Question Where to camp near Perisher?

stridercdh

One of Us
May 15, 2011
Canberra
Hi folks. This winter is my first season skiing in NSW since relocating, having skied in Victoria for the last ten years. I would like to know if there are any backcountry areas near Perisher (or anywhere in KNP) that are good for snow camping, and preferably relatively easy to access on skis or snowshoes e.g. within 5km of the car/trailhead? Or anywhere I can park on the roadside/parking area near a hut or toilet and camp somewhere nearby. Are there camping restrictions in KNP? I know of the paid camping areas such as Island Bend, but was hoping to find something less crowded and a little off the beaten track. I'm used to camping in places like JB Plain/Hut and all around Mt Stirling in Vic, so am wondering if there's anything similar in the NSW ranges. Many thanks.

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Probably better off camping close to civilisation. Much more exposure in NSW snow country (higher elevations overall) and for safety's sake, lower and more trees the better, generally. You could try Island Bend, near Guthega.

click for larger.
Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 05.25.22.jpg

Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/yzjL9s2oxbbgUkKQA

and as for camping in the NSW Kosci NP: https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/alpine-safety/kosciuszko-back-country-camping

Camping restrictions apply in a number of alpine areas within Kosciuszko National Park, including within the catchments of the following alpine lakes and drinking water catchments for ski resorts:

Lake Albina, Blue Lake, Club Lake, Lake Cootapatamba, and Hedley Tarn
Rock Creek (Perisher/Porcupine Area)
Pipers Creek catchment (Prussian Flat)
Stilwell Creek (Stillwell/Charlotte Pass)
Blue Cow Creek (New and Old Farm Creeks)
Also within 30m of rivers, streams and lakes
There are also restrictions within 200m of the following:
Charlotte Pass, Crackenback Chairlift, Guthega Village and Guthega Power Station track heads.
Crackenback Chairlift to Mount Kosciuszko walkway
Summit of Mount Kosciuszko and Rawson Pass
Where the Main Range walk crosses the Snowy River at Foremans Crossing (immediately below Charlotte Pass)

Any road open to public vehicle access except designated walk-in campsites

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
The overnight car park at Guthega should work ok as an access point for you. A few kilometres from there can have you in a variety of nice campsites. No facilities away from the resort itself of course. You are not supposed to camp in any watershed of any of the old glacial lakes. Usually best to seek a sheltered site given the variable weather.

Reactions: stridercdh

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
There are many options to snow camp close to Perisher. The simplest is to head east, past the xc trails, for the best protection and you'll find great places, eg east side of Mt Wheatley. Further out, plenty of well protected little nooks and crannies which overlook crackenback valley. If you go little further, up the road to perisher Gap, then traverse around Mt Perisher at the gap elevation, and into the valley behind Perisher and before the Paralyses. You'll also find some very well protected sitse in that area. All within cooee of Perisher.

stridercdh

One of Us
May 15, 2011
Canberra
There are many options to snow camp close to Perisher. The simplest is to head east, past the xc trails, for the best protection and you'll find great places, eg east side of Mt Wheatley. Further out, plenty of well protected little nooks and crannies which overlook crackenback valley. If you go little further, up the road to perisher Gap, then traverse around Mt Perisher at the gap elevation, and into the valley behind Perisher and before the Paralyses. You'll also find some very well protected sitse in that area. All within cooee of Perisher.
That's great thanks. How far is Mt Wheatley?

stridercdh

One of Us
May 15, 2011
Canberra
The overnight car park at Guthega should work ok as an access point for you. A few kilometres from there can have you in a variety of nice campsites. No facilities away from the resort itself of course. You are not supposed to camp in any watershed of any of the old glacial lakes. Usually best to seek a sheltered site given the variable weather.
Thanks. By Guthega do you mean the town or power station?

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
The ”town” - it’s a bit down the road from the day car park.

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
That's great thanks. How far is Mt Wheatley?
Wheatley is across the road from the lifts. Access via the Porcupine trail then head south or via Perisher Gap then head east. Time wise varies of course but 35-45 minutes easily with a pack on.

Reactions: skifree

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I have camped at Island bend in September and XC skied at Perisher. I have hiked up from Guthega power station and camped at Horse Camp Hut .It is not far.
Guthega ski resort is not what I would call a town. The road up there is not sealed so take chains in your AWD or 4 x4 car.
I have also camped at Ngarigo and XC skied from Spencer's creek gate to Charlotte pass and back .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass