Question Where is the best ski places for XC?

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Hi all,
I was wondering where the best place to cross country ski is when you are a beginner and also when you are more advanced. I am a Buller regular but if there are better places to learn and then advancing.

Thanks
Jellybeans1000

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Hi all,
I was wondering where the best place to cross country ski is when you are a beginner and also when you are more advanced. I am a Buller regular but if there are better places to learn and then advancing.

Thanks
Jellybeans1000
In NSW, the nordic tracks on the opposite side of the road to the ski lifts at Perisher.
I know less about Victoria but Falls Creek across the dam is pretty friendly.

crackson is a dick.

Seth

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Lake Mountain.
Easily accessible - you can wake up in the morning and think to yourself "I want to ski today". And you can. ie: much closer than Buller.
37 km of trails, nearly all of which is groomed (a couple are never groomed - Hut and Long Heath trails). Green, blue and black trails.

How are the trails looking at the moment?

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
How are the trails looking at the moment?
tt

tt

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
I went to Lake Mountain ages and ages ago(Before the fires) and I remember good snow around there. Does lake mountain have any other major mountains around it to go skiing or is it just a lone mountain. I also heard lake mountain is a tourist magnet which is not really what I am looking for.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Lake Mountain is hell for skiers around the car park area. 50m on to the trails and you're away from the crowds and the madness. Strap on your skis and get away from it all. I hired out over 40 pairs of skis on Sunday alone, and they all came back saying they'd seen no one else on the trails :)
95% of visitors to LM are snow players, so they stick around the toboggan runs and snow play areas which surround the top car park and don't venture any further. It's just a matter of hitting the trails to escape the crowds. And week days are always much quieter than weekends.
When there are snow falls to low levels (eg: Dandenongs) there is good skiing along Blue Range Rd on the adjacent Mt Margaret (ungroomed). Just be prepared to avoid the odd Siberian Husky or Alaskan Malamute who may or may not be pulling a sled ;)

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Sounds Good, I will consider it. Where is Mount Margaret, I have heard it before but don't know where exactly it is. Apparently, Mt Torbreck across the forest is meant to be good too. Any opinions?

Cheers

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Mt%20Margaret_zpsghz6fxrm.jpg

Lake Mountain at very bottom of map (centre). Mt Torbreck at the very top.
Mt Margaret Rd (leading to Mt Margaret) shown with red thingy. To get to Mt Margaret, go through Narbethong but don't turn off to Marysville. Continue on the Maroondah Hwy for another 10 mins to Buxton, then turn right to Marysville. After (I think) 3.8 km, turn left onto Mt Margaret Rd.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
you really can't go past Falls Creek for XC, beginners to advanced. it's about five hours from melbourne, check out their website!
Yeah my friend completed the Hoppet a few days ago, It is supposed to be very good for XC over there. But there isn't too much time this season,so maybe next season. Also how long do you think XC will be viable for until there isn't much snow?

Thanks

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Thanks, apparently ski runs were at Mt Torbreck, oh well. Any other mountains in the Yarra Ranges?

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
Falls creek will be viable for longer than other areas, though if you don't mind walking 1-2km (need to check current situation) from car park, Mt Stirling offers very good skiing but the Falls Creek trails are more regularly groomed during appropriate grooming conditions.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
They were planning to develop Mt Torbreck as a downhill mountain (no accommodation) in the early 1990s. But it would have required too much slope clearing so the greenies put an end to the proposal. They got as far as installing a picnic table at the bottom, but no bench seats. LOL Would have been a great alternative for day trippers to Buller, and done a lot for the town of Eildon in the winter months.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
why don't you just check the reports on this very forum! I find your questions very strange indeed, you are aware of places like Torbreck and Mt Margaret so I am not sure why you are asking for very basic info which you can easily look up yourself.

Reactions: Jellybeans

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Cranky old b. Feeling alright?
"Not feeling too good myself" (Joe Cocker). All good really, just time to go skiing again. My son's telling me off for tidying up the garage and my wife is having a go because I didn't bring the clothes in. I said that they were still wet so she brings them in anyway and has to rehang them inside because they are still we***.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
"Time to go skiing again" is spot on, although weather today would not be pleasant in the mountains. I'm thinking I'd like to get up to Gwinear as I have not skied there (yet) this year. Snowgum says there is 5cm on the bb road, although the cams don't seem to show anything like that. Snow in the trees, however. Domestic bliss at your end. My wife wishes I would tidy the shed.

Reactions: ladycamper

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
things not too bad here, just having a sook as my son would say.

I have ditched plans to go to Stirling as it stills looks a bit marginal, so new plan is to drive up to Mt Beauty on Wednesday. I might ski in the arvo but will more likely do a bit of Ubiqitous Steve type work on our block of land.

current plan is to camp at Mt Beauty caravan park and drive up to Falls Thurday perhaps Friday. If it's real cold I'll prolly just book into a motel. Not really trying to save money, gotta justify the spend on my Macpac tent and try out my J and H sleeping bag I purchased last week.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hi Teckel,
You cant blame all non-starters on the greenies, although Im sure you know a lot more about the local poltics /histrory than me.

