Opinion Where next in Europe as a backup for if Japan doesn't open?

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Thank you for all of your opinions and guidance team. Great stuff. I think @CarveMan's advice that we like skiing and we like Italian food was the push we needed.

To close the loop we are about to book Italy, specifically Sella Ronda, which I keep typing as Stella Ronda... We are gunna roll the dice on the snow guns running.

Currently looking at staying in San Cassiano for the first half with day trips to Cortina and Kronplatz, and then over to Val Gardinia to get access to Seiser Alm and the western side of Sella.

I'll post in the booking thread for any further updates, and will no doubt start a elSpike's SkiSki report once the trip gets closer.
From San Cassiano (no village) remember to try 5 Torri - small but nice area and of course the Arentarola run.

As your first stay is a very small place, I would choose Selva di Val Gardina (Wolkenstein), - 1) becourse it is a larger village with life and 2) you can access to both to Ortosei/Seiser Alm and two Sella Passa/ Pass Gardena and Seiser Alm via Monte Pana as well.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Monsta

Hard Yards
Sep 8, 2017
And on the other side this:

There are some more on AltaBadias HP
I'm surprised that the crowd factor hasn't rated a mention before now.
Sella Ronda is next level for views, pistes, food and CROWDS if you're not careful. They can be fine and if you know how to avoid them you can ski near empty lifts all day. But if you get caught up in the commuting herd at the wrong place at the wrong time they can get pretty ugly. Throw in some late afternoon Italian lift queue etiquette and it's definitely a cultural experience you'll remember.

The stay in Rifugio Lagazuoi overnight and the skiing and scenery coming down from it is one of the world's peak ski experiences. Don't miss it!

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
From San Cassiano (no village) remember to try 5 Torri - small but nice area and of course the Arentarola run.

As your first stay is a very small place, I would choose Selva di Val Gardina (Wolkenstein), - 1) becourse it is a larger village with life and 2) you can access to both to Ortosei/Seiser Alm and two Sella Passa/ Pass Gardena and Seiser Alm via Monte Pana as well.
We’ve locked in a place at the base of the Dantercepies gondola for the “western side”

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I'm surprised that the crowd factor hasn't rated a mention before now.
Sella Ronda is next level for views, pistes, food and CROWDS if you're not careful. They can be fine and if you know how to avoid them you can ski near empty lifts all day. But if you get caught up in the commuting herd at the wrong place at the wrong time they can get pretty ugly. Throw in some late afternoon Italian lift queue etiquette and it's definitely a cultural experience you'll remember.

The stay in Rifugio Lagazuoi overnight and the skiing and scenery coming down from it is one of the world's peak ski experiences. Don't miss it!

I'm guessing it depends which week you go. We were early January (after New Year) and the 'crowds' were non existent.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
The crowds all go clockwise from Val Gardena to do the Sella Ronda . The chair out of town gets crazy busy but if you start early at the Dantercepies Gondola you can get in front of most goomers. My advice is go counter clockwise if starting there or Alta Badia.

Reactions: elSpike

Skifahrer

Addicted
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
I was in St. Cristina the first week of January this year. It was crowded, but we would have to queue only 1 time for 15 minutes.

Selva (Wolkenstein) is definitely a good choice as it is very central. But if you are heading for Marmolada or Gebirgsjäger Tour (strongly recommend), then Corvara would be the better choice.
I agree with the previous writers that St. Kassian is too far away from the main routes. Since you lose a lot of time in the morning to come on the Sella Ronda.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Hey @elSpike would you mind posting a link to your TR in here? I can't find it. Thanks
I haven't started one for this trip yet. I'll do that much closer to December.

General details that we know so far:
21/12 SIN-MXP (lands 22 am)
22/12-24/12 somewhere in Milano doing the jet lag dance and touristy thing.
24/12-27/12 Verona - Mr16 played Shakespeare in school production of Shakespeare in Love this year so it has to be done
27/12 - 6/1 Sella (Hotel Alaska)
6/1 - 14/1 San Cassiano (other side of Alta Badia) (Störes Hotel)
14/1-15/1 Somewhere near the MXP airport

A decent itinerary I think.

• Love
Reactions: Sbooker
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne

24/12-27/12 Verona - Mr16 played Shakespeare in school production of Shakespeare in Love this year so it has to be done

Thanks, but I meant for your previous euro trip?

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
The crowds all go clockwise from Val Gardena to do the Sella Ronda . The chair out of town gets crazy busy but if you start early at the Dantercepies Gondola you can get in front of most goomers. My advice is go counter clockwise if starting there or Alta Badia.
Plan is to do both directions at least once. Good intel on going early, but as you know, we are first lift to last lift sort of family so getting ahead of the pack should be relatively easy.

Excellent location. Have fond memories of drinks in the afternoon sun at Hotel Alaska .
Snap! We are staying there. Snagged the last of the suites with separate room for the boys.

I was in St. Cristina the first week of January this year. It was crowded, but we would have to queue only 1 time for 15 minutes.
We will do at least one day trip that direction. I assume we will need to take the ski bus to get over there?

Selva (Wolkenstein) is definitely a good choice as it is very central. But if you are heading for Marmolada or Gebirgsjäger Tour (strongly recommend), then Corvara would be the better choice.
I agree with the previous writers that St. Kassian is too far away from the main routes. Since you lose a lot of time in the morning to come on the Sella Ronda.
For the second half I think we will spend most of our time on this eastern side and over at Arabba, with day trips to Kronplatz and Cortina so not too worried about being on the quiet side.

Reactions: Hyst

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Thanks, but I meant for your previous euro trip?
Oops. Sorry. I misunderstood.

Here you go. Apologies for any spelling mistakes!

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Oops. Sorry. I misunderstood.

Here you go. Apologies for any spelling mistakes!

Tanx!

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015

My crew loved Verona. Low key compared to Milan

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
We like low key! May even carve out one night to go stay on Lake Garda just to get that waterside evening.
We spent 2 weeks in Malcesine a couple of summers ago, was stunning. As a bonus you could head up Mt Baldo and get a days skiing in to get your legs ready? The views are incredible, admittedly most of the runs face away from the lake but there is one drag lift where you would be skiing directly towards the lake. About 90 minutes from Verona.

1659690983764.png

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
@elSpike

Other places for lunch - 5 Torri:

Both are nice - but can be very busy.

With your location you will not need overnight stay up in the mountains. :cool:

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Love Verona. Have managed to avoid that balcony.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

teebee

One of Us
Aug 19, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Be interested in where you find to stay in Wagrain. I skirted through this area on the way from Radstadt to Bischofshofen this year. Flying Mozart lift with commentary from Hermann Maier is cool. It is so interconnected now. Flachau - Wagrain - Alpendorf, then Flachauwinkel to either Kleinarl or Zauchensee. Accommodation relatively cheap in Radstadt with free ski bus, but more expensive in
Funny enough we are looking to stay in Wagrain right near the base of the flying mozart.
I was able to get a good overview of the Snow Space Salzburg area from the Austrian edition of the Where to ski and snowboard book series.
Being in the middle Wagrain is ideal for exploring the whole area.
I must say thanks Heinz as your exrtensive trip reports from last season were so informative and a real inspiration to get back and explore more of Austria
My wife and I have visited numerous times and absoluely love it
We were going to base ourselves in or around Kitz or the ski amade area for 4 or 5 weeks but my wife has had some health issues so we decided to have a week on week off type of trip
Will still be heaps of fun

teebee

One of Us
Aug 19, 2009
Sydney, NSW
It’s fantastic in every way with one exception. The region doesn’t get regular snow so if your goal is to ski powder as much as possible find somewhere else.
Yes agree with this
I stayed in Selva with the missus and kids in early Jan one season and there had been little snow and i was worried
However snow making is exceptional and the whole area was open and linked
We were lucky to get some fresh snow on a couple of days but it certainly wasnt dry pow
Stunning scenery, great food and cruisy relaxed skiing.
We'll be back for a week this season this time in Corvara
Cant wait

teebee

One of Us
Aug 19, 2009
Sydney, NSW

We stayed in Trento for a few nights when we went to Madoona in the Brenta Dolomites and it is a really nice smaller city, easy to transfer to as on main train line and close to numerous ski areas. Well worth a visit

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
just recently spouse is talking about northern Norway for the northern lights
she’s a non-skier, and had given up on coming along on my various jaunts
however this time it might happen
if I end up being accepted to volunteer at Courchevel-Meribel, there might be a bit of a ski somewhere too

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using