Advice needed Where in NSW to ski bc in a storm

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by action goat, Sep 11, 2017.

1. action goat

action goat Active Member

Hey all,

I'm hoping to go backcountry in the latter half of this week, and had been planning on 3 days in the Main Range, but it looks like there's weather coming in. Sure, it may end up that I have to ski in-bounds, but really, I'd prefer not to. I'd be interested on hearing if anyone here has ideas on where to ski in NSW in a storm, ideally with enough trees for viz, but not so tight (obviously) that the skiing sucks. The other thing is, it's gotta have some pitch. Thus far, I'm kinda thinking Guthega River area (not that it's got that much pitch). Any thoughts/suggestions?

Tanuki likes this.
  2. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Wow
    Long time no action goat
    Trees but u know that

3. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Some of the slopes into Bogong Creek off Southerly Ramshead have good pitch, not long though.

4. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

How would in the trees near TV be for a camp?

crackson likes this.
  5. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Drive around to Mt Selwyn and go bananas...bit of Resort then a flip out to four mile Hut for arvo....

Don't mention snow poles ...those NSW dudes are not sure what they are for!!

6. Ralph_Plow

Ralph_Plow Dedicated Member

Somewhere easy to bail in zero vis. Tate or Ramshead?

Chaeron likes this.
  7. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

If we're talking strictly below the treeline...

Dead Horse Gap. Easy downhill retreat (all the way to Jindy actually, which might be nice if the roads are gnarly). Shelter and good tree skiing to be found, plenty of nooks and crannies for camping if you want, if you stray from the upper carpark - South Ramshead corridor that gets the most traffic.

On the Guthega side, the flat on the Guthega River near the little footbridge over to Tate East Ridge. (-36.371809, 148.367553) Getting in and out of there is a bit steep and traversy though. Directly upstream the river narrows through a bit of a pinch or mini gorge (very hard to follow the river here, I've tried) but upstream of that, directly below Tate proper, there's another flatter area with some glades, however it is more open and presumably less sheltered, and just that little bit futher in bad weather, you usually get there by going up and over Guthega Trig.

Near lower Pounds Creek either on the north or south bank of the Snowy (near Illawong Hut & the Snowy bridge) would also be an option. The skiing on the Twynam side is a bit limited, but Paralyser north trees would have good skiing in a storm I'm sure.

And of course the Guthega power station corridor up to Schlinks?

8. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Tate / Guthega Trig area, either in the Guthega Creek arm section, or off the trig into the slopes above the Snowy / below Guthega Pondage.

DHG

9. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Active Member

LBC is awesome .You just have to get there.
    Once went in 120 km winds and was blown off our feet but was worth it.

seak and sbm like this.
  10. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

LOL slow snap.

sbm likes this.
  11. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Dedicated Member

@action goat lel...... I scanned your "Peak Ambition" article from 2008 the other day after finding the mag. Might suggest that dinking around Charlotte Pass in a storm isn't a bad option. Stuff off Stillwell, Fox Hole and Guthries all easily accessible and enough trees to make skiing by braille enjoyable. And if the weather does clear, then easy enough to get to the MR.

12. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Active Member

Can confirm Bogong Creek area/ Sth Ramshead, also Charlottes Wrights and Trapyard creek and sides of Guthega creek below Tate East ridge all good =skied these many times.

13. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

There's great yoyoing behind Whites River Hut to Schlink Pass and if the weather breaks then Gungarten to Schlink Pass is a lovely run.

seak, art and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  14. legend

legend Dedicated Member

Try The Chimneys, Drift Hill or 'Cascades" south of Thredbo. Some lovely stuff out there and very protected.

15. action goat

Thanks for all the suggestions. Good to hear my original thoughts of the stuff of the sides of Guthega River seem to be seconded. We'll see how the weather plays out though; if it's really crappy, or there's enough snow, on Thursday, we may just play in Thredbo for the day, and then if things are improving, take the final chair and head over towards LBC for the night. But as you say Rowdy, while there's some good skiin' out that way, getting out there in low viz is def a bitch.

Legend: Never skied Chimneys or Cascades before. I'd probably be unlikely to head out there for the first time in a storm, but I'd be interested to check it out. How long, roughly (and of course depending on conditions), is the skin out there?

And as for DHG, all I know about it is what I've seen from the car, but it seemed like the pitch was a bit more mellow than I might have been hoping for. But, as I said, I don't know the area; I'd be happy to hear some pointers towards anywhere in that area which might be a bit steeper.

Piolet: Yup, been a while. The short answer: fatherhood. Last year, my skiing was restricted to just one run (no, not one day, one run) off Mt Northcote.

piolet likes this.
  16. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Shh. With only 3days you could get trapped in there if you don't have the tools for zero vis to get out.

17. legend

legend Dedicated Member

It's an easy ski up the Thredbo River from DHG and camp at Teddys Hut (about 8Km) and ski the faces of Paddy Rushes Bogong and Drift Hill. The Chimney has some good runs to. All runs are mostly in trees and protected by the Ramshead Range high above.

skifree likes this.
  18. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Teddys Hut sure to be a winner!

19. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

In a blizzard Whites River Corridor is a much happier place than the upper Thredbo River, IMO

20. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

Yes, I was going to mention Cascade hut from DHG.

21. legend

legend Dedicated Member

Many years ago ('80s) we skied for a week in the drop offs in and around the area around the Chimneys and Cascades (I call the Great Divide range above Cascade Hut the Cascades) in a bad blizzard. Later in Jindabyne we heard how bad it was on the Main Range with tales of shredded tents, etc. We had wind and great snow, but nothing life threatening.

22. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yes DHG itself is pretty mellow but a nice meander.
    I would head to tate/guth trig trees myself and have in the past :)

23. zapruda

zapruda New Member

The "Cascades" Legend was talking about refers to the ridge line east of the hut. Not the hut itself.

24. action goat

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions. Only ended getting one day backcountry, but it was good one, hitting laps around Mt Tate and Guthega Trig. The weather was good but I can see how this is totally the place to be in a storm. Enough pitch to be fun, and the snow gums spaced widely enough to open up the turns. And super convenient to the carpark. Cheers!!!