a mystery...)

YMMV, as they say.

25. Piste Again

We walk about 20 steps up the hill to the bus stop there. First stop on the #2 bus, you can always get a seat!

Plus they're nice managers and they let us park there to lug in and out. Lots of brownie points and good karma to Lantern Apartments from us.

26. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Actually it's $190 to join and $130 annually. And you have to be current or ex Navy, Army, Air Force (or reserves) or emergency services (police, fire, ambulance etc.) to be eligible. I got in by virtue of my long (not) and distinguished (not) career in the Army Reserve many, many years ago. If you're eligible, it's very good value.

27. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Resigned from RAN Ski Club a couple of years ago due to the attitude of some of the older members and committee members, if you've got children one of the worst organisations I have dealt with (for example no children under 4 at Perisher lodge despite spending a lot of funds on building new lodge, (get charged full membership subs but can only access 2/3 facilities of club, and my kids were members as well),kids charged at same rate as adults even if in travel cot in parents (very small) room). Also for the standard of the lodge $68 per person per night is very expensive especially when you need to do pretty much all the cleaning, firewood, etc. I'd look at other clubs before RAN.

28. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We joined the RAN Club about 4 years ago, and have only stayed at the Thredbo lodge. Had time there earlier in the school holidays this year, and there were lots of kids big and small in - no dramas at all. The resident manager for the time we were there was fantastic too (and that role/person can make it or break it I think - great job Don! :)). It is so much cheaper than anywhere else we can access and the chores were pretty easy really. If you want first lift it can be hard to go early as the chores need doing once the majority have finished each morning. Managed to get a release from +1 a few mornings to escape early, but frankly kid wrangling is a harder obstacle for an early start than a bit mopping or vacuuming. We like the big communal rooms and kitchen, but I agree the bedrooms are tiny. I am sure the submarine corps heavily influenced the architect! You do need to be seriously organised in a small space! We're going back in first week of next school holidays as they have a special rate of 5 for 3 days mid week. Will cost $780 for Sunday to Sunday for two adults and two kids all up. It's still real money but compared to commercial rates in a low vacancy season I'm stoked. Given we shelled out for season passes all we need is petrol, pasta and beer money and the 14 season keeps on giving! Can't wait and might try some weekends too if I can escape other Dad duties.:thumbs:

29. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Used to stay at Currawong on a Joe Public basis for a few years there. Great lodge but it just got too expensive. Couldn't justify it in the end.

30. Piste Again

Yeah - it's certainly not cheap for "general public" rates.

31. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

I'm a member of a lodge and as a member it's really cost efficient. For friends of members it gets a bit more expensive.
    But I highly recommend the YHA in Thredbo, one of the nicest hostels and can really help make your trip more affordable.

32. iagreewithhim

Interesting you should say that skinavy - we were there this year with 3 young teenagers and the place was full of families with kids, with no troubles at all. I think things have changed a bit in the last few years, with lots more families with kids using the place. The Perisher ban on small kids is a bit of an odd one but I prefer the Thredbo lodge anyway, despite its lack of shiny newness. And where else would you stay in the snow for $68 a night in peak season?

NewTurns likes this.
  33. sastrugi

Bans on small kids in lodges is pretty common, especially amongst the more established lodges. Every lodge has different rules though. Our lodge has about 5 weeks with no kids under 4. Which means there's another 47 weeks of the year when they can stay, including ski season.

34. sastrugi

Has the navy lodge in Thredbo been updated at ALL in the past 10 years? I haven't been in there for about 14 years, and it was pretty worn back then.

35. iagreewithhim

Well the mattress in my bunk had "2008" written on it, so that at least has been updated. I don't think it's had a major renovation for a long time and it is certainly not new, but everything is maintained and everything works. And it has a seriously good kitchen, if you're into self-catering.

sastrugi likes this.
  36. sastrugi

Done years of catering in that kitchen before!

37. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo Diggings or Ngarigo = $0/night

38. Piste Again

Cheaper, but not as comfortable and there's no shuttle bus to the lifts. And the kitchen isn't as good. I'm happy to pay $25 a night for all that.