Question Where in the world can I try Skijoring?

Discussion in 'Passport' started by Sydlouise, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Hard Yards

So I just got back from awesome Europe trip and the thing I was Most excited about all trip was skijoring (where a horse pulls you along on skis). We had a day lined up in Slovakia but there wasn't enough snow where the horses were even though there was plenty higher up.
    Now I really, really want to try it so hoping to tie in to my next overseas trip but not sure where I can? I see lots of posts for America but they seem to be competitions for people with their own horses etc.

2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Sydlouise likes this.
  3. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident
    Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]
    Oukaimeden, just outside Marrakech.

Sydlouise likes this.
  4. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?

I've seen posters for it in Chamonix, i think

Sydlouise likes this.
  5. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @Sydlouise - Here was a clip of my daughter doing a run during Steamboats winter Carnival - the Skijoring and Donkey Jump (skijoring to a small jump) are open to kids up to a certain age (on a first in till spots are filled basis) and they have done it a few times. For adults provided you were there during Winter Carnival you could register for the shovel race which is getting pulled behind a horse whist using a.............(you guessed it ;)).

Seriously though for US I would have thought any town that had any association with ranching etc. (so offered touristy horse riding etc.) and have a history of Skijoring (like Steamboat) you should be able to organise something. I know my kids muck around with some local kids when they are there, one of whom does horsey stuff (like barrel racing etc.) so I'm sure if you were willing to pay you could sort something - there seems to be a few US towns where its a thing.

What's your interest - the horse or getting towed whilst on skis?

If it was just getting towed you could probably look at skidoo's - backcountry getting towed up and skiing down - I reckon that would be pretty cool and its on my to do list at some stage :D

If you want me to get the kids to ask of the Steamboat local that does the horse stuff just sing out and good luck :thumbs:

Sydlouise likes this.
  6. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Quick google:-

http://www.skijorinternational.com/try-it/

Has a couple of places listed (NA and EU) - also when I was googling few hits on doing it behind dogs (bigger team - not just your own lots of places seem to do this in CO) so that could be an option unless as per above the interest was "horses" as opposed to just being towed. After late last year trying Cable Skiing for the first time I reckon it would be bloody hard work!!!

Sydlouise likes this.
  7. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Hard Yards

How fun! I've had the good fortune of going to Steamboat once before with friends but that's before I'd heard of Skijoring or had any interest in it, what a missed opportunity! Having been to Iran for skiing last year getting an American visa is pretty expensive now so I've ruled it out as a country on the near term travel plans (I'd rather go back to Iran anyway!)
    I think the attraction is the galloping horse rather than just getting towed by a skidoo etc.
    This photo is my inspiration!

[​IMG]

8. Gimp

Gimp One of Us

9. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Hard Yards

[After late last year trying Cable Skiing for the first time I reckon it would be bloody hard work!!![/QUOTE]
    You could be right! I tried cable waterskiing and my arms hurt for at least a week. But I've been towed pretty fast by a mate snow kiting (ie using my arms not my harness) and it was a lot easier as sliding on snow instead of water. But the guy who was taking us to do it in Slovakia said we'd struggle to do more than half an hour each so maybe it is a massive work out. But then he also thought the replacement 4km snow shoe trip was a full day out and it took as an hour or so so maybe he doesn't have a high opinion of tourists :)
    Thanks for that link that's going to be good procrastination material today while I daydream up future holidays.

10. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Hard Yards

Lasoo a brumby and just go for it. Australia's newest winter extreme sport.

Gimp likes this.
  11. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

My other half used to have horses (and so did my family so I used to ride as a kid etc.) so when I used to go to Falls it was on my list of things to do to try and organise a horse ride up above the snowline out of Mt Beauty (pretty sure there was an operator that did - I vaguely remember calling around years ago) - of course never did get around to it. I wonder what they would say if you asked (surely there must be a few who have done it in Oz?).

Did you check out that link @Sydlouise - that French operation looked pretty cool (and close to lifted skiing as well) so could be a side destination from Iran etc. If you look at the video linked on there website

I think you might be right - doesn't look like the reporter in the story is having much trouble at all being towed (some times he is casually holding on with one hand) - not so sure about were he stacks it and is almost run over by the horse coming up behind however LOL

I was like you - reckon I was sore for about 10 days after about 4 hours of cable skiing (but probably about as unfit as I had ever been).

Whatever you sort you are going to have to post back and let us know :D

12. sastrugi

sastrugi Part of the Furniture

The reality of skijoring would be facefuls of ice being belted into your face... just speaking from experience being in a sulky behind a pacer when I was young and getting a faceful of sand and dirt (and mushing to a lesser extent). This authentic photo is fabulous but the skier with no face protection is not ideal, I'd be advising full face protection (not just goggles) and gloves.

piolet likes this.