Where is this? No10

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
Where is this? No10

down.jpg

Ijay has the area right. The rest should be easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Re: Where is this? No10

Sidetrack. I reckon the "Ben Lomond Bliss" threads would exceed 100 pages in total. They generally go through about 30 pages each winter and 8 each summer. They've been at it for years, but it hasn't brought them much snow, poor sods
frown.gif

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden

sidetrack said:
Whoohoo 100 pages, is that a record??
I said something about 100 pages, but on rethinking, that will not be reached until end of WTFIT No 10.

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist

Spot on kieren.
First pic taken from a little outcrop about 10 metres from the top of first pitch, looking straight down. The pool at the bottom is at the bottom of the 4th or 5th pitch and is about 210 metres away. You can see the slot comming in on the left in both pics. My mate is standing on the edge of the first pitch, and yes he is clipped in.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Great pic, what on earth is going on there?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.

Gosh, mr, that was quick! I didn't think it looked much like Lake Tali Karng, which is why I posted it.

Skifree, the lake was formed by a landslide in the aptly named Valley of Destruction a few thousand years ago. The hills surrounding it are so steep, that they're still prone to slipping away.

Next photo please!

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

yeah just logged in so i wasnt waiting to jump.....I swam the lake in the buff from one end to the other many years ago. Its about half way towards the waterfall scramble on the other side from the camp yes? Will have a look for a shot.....gotta cook dinner for the rugrats though...might take a bit.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

...actually are you guys just hosting photos on here now? I registered but not sure if its gone through.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.

Well VSG, all my other LTK photos are zoomed right out so the viewer has a bit of perspective, that one is zoomed in a bit, so it doesn't show surrounding hills that might help in identification.

Also the slope is on the south shore of the lake facing north, so the vegetation is much drier than the relatively lush vegetation you walk through if you take the track that skirts the north shore. Anyway, that's why I think the photo is untypical of LTK.

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore

By the way its Tarli Karng not Lake Tarli Karng as 'Karng' means 'Lake' in the Kurnai tongue. Calling it LTK is tantamount to calling it Lake Tarli Lake....

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.

Alex. I was using the popular (and official) name used by ordinary people. Ever since (was it Alfred Howitt?) discovered the lake, this is what ordinary punters (as opposed to linguists) have called it.

But since you've bought up its aboriginal history, I find it interesting that most bands or sub-tribes of the local aborigines considered the place taboo. It's such a pretty place, but it may be remotely possible that a folk memory of the original landslide had passed down to them. Can oral tradition last a few thousand years without evolving into a completely different story?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.

If the literatal translation of LTK is 'Lake Tali Lake' (No 'r' in Tali), I can see why it irritates you, because Port Phillip Bay has the same effect on me. A body of water desinated 'Port' is by its very nature, a bay. The first explorers King and Flinders certainly thought so, because they were happy to call it 'Port Phillip'. The term 'bay' is redundant and isn't needed. But I can't change the popular name, so I just live with it.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

I disagree, you can have a port that is not a bay. For example Port Germain is not a bay. And Port Adelaide is in a river not a bay.

So there is no problem with Port Phillip Bay.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.

Except that it is not officially called 'P.P.B.' and never has been, it's always been 'Port Phillip'. But popular usage has appended the 'Bay'.

I tend to side with the people against bureaucrats and academics on most things, so I've had to accept Port Phillip Bay is the defacto name, although I continue to call it 'Port Phillip'.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

you could argue that the bay is much bigger than the port, and thus PPB is the bay where PP is located.

Can't say this is a major annoyance to me - I'm far too busy worrying about serious problems like foul swoops, different tacts and irregardless.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

Its Port Phillip on the admiralty charts which is what i go by.

AFAIK another good one is the Yarra River, which is 'River River' in English and 'Yarra Yarra' in the local tongue....

Hmm JAM...feels familiar but dunno

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

feels a bit like one of those gorges that run into the sea on the Great Ocean Road....

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

Bogong said:
Well VSG, all my other LTK photos are zoomed right out so the viewer has a bit of perspective, that one is zoomed in a bit, so it doesn't show surrounding hills that might help in identification.

Also the slope is on the south shore of the lake facing north, so the vegetation is much drier than the relatively lush vegetation you walk through if you take the track that skirts the north shore. Anyway, that's why I think the photo is untypical of LTK.
Mr Serious. Just havin a go. :cheers:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.

VSG, people who know me well, know that I always play it straight when I suspect someone is teasing me
wink.gif

The vegetation in JAM's photo looks a bit dry for the Otways, so I'll guess it's in the Blue Mountains?

Fangin'Wolvy

First Runs
Apr 8, 2004
VIC

I'll hazard a guess it's near Oberon. It's where those caves are due to the colour of the water, the stalatite/stalitmite caves.
Stuffed if I know the name of them.
Jenolan Cave region???
Could even go so far as to say on The Balcony-Lucas Cave.
:nerd:

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist

thats sandstone fang, caves happen in limestone.
Theres a canyon near zigzag railway that looks similar, ill chase up name tonight.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

Been away on holidays. I agree VSG, Bogongs pic is very Tarli Karng for those that have been there.
smile.gif

While talking about place names....Himalaya. Not Himalayas, there is no such thing....like sheeps.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts

JAM's is a canyon somewhere in the Blue mountains.. we'll need a few more clues to narrow it down to which one. Which catchment? It definitely ain't kowmung VSG.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass