whereis_461.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
Just happened to be the one I remembered passing when doing the Lakes crossing from Bariloche (Argentine) to Puerto Montt (Chile) in 1993. Was quite overcast on that second day though, so didn't get a good view of it.
I did that crossing in 1979!! (Sorry for the interruption!)

Reactions: Heinz

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Just happened to be the one I remembered passing when doing the Lakes crossing from Bariloche (Argentine) to Puerto Montt (Chile) in 1993. Was quite overcast on that second day though, so didn't get a good view of it.
I have done the Bariloche to Pucon crossing a couple of times, it is just north of this one and goes past the Lanin volcano. The guide on our trip gave us an interesting story of a previous trip. The tour company was Australian and at that time they were using Victorian sourced and registered bikes and support vehicle.
Over summer they run two trips, Pucon to Ushuaia then Ushuaia to Pucon. After they left on the southbound trip the road rules changed in Chile and you could no longer drive a RHD car there. So they get to the border on the return trip and Chilean border control says no, you can't come in in that car. It didn't help that the support car driver was Argentinean, most of South America doesn't get on with Chile.
So the guide makes a quick phone call to the accommodation provider in Pucon and he comes to the border to pick up the trailer with all the luggage. Nope, it is illegal for a Chilean car to tow a foreign trailer. Finally they organise a flatbed truck to pick up the trailer and the trailer with luggage makes it to Pucon, while the support car driver says she will go back and stay somewhere in Argentina. Problem. Many of the border crossings in this neck of the woods are not co-located, this one has the border posts separed by about 5k's of no man's land, when she gets back to the Argentinean post it had closed for the night so a night's sleep in the car was in order.
We had a similar problem on my second crossing, the paperwork had changed between when the bikes left Chile in March and when we bought them back in August, took about 5 hours to get across the border with much to-ing and fro-ing of border officials between border posts, and this time the bikes were Chilean registered. But that was quicker than the Bolivian Argentinean border crossing, but that's another story.
Back on topic.

Reactions: Tanuki and Heinz

stallie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 22, 2006
Australia / Antarctica
South American border crossings. Always entertaining. I think we did 17 of them. Chilean quarantine are pretty strict. We were pretty aware and tried to do the right thing, but coming back across from Argentina we didn’t know that my 3yo daughter was keeping a pet pine cone in the back seat pocket.
It was found and we had to strip the car and open every bag …..

stallie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 22, 2006
Australia / Antarctica
That's the estancia to edge of the road that we were on more but am looking for the name of the nearby place on the now Ruta 40 that Chatwin described as "roadman's hotel at a crossroads of insignificant importance with roads leading all directions apparently to nowhere."

stallie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 22, 2006
Australia / Antarctica
Baja Caracolles ?
Bingo. All yours. I just love Chatwin's description. I really fell in love with that part of the world. Any town with Snail in its name is going to be memorable, one way or the other. We turned west and camped in "nowhere" then picked our way along a seldom used dirt road on eastern side of the border up to Los Antiguos.

edit - just googled Tripadvisor... "This place was not cheap, 800 pesos for a double room, so I would expect a bit more. All the rooms a full of cockroaches and cold at night. The owner is not especially welcoming"

Reactions: Summit
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass