1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Where exactly is this ?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by snowduck, Jul 21, 2008.

1. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I've been travelling to Falls since 97, but I've just come across a name on the grooming report that doesn't ring any bells.

LOWER DENNIS

Where on the slopes is that ?

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Lower Dennis is the trail that peels off to the right from lakeside and takes you to the scott chair.

It is not a run, just an access track.

3. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

What about Express Top and Express bottom? They are also on the grooming report and I cant find them on the Online or printed map.

4. currawong

I think it just means the vicinity of the top and bottom of the FC Express chair. Don't know why they bother to put it on the report. I suspect that groomers tick a box but no one filters it

5. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

currawong is spot on the money. Express bottom is the area at the end of wombats, between the load station and the ticket box. Express top is basically around the top of cloud 9.

6. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Here's another one :

OBLIQUE

Where is it ?

My guess is the trail that leads from the top of the Poma across the Maze to Wishing Well.

7. I.P. Freely

I.P. Freely First Runs

"Lower Dennis" was the comment passed between the driver & their offsider whilst on one of their escapades. Unfortunately the 2 way was on and the convo was overheard by FCRM who was writing up the grooming report at the time. [​IMG]

#7 I.P. Freely, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  8. h2oskier

h2oskier One of Us

i think you are on to something here. this could be how many of the runs were named at falls!

the slot....
    fast hoot.. (perhaps it wasnt so clear over the 2-way and they wrote it down wrong)
    big dipper...
    short and curly..

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#8 h2oskier, Sep 4, 2008
  9. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Are you sure you mean Fast Hoot and not Last hoot?

10. h2oskier

h2oskier One of Us

??(there is a run called fast hoot as well as last hoot if thats what you ment)

[​IMG]

you could say either! [​IMG]

#10 h2oskier, Sep 4, 2008
  11. currawong

fast hoot is the variation on last hoot, starting a bit above the aqueduct, where you go straight ahead (often ungroomed) instead of veering right.You can then go from the aqueduct to join wombats under the chair, or go down the parallel st track to join milky way under the chair.

never heard of oblique. where did you see it? can't see it on the grooming list

12. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

In the lodge I stay at, there is a guide to the runs of FC posted on the wall in the lounge.

Under the sublist of Intermediate Runs appears the name OBLIQUE.

#12 snowduck, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  13. currawong

it's either very old, very new or very obscure, or just a name used by a small circle

14. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I'm going to stick with my guess is that OBLIQUE is the trail that heads across the top of the Maze from the Inter Poma to Wishing Well, or does that "access" trail have another name ?

15. ski4me08

ski4me08 Hard Yards

Also, looking at the Grooming reports I have seen some other unfamilier runs.

High Five
    Dick's Folly
    Gully Glades
    Junction
    Rocky Ridge
    Tunnel Vision
    The Funnel
    Race Track
    Off Ramp
    Route 66
    Walkabout

Also, Once a few years back when Eagle chair broke down I was told to get back to my accomadation by going up Summit and down "Summit Home Trail" but when I tried to get back, I ended up at the bottom of the old Link lift t-bar. Then I had to take off by skis and hike back to Day's End home trail. Where exactly is this trail? Why was Link t-Bar and Headwater Poma closed?

16. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

ski4me08 - the summit home trail is accessed by turning left as you get off the lift and then following the cat track around towards Headwater. You can then slide down towards the top of the Y's or Expressway and there is a trail that cuts back under the Eagle chair and comes out on the home trail just next to Ory's. Follow that down to Parallel st.

As for why they were closed, I guess they figured they weren't needed.

17. Ian D

High Five - Drovers area
    Dick's Folly -
    Gully Glades - Down to Gully Chair through the trees
    Junction - Joining of Days end and the Home Trail from Cloud 9 to the bowl
    Rocky Ridge
    Tunnel Vision
    The Funnel - The Maze
    Race Track - Scotts
    Off Ramp - Off ramp of the express at Cloud 9
    Route 66 - Top of Scotts to Ruined above Sundown
    Walkabout

18. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

I believe Summit Home Trail was closed because of an accident (or accidents) at its intersection with Broadway. Still used heaps, as evidenced by the ski tracks on it.

19. Ian D

If it was closed why was my kid taken on it in junior workshops this year?

Hence I suspect it isn't closed, just have to know how to find it.

20. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

There is an orange "Area Closed" sign on a pole stuck in the snow at the start of the trail. The sign has been there for "years".

That said, there are plenty of other ways into it, eg through the trees or under the Eagle, that do not go past that sign. Which is what I would say if I was sprung on it by a patroller who wanted to be belligerent... :)

21. Ian D

I skied past the entrance to it about 3 weeks ago and didn't see the sign. Not saying it isn't there, just saying I didn't see it. Probably a lot of ways onto it that don't go past the sign as you said.

22. ski4me08

ski4me08 Hard Yards

The sign could just be up when snow conditions are not skiiable, although the trail is usually groomed and is an access trail for snowmobiles and grooming machines to get back to the village/Cloud Nine from Summit.

23. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Tunnel Vision - Short run in the trees between Shadow Ridge and Corkscrew Gully

Walkabout - My belief is this is the short trail from near the bottom of Drovers Lift that connects with the Towers Lift area.

#23 snowduck, Sep 17, 2008
  24. Ian D

Walkabout - you are right about that. Now I recall seeing it there when shadowing the kids in ski school one day.

Actually The funnel isn't the Maze, it is also a short run off lakeside, Race Track is at Ruined as well.

Oh heck, look here - its all laid out without EXACT locations:
    http://www.ski.com.au/reports/australia/vic/fallscreek/runs.html

#24 Ian D, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  25. currawong

I've got a different understanding of some of these

#25 currawong, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  26. currawong

As for summit home trail

when they replaced the summit t with a chair, they closed the summit home trail. The nasty accident that happened in that area was actually down at the tanks, but it prompted a rethink about traffic. with access to the summit a whole lot easier, they didn't want people plummeting down the very narrow home trail and bursting onto broadway.

Initially there were ropes and also barricades made of tree limbs. As people have got out of the habit of using the old trail, there are only token gestures of closing it, and I doubt that anyone cares, as long as you behave yourself. But there is little point in skiing it unless you get to the top of the Ys and decide to pike out.

Other traffic changes in that area:

Just after the start of broadway, the tank trail veered off right. It was the blue home trail and broadway was the green home trail. This is now reserved for skidoo traffic.

The skidoos cross broadway and continue up a trail whose name I have forgotten. It was the best of the set of shortcut, bupass, underpass. actually I think it night have been called overpass. There are threatening signs to keep out and they are serious about it.

From the tanks, there was a trail that went down to the village bowl, coming out at the top of the baby pomas - which is now The Tube. This is also now reserved for skidoos.

Where Broadway meets the bowl, you used to turn hard right and go down to the old ski school building and baby pomas. where the track goes now used to be the dogpatch poma. it was pulled out when summit chair went in.

Overall these changes made sense. Tank trail was full of out of control idiots. it was not as wide as broadway but a bit steeper. The problem of heavy traffic from 2 directions at the tanks was removed, ditto the collision risk at end of summit home trail.

I'm not sure that separating the skidoos was all that important, but it seems to work well.

Abandoning the runs Eagle Rock, Stilletto and Adrenalin is another matter. I don't believe there was a safety issue there at all.

27. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

This is correct

It's right of Shadow Ridge,with Corkscrew Gully on the other side. Also an area notorious for 'yellow snow'

Same here.

Once you pass beneath the chairlift on Highway 83, there's a wide alley in the trees on the left, which is very short and runs parallel to Highway 83. I believe this to be 'Off Ramp'

#27 snowduck, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  28. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

It is handy if you are skiing the Summit until lift close, and want to hook up with Orly's to get to Parallel St. Beats trying to time the last chair up Eagle! [​IMG]

#28 Ulmerhutte, Sep 18, 2008
  29. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

OK, I'm extremely curious : what was this 'nasty accident' that happened down near the tanks ?

On another point, another 'vanished' trail is the one once known as Surprise. Up until a few years back, it even had its own signpost on Days End.

30. snowobsessedgirl

snowobsessedgirl Hard Yards

Last year the bordercross was run on 'route 66', which was the area between highway 83 and nastar race course. I found these old maps which have some of these runs marked on them (you need good eyesight to be able to read them though!)

http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Old_ski_maps

The 1987 map had the most names written on it.

#30 snowobsessedgirl, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  31. snowobsessedgirl

snowobsessedgirl Hard Yards

Are Quartz Ridge and Rocky Ridge the same runs?

In relation to Lakeside: On that 1987 map you can see The Funnel, another run I cant read (its two words and under the lift line), and then Quartz Ridge, so I'm wondering what the name of the middle one is?

32. currawong

rocky ridge is skier's right of poma, just that very short section. quartz ridge is skier's left of the poma. the boundary between quartz ridge and rapunzels is very blurry. quartz ridge is the ridge between lakeside and towers. rapunzels is skiers right of towers chair, including the face of quartz ridge. (sometimes rapunzels is used to mean under towers chair, but to me this is a misnomer)

I assume the middle run you are referring to is powder keg. the funnel used to be the main run on lakeside. if you ducked through a narrow opening in the trees you got onto the area next to the lift. some time (late 80s?) they widened that bit, made it the main run and called it Powder Keg

#32 currawong, Sep 18, 2008
  33. currawong

can't remember the details, but I do know one of the people involved. A ski patroller and another person collided at the tanks. the ski patroller had massive head injuries and was lucky to survive. now fully recovered.

surprise is still there if you look, but always roped off.

#33 currawong, Sep 18, 2008
  34. FC_FTW

FC_FTW First Runs

Hey I was just wondering is anyone knows where the run "Underpass" goes?
    I have seen the old wooden sign in the home trail area near short cut and bypass I know it's not on the grooming list but the sign is still there does anyone know anything about it? [​IMG]

#34 FC_FTW, Sep 25, 2008
  35. currawong

i think underpass is the one that veers of to the right near the top of bypass. it is a lot narrower than bypass and more in the fall-line, and never groomed. if you look to your left as you ski along broadway you will see where it comes out not long after you cross the skidoo trail.

the skidoo trail was a great little run before they closed it off. fall line and a bit more width.