But having visited Torbrek several times - mostly summer admittedly, Mt Bullfight, Skene &!Matlock (Both skiing plus summer), only Skene and in good seasons bullfight would hold enough snow and be flat /large enough for some trails and infrastructure.
Downhill skiing on Torbrek (summit only 1522m) is just a joke as our planet heats up and ski seasons taper.

Its a nice 'little' pointy peak but the steepness means the skiable area would be tiny. If Stirling was deemed too marginal to be viable imagine sinking money into Torbrek!

Sorry Tecks thats my semi-green rant. Too easy to blame greens when its finance/ impracticality that stops things happening. Now naybe be should discuss Buffalo and why all govts are so slow to get things moving! SG

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Just a tip ( for the lazy)..it can be better fun to ski from Hotham (General Store) down the hill to the network of trails near Wire Plain then across the road to the Dargo lookout and around to Whiskey Flat where one can catch a bus back up the hill to Hotham. Some pleasant skiing but you are almost always aware of the road and the stinky buses. FC has many more options to get away from village, roads and vehicles onto the high plains (IMO). DP to Hotham is mostly uphill- good for fitness!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Just a tip ( for the lazy)..it can be better fun to ski from Hotham (General Store) down the hill to the network of trails near Wire Plain then across the road to the Dargo lookout and around to Whiskey Flat where one can catch a bus back up the hill to Hotham. Some pleasant skiing but you are almost always aware of the road and the stinky buses. FC has many more options to get away from village, roads and vehicles onto the high plains (IMO). DP to Hotham is mostly uphill- good for fitness!
If you have a snow camp at JB hut then skiing up hill some of the way towards Mt. Hotham, can mean coming back will be a cruise back down to JB Hut.

Reactions: skifree

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I have not done it but some people in 4 WD vehicles head north of Licola, in Gippsland, towards the seasonal closure gate near Kelly's hut and ski Mt. Reynard as a XC ski trip. Lost Plain is also in that area. That sort of thing interests me but I would need at least another participant who has a real 4 WD.

Reactions: stansi

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
I have not done it but some people in 4 WD vehicles head north of Licola, in Gippsland, towards the seasonal closure gate near Kelly's hut and ski Mt. Reynard as a XC ski trip. Lost Plain is also in that area. That sort of thing interests me but I would need at least another participant who has a real 4 WD.
My first ever ski trip was up that way using hired xc skis with mohair inserts. We were in an old Holden and just drove until the car bottomed out! We skied up the road for a few kms and just set up the Bushgear cotton tent at the side of the road! There were four of us in this small tent with no groundsheet but it was cosy! So this was my intro to XC skiing and I still love it 40 years later. I have realised over the years that I enjoy the aesthetics of XC skiing over the thrill of downhill skiing. I can't handle the mix of downhill skiers and boarders on the downhill runs, it's just too crazy and potentially dangerous. The idea of music on some of the runs is just horrendous.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I am so totally skiing at /near Mt. Reynard in white season 2019 !!. I will go and suss it out this coming green season as well as walk out to Bryce's gorge etc. while I am up there.

This may be ‘the year’ MrT.

Reynard looked Super White from Hotham Yday (Thursday 9/8). So Did whole Howitt XCSaw!

For Reynard, Would use Buller & BBaw as semi indicators for cover. A call to Maffra SES might help too - if those still go up? Were doing so late 90s - early 00’s. Could save a pointless walk??

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
This may be ‘the year’ MrT.

Reynard looked Super White from Hotham Yday (Thursday 9/8). So Did whole Howitt XCSaw!

For Reynard, Would use Buller & BBaw as semi indicators for cover. A call to Maffra SES might help too - if those still go up? Were doing so late 90s - early 00’s. Could save a pointless walk??
So many XC ski trips and so few months in the white season!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
But this year has been very long, still a few weeks left on the high plains i would say!
I am flying to India on Monday for Himalayan trekking . My season is over for XC skiing. I will be XC skiing the BHP extensively without fail next ski season in 2019 .Ubi Steve might even get back on the planks and come with me!!.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
I am flying to India on Monday for Himalayan trekking . My season is over for XC skiing. I will be XC skiing the BHP extensively without fail next ski season in 2019 .Ubi Steve might even get back on the planks and come with me!!.
I love your enthusiasm, have a great trip in the Himalaya! You are definitely living the life!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Have a good trip Mr T...will we get photos before you come back?

Tell those Indians we could do some deals in regard to picnic tables in high places for a good price!Tables more effective than prayer wheels say the bears!Do they have Bunnings in India?

Team Bears will start to sort out some tree fall areas on tracks in ensuing weeks,months.
Bears just warming up with Bungelow and Staircase so far.....
Long Spur will get its inspection to Bossiea Hill soon.....
I suppose we might even check out Paling Spur if we get motivated by mid summer!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Have a good trip Mr T...will we get photos before you come back?

Tell those Indians we could do some deals in regard to picnic tables in high places for a good price!Tables more effective than prayer wheels say the bears!Do they have Bunnings in India?

Team Bears will start to sort out some tree fall areas on tracks in ensuing weeks,months.
Bears just warming up with Bungelow and Staircase so far.....
Long Spur will get its inspection to Bossiea Hill soon.....
I suppose we might even check out Paling Spur if we get motivated by mid summer!
Give Paling Spur a haircut!!. I am coming up that way in early January 2019.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass